Glad that’s over with

While I’m really proud that I ran a half-marathon and still have the shiny medal to prove it, THANK GOD THE TRAINING IS OVER! Yes, that is deserving of big, blocky, all-capital letters. My training program took all the fun out of exercise, and exercise is hard enough to do when it is fun.

Some days I would look at my training schedule and think, “Oh, dear Lord. I have to run 45 minutes tonight or else I’m going to collapse in a pile of goo at mile 10 on race day.” That was the dreadful thing, knowing that I had to do these long-ass runs or else I might not be able to complete the race. And I’d already told a bazillion people I was running a half-marathon, so I had to do it. The training took up so much of my time, that I eventually stopped doing anything but running for the last month, completely neglecting weight training or core strengthening exercises. My exercise routing became very unbalanced.

I still like to run, but 20-30 minutes a day is enough for me. Here’s a pic of me about halfway through the half-marathon. Does it look like I’m having fun?

Some day this race will be over

I like that I can play things by ear now. I can come home and think, “Hmmmm, haven’t done weights for a couple days. I guess I’ll do some lifting.” Or if it’s been a really long day and I’ve been good about working out earlier in the week, I can just take the day off. It’s more flexible. There’s more variety in my activities. It’s much better all around. And I don’t have to buy gel-packs anymore.

Which is not to say I’ll never run another half-marathon. I’m mulling the possibility of doing the Indy 500 Mini again next year. But it definitely inserted a bit of chaos into my life. It’s nice settling back into my old routines and knowing I don’t have to run 13.1 miles again any time soon.

Marla • June 5, 2008 at 8:58 am

Whoo-hoo!

You do not look like you’re having fun, but you look like you’re crossing a finish line in first place.

Congrats.

Elizabeth • June 5, 2008 at 9:45 am

I hear you on the training taking up too much time thing! I have thoroughly enjoyed having more time to do things other than running over the last month… although I have gotten really lazy, so maybe I shouldn’t take so much time for other activities! Have a good weekend! :-)

dietgirl • June 5, 2008 at 9:51 am

Oh maaaan, I am jealous PQ… I cannot wait for my stinking marathon walk to be done as it hogs one whole day a weekend just to PLOD AND PLOD AND PLOD!

Love that piccie :)

AKS • June 5, 2008 at 10:36 am

it’s only a matter of time before you sign up for a full marathon.

PastaQueen • June 5, 2008 at 10:38 am

If by time you mean 50 billion years, then yes, it is.

Tracy • June 5, 2008 at 10:49 am

While I don’t think it looks like you’re having a single bit of fun, it does look like you’re crossing the finish line! :) I have to say, though, that I don’t run – walking, occasionally, is exercise enough for me at this stage! – but I think you’re doing incredibly well.

Go you! :D

Jenna • June 5, 2008 at 11:20 am

Great job on running the race!

deanna • June 5, 2008 at 11:44 am

No it does not look like you are having fun. You do have bragging rights though! As I run every day, every step I say, I have no freaking desire to run 13.1 miles straight, I’ll take my 4 and be happy with that… or 6 if I ever get there!! Glad you have your variety back (w/exercise), it is the spice of life!

JEM • June 5, 2008 at 12:51 pm

My best friend runs marathons, she is addicted. Every year she is so happy when training is over and says she’ll never do it again, but the next year she always does.

You never know.

sarah j • June 5, 2008 at 12:55 pm

You captured it EXACTLY. I’m training for the MS150 on a bike… and I perseverate every day about when do I get the miles in this week, where do I have a block of four hours, will I not finish the two day event? HOWEVER, since it pushes me further than I’ve ever gone before (4 hours of exercise? really?) … I’m trying to take the good with the bad. Congrats on learning you did NOT collapse into a pile of GOO. And may I soon also follow suit (i.e. no goo!).

sarah j • June 5, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Julie • June 5, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Great job!! Keep up the good work!

Andrew is getting fit • June 5, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Yep, the training is rather daunting. But it’s worth it. :)

And you look great in your race!

Marshmallow • June 5, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I’ve found that too with training for ‘long’ races (of course, I still believe that 5km is a ‘long’ run, what a wuss!) you find yourself doing nothing but running and your training goes out of whack. Naturally, I’m a selfish bugger and will not give up my Body Jam and RPM for nothing, not nobody not no how. At least for my triathlon training I had to swim as well as run, totally forced me into cross training – as for weights?

Yeah… I did those once…

Natalie C • June 5, 2008 at 6:10 pm

It’s a win-win-win situation. You accomplished running the race, you get to be done with the training, and your body needs some variety, anyway. It’s used to your training program, so now switching activities may make you even lose a little extra weight?

MB • June 5, 2008 at 6:23 pm

The fun part is when you get to brag that you finished it. Glad to hear you are enjoying mixing it up instead of always being on the run.

I’m trying to find fun in running or at least trying to run. Couch to 5K here I come. :)

Cindy • June 5, 2008 at 7:52 pm

I want the discipline of training for something without actually having to do the “something” at the end. It is too easy to take a break or skip exercise when you are not “in training.” I like the idea of having lots of different things to choose from, though, as I have the attention span of a gnat. Maybe it is time to make a “raining calendar” without actually training for anything ~ maybe I am ready for that kind of strategy….hmm…

Patty • June 5, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Way to go on your race!!! Awesome. Not many people can say they did a 1/2 marathon. Some day here soon I’m gonna get back into jogging….I don’t really enjoy it much though but I’ll keep trying. My hubby is really into the triathalons and he will do the ‘escape from Alcatraz’ this weekend in San Francisco. Should be fun to go and I’ll try to watch but it’s hard to see them much.

Angela • June 5, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Hi,

I just started South Beach this past Monday and it’s been great!! I wanted to thank you for taking the time to document your story. I just read your book a couple of weeks ago and am now in the process of reading your blog archives. Your story is reassuring me that through hard work, discipline and knowledge, this thing called “weight loss” is attainable.

Congrats on completing the half-marathon!! Perhaps next year that might be me!!

Angela

Deb • June 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm

As someone just starting out towards losing nearly half my weight, seeing you post about running a half marathon is very inspiring. It’s a testament to adaptability of the human body when the human in charge of the body sets her mind to make it adapt! Yes, we can make change happen!

JEMi @ MyFavoriteDietBlog.com • June 6, 2008 at 4:26 am

PQ you rock! I love that picture by the way

Man I need to read back on you blog.. I keep trying to take up running and some days I can.. and others.. its like pulling teeth sans the anesthetic. GREAT GREAT job!!!!

kw • June 6, 2008 at 9:26 am

Are you planning on doing it again? Next year is my 4th mini. It’s on my birthday, I basically started getting into better shape a few days after this past year’s because I want a better time next year.

Cricket • June 6, 2008 at 9:57 am

Did you ever consider that your headaches were from training and being dehydrated. I know when I am training for a race and I put in serious miles. I get a headache like clock work 4-5 hours after I train. I think it’s lack of water.

Just a thought.

PastaQueen • June 6, 2008 at 10:05 am

I don’t think there’s anyway I could be dehydrated for 3 and a half months straight, especially not with all the water I’ve been drinking lately. I have to go pee, like, every 2 hours.

Adrienne • June 6, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Yes, I hear you. after my race, it was definitely a relief to not be thinking “if I don’t do all my training this week, I will surely die during the half-marathon”. In some ways the mindset was useful – it made me complete the training and I did not die during my half marathon. But it was also a heavy burden. I’ve signed up to do another one, but am contemplating walking it. It will still be great exercise to prepare for walking the 13.1 miles and this race gives a longer time frame for completion. (the previous one I did a combination of run 3 minutes walk 1 to make sure I could finish in time).

Cricket • June 6, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Maybe your not dehydrated, but maybe your headaches will ease up once your training eases up. You also could be lacking in minerals that you lose from sweating. Hope they go away soon, it stinks having a headache all the time…makes me very grouchy :) -cricket

jen • June 7, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Congrats! I dream of being able to run 13.1 myself but cannot seem to bust my 7-mile plateau. And I’m only able to run that far on days when I feel extra saucy. I keep saying I’m aiming for a half-marathon, but so far it seems to be just big talk. Give yourself a hearty pat on the back!

Greta • June 8, 2008 at 3:02 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!

When I was running I found that 5K and 10K runs were FUN and anything with “marathon” in the title was not. I ran a full marathon, and several 10-milers but found that 10K’s are a REALLY TERRIFIC weekend activity with normal running during the week.

GREAT JOB!

Rachel • June 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Congratulations! I just started reading your blog, and also recently completed a very slowww 12k, and you inspire me on both counts.

Laurin • June 9, 2008 at 12:42 pm

That is so awesome, Jennette! You must be so proud of your accomplishment! I’m only about 30 lbs. less than your starting weight at the moment and your book, which I bought on amazon.com and started reading a few days ago, is really an inspiration! Keep up the good work!

Online Health and Fitness • June 16, 2008 at 1:34 am

I am also into badminton I do every weekends with my friends and it seems a great help for to lose weight.

Rob • January 26, 2010 at 11:09 am

Good job on the race! I saw this on the “featured” section of your site. I am the same way… but I did not want to feature it on my site.
I ran a 1/2 last year… I thought I was going to die. Now I just like to run 20-30 mins a day…. Glad to hear someone else is the same way. Guess I am not as big a freak as I thought I was.