Flashlight Pilates

Suddenly the only light in my apartment was the glow of my widescreen monitor and a beeping started counting down the minutes until the battery in my power supply would die out. It was only 10:00pm on a Saturday and I wasn’t ready to go to bed.

“Well then, I guess I have absolutely no reason to do Pilates!” So I did, in the dark, by the light of my Dynamo Radio/flashlight. It was the free gift I got for renewing a credit card membership, which is way cooler than the pedometer I got last year. If the apocalypse ever comes, I won’t have to raid convenience stores for AA batteries to see the demon spawn of hell attacking. I can just hand crank the battery charger myself!

Radio that will help me survive the apocalypse

I’d been avoiding working my core that day because my core was sore. I let my exercise routine slip during my book promotions and when I started doing Pilates again last week it hurt to laugh the next day. But I didn’t want to try reading by flashlight, and I couldn’t watch TV or work on the computer, so Pilates it was. Power outages = good for my health.

I rolled out my mat and went through my routine by the dim glow of flashlight. I tuned the radio to a station playing U2′s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” It was all very serene and meditative – until the DJ’s started talking about fake eyelashes. For over five minutes. I didn’t know you could talk about fake eyelashes for that long, so I assumed they would get back to the music. But they didn’t. After hearing brand comparisons and learning that you should trim the edges of the cheaper brands because they weigh the eye down, I decided I’d had enough of this personal hell and turned the radio off. I finished my Pilates in silence and then went to bed.

I later learned a tornado touched down on the east side of town, so I was pretty lucky my roof didn’t get torn off while I was doing The Plank. Which you think my radio would tell me about, but tornado warnings evidently aren’t as important as the length of my lashes.

Katy • June 4, 2008 at 9:01 am

I’ve come to hate radio DJs. Right now there’s a power outage in one of the eastern suburbs and the news channel is talking about how fat Britney’s gotten over the years.

Although I assume the people whose power is out aren’t listening to the radio right now.

Not the point.

Karen • June 4, 2008 at 9:43 am

I’m giving everybody a rechargable flashlight for Christmas this year – ours has been going strong for over 10 years and it’s great to always know where it is and not have to fret about batteries.

I keep thinking about Pilates – wonder if it can be done by a 51 year old with arthritic hips?

JourneyGirl • June 4, 2008 at 10:55 am

Hey that’s great that you can do your pilates routine by heart!I always need a video to motivate me.

So do you know what caused the blackout?

PastaQueen • June 4, 2008 at 11:12 am

Thunder, lightning, rain. It’s thunderstorm season here in Indiana.

G.G. • June 4, 2008 at 11:24 am

Many local news channels will advertise the radio station they’ll report weather info on during emergencies–I keep a list next to my flashlight–which was not free, btw. Nice score!

Stacie • June 4, 2008 at 11:35 am

I miss the thunderstorms of the midwest most since I moved to the east coast. Sitting in our metal chairs (we’re obviously not very bright) in the garage, my mom and I would talk about the storms and life in general. One of my favorite parts about growing up.

And the crank flashlight was an amazing invention! How can you expect to find batteries for the flashlight when you don’t have a flashlight to look? So smart.

Andrew is getting fit • June 4, 2008 at 2:54 pm

I’ve got to get myself one of those crank flashlights!

Mich • June 4, 2008 at 4:05 pm

If you go to the website of the National Weather Service at http://www.weather.gov, you can sign up to have tornado warnings and other severe weather alerts sent to you by e-mail or texted to your cell phone. Very useful if your area is prone to them.

starbird • June 4, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Me, too! One of my favorite things about living in Michigan were the hurried trips to the basement during tornado warnings. It was like a little party for us and our daughters.

BTW, speaking of equipment – I, too, have a dynamo radio and just love it. I can get an all-classical station if the rest of the dial annoys me.

Also, I just got a Tanita – I see the ad for it next to your blog every time I log on. But, I got one just like it at the Big 5 Sports store here in town for just $40! neener, neener ;-)

starbird • June 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm

We got air raid siren warnings. Very scary. Then, when we moved to Oregon, before I found out that they used air raid warning sirens to call the fire department volunteers to fight a fire, I used to look for cover when I heard one go off.

tricia • June 4, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Hi Pq! im quite impressed with your motivation! i definitly dont think i could do it in silence! Big banging huge thunderstorms are one of my favorite things about living in Michigan. Its even better when you get to watch one on one of our fabulously impressive great lakes. Nothing better.

Cathy • June 4, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Hi…I’ve read your blog after seeing it advertised on the ELFF diet blog. I am happy to know that you’re in Indiana. I live about 2 hours north. It makes you seem a bit more real. Quick question – if you get time to answer. How long did it take for your eyes to “see” your new body and not your old sizes? Over the past 2 years, I’ve lost 46 pounds and while people make the comment that I’m skinny…my brain just doesn’t register it. I still have a ways to go…I’d love to lose 1 or 2 more pants sizes…but I know that I’m healthier now. I even came down and did the Indy mini. Anyways, thanks in advance for any answers. And thanks for being so open on your blog. It’s nice to read honesty!

PastaQueen • June 5, 2008 at 7:12 am

I adjusted to my new size pretty quickly. I was checking myself out in the mirror every day, recalibrating my self image. I’m also pretty young (27), so even though I always thought of myself as a fat chick, I hadn’t had that self-identity for as long as someone who loses weight in their 50′s. Good luck with the weight loss!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada