Today’s entry about yesterday’s Today

Thanks to the NBC tech monkeys, you can watch my appearance on The Today Show here. If you are a new reader, thanks for stopping by! You may like to read some of my best entries here and check out my product recommendations here if you’re looking for tools to start your weight loss journey.

Thank you to everyone who has left comments and sent me emails about my appearance! However, those of you who have complimented my hair and make up should redirect your accolades to Joel and Hair-Guy-Who’s-Name-I-Didn’t-Catch who made me look more fabulous than I shall ever look again.

Looking fabulous is hard work

I shall write more about my New York adventure soon, and, oh yeah, get back to blogging about health and fitness too. Just as soon as I take a long, long, nap.

Jill • May 12, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Yay!! I’m the first?! You looked absolutely beautiful!! you did so great!

I finished the book on Friday and I loved it! My favorite line in the whole book? “My amplifier is turned up to 11.” You rock.

Jill • May 12, 2008 at 3:22 pm

sorry – correct quote is “I have the amplifier turned up to eleven” I figure if you are going to write it, I should quote it correctly!! =)

Clio • May 12, 2008 at 3:36 pm

You did look amazing, but most of all you sounded so professional and sexy (in a totally platonic non-lesbian way). I have always expected, based on your blog and what little I know of you, for you to sound goofy. But you sounded like a grown up! Is that weird to say?

Clio • May 12, 2008 at 3:43 pm

(ugh) – by goofy I don’t mean stupid, I just mean, you know… “not like you sounded on TV” (sigh)

BrightAngel • May 12, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I watched it yesterday, and you did good.

Crabby McSlacker • May 12, 2008 at 4:08 pm

You really were awesome–though by being so smart and articulate you made the interviewer seem a little doofy in comparison.

I hope hundreds of thousands of copies of Half-Assed are finding their way to eager readers everywhere. Or hell, lets say millions, why not?

dietgirl • May 12, 2008 at 4:17 pm

So so cool. And holy crap, is there any freakier instrument in the world than the EYELASHER CURLER!?!

Lori • May 12, 2008 at 4:28 pm

You looked terrific and answered your questions so well! So excited for you!

Lori

adventuresoflori.com

Debra • May 12, 2008 at 4:29 pm

You were just fabulous on TV yesterday & yes you are beautiful!! I too finished your book Friday & really enjoyed it. You have a great way with word pictures!!

Even though people look at me and say I’m not “fat”, I struggle with weight/fitness/healthy choices on a daily basis. My older sister had weight loss surgery & it scares me that I could end up in her shoes if I’m not careful.

Thank you for your delightful & funny insight into our weight loss world.

radiosilents • May 12, 2008 at 4:34 pm

That was so great! You seemed so at-ease on camera, and you looked fab, too. (I would have hated having to sit on those stool thingys, though!)

Yay!

Judith • May 12, 2008 at 4:40 pm

You looked beautiful and so poised during the interview. Congratulations and may you sell many, many books.

Danielle • May 12, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Great job on the interview!

You have a nice voice.

By the way, I received a gift card to a chain book store for Mother’s Day, so I couldn’t resist going and getting your book.

I panicked as I searched the section the store clerk pointed me to and couldn’t find your book… there was only one copy left!

That’s gotta be good news, right?

Well, it’s mine now!

I started it last night. So far, so good!

JEM • May 12, 2008 at 4:50 pm

I scared my hubby when I started screaming at the tv, “I know her, I know her, well kind of!” Ha! You did look wonderful and I am so glad you are getting your time in the spotlight to encourage others.

Sunny • May 12, 2008 at 5:23 pm

I TiVo’d it (so I could sleep in) you did great (a bit nervous, but your great personality and sense of humor started to come very quickly). It was too short though – I wanted MORE – your book will have to be my 30 lb reward to myself! I can’t wait. Congratulations! Awesome job…

Marla • May 12, 2008 at 5:34 pm

I did catch you and I’m so glad I did – I almost missed it. You were great, and so funny that you couldn’t say the name of the book!

The whole time I watched, I kept thinking, “She reminds me of someone… I can’t quite think of who…” All I could figure out is that it’s a man — not in a mean way, like you look like a guy (you TOTALLY DON’T, BABY!) but as if you were the sister of this person. It’s still driving me nuts. Do people ever tell you that you look like so-and-so?

PastaQueen • May 12, 2008 at 5:42 pm

There was an online gadget that let you upload your photo and it would tell you what celebrity you looked like. It told me I looked like Brendan Fraser. Other than that, people sometimes say I look like Katie Holmes or Jennifer Connelly.

Melanie • May 12, 2008 at 5:47 pm

You totally rocked on Today! I loved at the end when you said “it’s called Half-something” when you tried to get a quick plug in for your book. I wish they would have spent more time with you. It would have been cool for you to be on the Joy Fit Club which is done on Mondays – you would have gotten more time on that segment.

I’m just curious, why will you not say that you did/do the South Beach Diet? I know in the book you say that everyone has to find their own way and I get that, but you are very open about it here on the blog. Just wondering…

Can’t wait to hear all about your time in NYC!!!

Red • May 12, 2008 at 6:03 pm

You did look amazing! And you seemed very comfortable in front of the camera, not at all shaky or nervous.

I get why you didn’t exactly want to mention the specific diet you used, because it is very personal and what works for you might not necessarily work for the person watching. I’ve had people insist to me that taking a tablespoon of olive oil with a glass of water before every meal would make you lose weight. I admit, I thought about doing it out of sheer morbid curiosity, but I just can’t see how that would work for me (I mean…yuck!).

Becca • May 12, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Today talking on the phone to my mother (who’s in the US, I’m in the UK) she starts to tell me about “this girl on TV” who lost a lot of weight and wrote a book with “ass” in the title. I laughed and said “Mom, I’ve read her blog for over a year, I know all about her”. Anyway, you’re on my mom’s radar now so you must be making it big (so to speak)!

Cleo • May 12, 2008 at 6:08 pm

I TiVoed your segment and watched it last night, and you were awesome — so poised and pretty! And you remind me a little bit of Drew Barrymore (especially around the mouth), in my opinion. Congrats on all of your accomplishments; this blog was one of the reasons I decided to get serious about my health and hire a personal trainer, and everytime I want to say “Srew it, I’m not going today!” I come here and read about how you were training for a freaking half-marathon, and I get up and haul my full-size ass to the gym for my workout. I will be getting your book on my way home from work today, and I look forward to enjoying evey page of it.

I wish you many more successes (so when’s the full marathon?) and all the happiness you truly deserve.

Katie • May 12, 2008 at 6:10 pm

You did a great job!

I started laughing when I saw how they censored the “SS” in Half-assed when they showed your book cover! Too sassy (assy?) for the Today Show!

sarah • May 12, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Thanks so much for posting that link!! I totally missed it (I was working out) on Sunday. You did a great job!! I am going to order your book tonight, too. I’ve been meaning to and this just gave me the push. Keep up the great work. You are a true inspiration to us all.

zelda • May 12, 2008 at 7:06 pm

wow! you looked awesome! your skin, your make-up! niiiiice! :)

Leanna Hamill • May 12, 2008 at 7:16 pm

I just found your blog a few weeks ago, and bought your book at Barnes and Noble today!

Congratulations!!

PastaQueen • May 12, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Someone else asked me about that, and basically I don’t want to take responsibility for anyone else’s health. I like SBD, but honestly any nutritionally sensible diet that has you eating less calories than you burn will result in weight loss. So, I truly believe everyone needs to find what works for them, and that might not be SBD for everyone. I also don’t want to sound like a shill for the program, especially since they’re not paying me anything :)

Helen • May 12, 2008 at 7:39 pm

I too loved the final giggle when you mentioned the name of your book — it sucks that we’re such a puritanical country that you can’t say “ass” on tv!!!! Anyway…like everyone else, I thought you looked great and it was fun to hear you talk after all this time. I’m saving the book for beach reading in Mexico, but it’s gonna be hard to wait for 10 more days… ;-)

Dara Chadwick • May 12, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Just read your interview over at Cranky Fitness. Congratulations! I’m off to read the archives…

Boilergrad1993 • May 12, 2008 at 8:03 pm

I set my clock to get up early yesterday and watch..You did a GREAT job!! I was so impressed by how natural you looked, I would have been puking all over the place. I loved the little ‘ladies’ covering the ‘ss’ on the book. BTW, finally ordered a treadmill last night (Proform 7.5), thanks for pointing me into the right direction. Now go get some sleep…I can’t imagine how exhausted you must be after the week you’ve had.

Shelladawn • May 12, 2008 at 8:04 pm

WOW,YOU LOOKED BEAUTIFUL AND SO POISED.I guess you were probably nervous but it didn’t come through.And I can’t believe that you couldn’t say “assed” on tv.It would be “arsed” here in Australia and trust me,no matter what time of the day you could let that slip and no-one would blink an eye!And I hope you got to meet or get a glimpse of Susan Sarandon.And once again, you did great.

TOWR • May 12, 2008 at 8:14 pm

You looked BEAUTIFUL and you did so well! You have hot lips, sister! Meeeow!

susan • May 12, 2008 at 8:24 pm

You really do look so beautiful, and you’re so articulate – you don’t even seem nervous!!

america • May 12, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Oh my gosh…effing gorgeous!

Elizabeth • May 12, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Oh, you look so cute and smart! Yay!

Also, how awesome is it that they had to star out part of the title of your book? You’re too potty mouthed for the Today Show!

MamaMaven • May 12, 2008 at 8:58 pm

You looked great and seemed wonderfully calm. I loved hearing the voice I read all of the time. So, of all the Today Show folks you met, who was your favorite?

Erin • May 12, 2008 at 9:05 pm

I finally got to watch the episode when I got home yesterday, and you did great! I hope you had an enjoyable day in the city. I had a great time, and I guess I’m lucky Lori got me the “in” so that I’m one of your privileged readers who have been able to meet you.

PastaQueen • May 12, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Actually, as far as on-air talent goes, I only got to meet Lester Holt. But he was very nice and had a very firm handshake!

VerseFameBeauty • May 12, 2008 at 9:58 pm

You looked amazing and were also so calm, cool and collected! Awesome, awesome job. :-)

Merry • May 13, 2008 at 12:44 am

She’s right! I have no idea why, but when Cleo wrote ‘Drew Barrymore’ something inside me said ‘Of course! /That’s/ who she looks like!’

Mary • May 13, 2008 at 12:57 am

Jennette–I TiVo’d the show and watched it last night. I thought you were very well-spoken. I would have been a total wreck!! I also enjoyed seeing you get the recognition for your accomplishment and the book. Too bad you couldn’t say the actual title. That seemed a little silly.

Congrats and hope you were able to enjoy the experience.

Jennifer • May 13, 2008 at 2:59 am

Hi there! I don’t usually comment but almost always read. I had to delurk to say that I really think you did a fab job! You looked fantastic and sounded great as well! Congrats!

Andrew is getting fit • May 13, 2008 at 5:00 am

I’ll have to wait for someone to stick it on youtube as we don’t get that show here!

Marla • May 13, 2008 at 7:01 am

YES BRENDAN FRASER THAT’S IT THANK YOU!!!

Now I can sleep.

lisa • May 13, 2008 at 7:14 am

I can’t believe they didn’t let ‘assed’ on the air.

When you were getting your book deal worked out, was any thought given (by you or your publishers) to various media’s obscenity standards wrt the title?

Deborah • May 13, 2008 at 7:42 am

Great interview on the Today Show. I set the DVR to record it and just happened to be in front of the tube when you came on so I got to watch you live. And I let it record too and watched it again later in the day. Now when I read your blog I can hear your voice in the words. You did a stupendous job!! But I knew you would. And you looked wonderful!!

Got your book on Thursday and am 3/4 through it. Boy, can I ever relate!! Just wish I’d had it to read way back “in the olden days” when I first lost weight. I might not have gained it all back (plus) many, many times. Course you were but a twinkle in your Mother’s eyes when I went on my first diet, hell, your Mother was probably just a twinkle in her Mom’s eyes then.

I’m very proud of you.

PastaQueen • May 13, 2008 at 7:53 am

I don’t remember having any discussions about obscenity standards. Mostly I was just concerned with telling my mother I wrote a book called “Half-Assed.” I believe another title from my publisher called “Boobs” had problems with bookstores, and I don’t see why they would consider that to be a naughty word. I think people are just weird about this stuff and they like to err on the side of caution instead of the side of a $5000 fine.

Tonia • May 13, 2008 at 8:30 am

You did such a great job. It is nice to finally be able to put your voice to the words I read daily. As a fellow Hoosier I am so proud of all you’ve accomplished. I only wish your motivation would rub off on me. I keep reading (book and blog) in hopes that it will finally click for me too!!

Belletriste • May 13, 2008 at 9:22 am

(New poster, longtime reader here)

You were great! The one thing that struck me was that you didn’t get to talk about exercise at all (apart from running the half-marathon, but not the actual training). I wonder if they didn’t think that would be interesting enough – and whether it’s a symptom of the general focus on “dieting”?

Michelle • May 13, 2008 at 10:40 am

Here’s an online link to the segment, for those who could not watch it Sunday and have no TiVo… http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/24564875#24564875

Joyce • May 13, 2008 at 11:26 am

Had to go to a Mother’s Day yoga class so I did not see your interview until later. I tried to Tivo it but did not work. You were great and so professional. Can’t wait to hear about Lester Holt. He is my favorite!

I am about halfway through your book and it is great. I tell everyone who will listen to buy it. Hope they do!!

Joyce

Vicky • May 13, 2008 at 12:25 pm

You appeared to be very poised and confident on the show. I was so proud of you!

Lauren • May 13, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I saw you on the today show and decided to check out your blog, it’s really inspiring and entertaining. Congratulations on everything.

es • May 13, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Okay, someone needs to put the interview on YouTube because I’m using Linux, so MSNBC streaming doesn’t work, and I don’t own a TV.

Congratulations!!!!!

Laura • May 13, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Just wanted to say how GREAT you were on your interview. I love that pic of the hair and makeup dudes. Awesome!

Patty • May 14, 2008 at 3:04 am

Wow! Big things been happening for you! I’ve followed your blog for a year or more and you have come so far. Awesome job on the today show, thanks for the link. Exciting!!! Hope you sell tons of books.

Kate T • May 14, 2008 at 12:37 pm

I saw your appearance also. I thought you sounded as articulate as you write (and Lester DID sound like a dufus!). I found it ironic that they listed your book name in the DVR description of the show, but you couldn’t SAY the name on air. What prudes the censors are.

Congratulations.

Kate

Sally Parrott Ashbrook • May 14, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Don’t have tv but just watched it online–you did a great job! It’s silly they wouldn’t let you say “assed” on their show–give me a break.

Diana the Scale Junkie • May 14, 2008 at 6:40 pm

You did SO good and you the hair and makeup team did a fabulous job (but they had good material to work with) It still shocks me that they won’t say Assed on Sunday morning TV. They will show a penis at 8am in Europe but you can’t say ASSED here?

PastaQueen • May 14, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Well, obviously I need to promote my book in Europe :)

Adrienne • May 15, 2008 at 8:50 am

Finally watched it last night – you were great. On the substantive side, you were articulate and thoughtful. On the more frivolous side, I loved, loved your makeup. And finally, I loved how you got to tell your mom Happy Mother’s Day on national tv :-)

MB • May 18, 2008 at 12:47 am

There was only one in my bookstore too! Hopefully they are selling like hotcakes. I told the manager they better order more. :)

MB • May 18, 2008 at 12:49 am

I need to get myself a tech monkey!

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine