TiVo alert a.k.a. why I’m flying to New York this weekend

I answered my cell phone and the woman on the other line said, “Oh my God, you’re in the TiVo.”

“I know!” I exclaimed to my Aunt E. “Isn’t it crazy?” If you’ve got your TiVo remote handy, you can use it to search for The Today Show and set it to record the Sunday morning Mother’s Day show on May 11th. (ETA: Local air times vary. Check your listings.) I’ll be promoting my book and wearing an outfit that hopefully makes me look very slim. I’m set to appear on the same episode as Susan Sarandon. Do you think she’ll sing Rocky Horror songs with me in the green room?

My appearance has been planned for over a week, but I’ve been afraid to mention it for fear that it might not actually happen. God knows I could still get bumped if terrorists blow up the Brooklyn Bridge that day. And there’s still a paranoid part of me that wonders if I’ll get to the studio and they’ll decide I’m too fat to go on TV. TV anchors are such teeny, tiny people in real life that I’m sure I’m going to look huge in comparison. However, now that travel arrangements have been made and I’ve sent them lots of photos, I feel like this might actually be happening. That, and my name is now appearing in common household electronics, as if my spirit is haunting the blender.

I don’t know yet who will be interviewing me, though it will probably be Jenna Wolf or Lester Holt. I wanted to thank everybody who’s been involved in making this happen and scheduling my plans. (They know who they are.) I feel very lucky to get an opportunity for national exposure like this and I’ll try to do you all proud. At the very least I’ll try not to trip over the camera wires.

If you were at my book release party this weekend, I broke the news to you first. Speaking of which, I will try to write a post about the party this week (as soon as I give up sleep and sort through the photos).

The funniest thing though is that when I pulled up the listing on my mom’s TiVo, there was a bit of an optical illusion due to the font selection and how close the letters were together. So instead of looking like “Jennette Fulda” it looks like someone named “Jennette Fukla” is scheduled to appear. I don’t know who this Fukla chick is, but she better not steal my thunder.

Thanks in advance for all your good wishes!

barbara • May 7, 2008 at 9:55 am

ATTENTION ALL PASTA QUEEN FANS: check your local listings, as they say! The weekend edition of the Today Show airs in different places at diffferent times — so 9am may not be where it airs in your town. Just a heads-up so you don’t miss our heroine!

Danielle • May 7, 2008 at 9:58 am

Wow, that is SO exciting!

Give Matt a smootch for me.

I haven’t advanced to the 21st century yet, so my VCR will be set to record it!

PastaQueen • May 7, 2008 at 9:59 am

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve edited the entry.

Vicky • May 7, 2008 at 10:28 am

Wow!! Supercalifragilistic.

Kalyn • May 7, 2008 at 10:39 am

Wow, wow, wow! Way to go! I hardly ever turn on the TV, so I hope I can remember to watch.

Miz Robyn • May 7, 2008 at 10:45 am

Oh my god, that is so exciting! I can’t wait to see it!!!!

mickey • May 7, 2008 at 10:52 am

congrats on your big appearance! and have fun in NYC. not sure how long you’ll be in town or if you’ve been here before. if you get a chance, especially if it’s nice outside while you’re here, i highly recommend walking over the brooklyn bridge. it’s beautiful and a great view.

Laura • May 7, 2008 at 10:55 am

AWESOME! You’re gonna rock it, girl!

JEM • May 7, 2008 at 11:08 am

Ahhh! I am so happy for you! Can’t wait to watch!

Mymsie • May 7, 2008 at 11:12 am

WOW – congrats! This is so exciting! I will definitely watch. I’m SO sorry about missing the party. At the last minute I got tickets to see Obama. If only you and he could’ve combined your events somehow. ;)

PastaQueen • May 7, 2008 at 11:17 am

Ha! If Obama’s people are reading, I’d like to let them know I’m perfectly open to hosting joint events :)

adrienne • May 7, 2008 at 11:25 am

PQ-

You make me long for a TiVo so I can see your listing in person!

Congratulations! You’re going to rock! Um, this is kind of immodest, but you might call the Indy bookstores to let them know that an Indy writer will be featured on the Today Show Sunday in case they want to have a few extra copies on hand!

Julie • May 7, 2008 at 11:34 am

How cool! GL!!

TOWR • May 7, 2008 at 11:38 am

SHUT! UP! You’re FAMOUS!!!

Amy • May 7, 2008 at 11:41 am

Congrats again! Hey, I posted a few pics of the release party at my site. Your mom was a good organizer/host!

valerie • May 7, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Congratulations! Are you going to be doing any book events in New York while you’re here?

MizFit • May 7, 2008 at 12:34 pm

IM

SO

EXCITED

FOR

YOU!!

who knew I could be so pumped up for a stranger :)

congrats.

MizFit

Drina • May 7, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Killer! I’m definitely taping it (yes that’s right, no Tivo for me…)

You’ve come a LONG way!

Deborah • May 7, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Just jumped up from the computer and set the DVR (my version of TiVo). Can’t wait to see you. I know you’ll look wonderful in your new body. Forget about all those anorexic TV types, we all know they aren’t real people like you anyway.

Congratulations!!

Michael Gariety • May 7, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Congrats, just dont jump up on the couch and call Matt glib .

Keep on inspiring me.

Cathleen • May 7, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Well, welcome to the Big Apple! I hope you’ve got a couple of days to look around — this is a great city. Let me know if I can give you any tourist tips or anything like that. I’ll even tour you around if you’d like!

Jodi • May 7, 2008 at 1:09 pm

CONGRATS! That’s terrific news, and you’re an inspiration to us all, both as an author, and as a weight-losser.

But here’s the thing: if you could refrain from making glib comments like, “God knows I could still get bumped if terrorists blow up the Brooklyn Bridge that day,” I’d think you’re even more terric than I already do. For many of us in the NYC area, remarks like those, even made in jest, still hit a little too close to home in the aftermath of 9-11.

Thanks for considering it — I look forward to seeing you on the Today show!

Red • May 7, 2008 at 1:22 pm

That’s so bizarre, why did they have you send tons of photos?

Sarah • May 7, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Congratulations! That is so exciting.

As a Midwestern nerd who has been a “face in the crowd” at the Today show more than once (sans the nerdy sign, at least), I can agree with you that TV news anchors are always crazily thin. While you’re there, tell Natalie Morales to eat a burger or two.

But speaking of which, and I know that you’re probably mature enough to know that numbers don’t matter, but dang, girl … that picture of you from the marathon? You look like you don’t have any more weight to lose. I guess I just say this out of curiosity because your sidebar still shows a goal weight of 160, and I was wondering if you ever have considered whether the ideal weight is the one you’re at now. (Maybe you already have written about this and I’ve just missed it.)

Okay, I didn’t mean to veer away from the original point of this comment, which was simply to tell you congrats and good luck! Peace.

Mark • May 7, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Can you say “ass” on network television?

deanna • May 7, 2008 at 2:04 pm

I can’t believe it, actually I can believe it but I am so excitied that you will be in my neck of the woods!! Congrats!! Now, I really can’t wait for Mothers Day, I’m hosting and i love to cook. Anyhoo, back on topic -will you be hanging around to do any book signings or events or 1/2 marathons???!!!

Christina • May 7, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Thank god for the internet or else I would miss your interview entirely. Good luck! You’ll do great.

LJ • May 7, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Cool! I loved the book and can’t wait to watch.

Andrew is getting fit • May 7, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Way to go! Can’t wait for my copy of your book to arrive!

Curvyjones • May 7, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Oh my if it’s Lester, please find a way to give him a big ole smooch from ME! Yay congrats!

suzy • May 7, 2008 at 3:10 pm

WOW! I know you’re excited. You even made the front page of my local daily paper—The Times Daily in North Alabama. You know you’ve made it now!

Foo • May 7, 2008 at 3:12 pm

So cool, congrats! Can’t wait to see the interview.

Kate T • May 7, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Woohooo! I watch the Today SHow every morning, and I was wondering if I’d see you on their Monday morning “Take it Off” segment one day. It’s great to know you’ll be getting so much exposure.

I’ve nearly finished your book, (about 30 pages to go) and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. You had such a healthy attitude throughout your weight loss odyssey.

Thanks,

Kate T

Asma • May 7, 2008 at 3:17 pm

This makes me wish I had a tv :( maybe someone could youtube/torrent it up?? Congratulations though, this is awesome!

Karen • May 7, 2008 at 3:34 pm

I am in awe of all you have done. Not just the weight loss, but the marathons, the book, and now television!!! Could you ever guess this all would happen three years go??

valerie • May 7, 2008 at 4:07 pm

That line made me gasp a little too and I’m not normally sensitive about these things.

PastaQueen • May 7, 2008 at 4:33 pm

No, book events usually have to be scheduled a month or two in advance, so this was far too short of notice. I’d have to be selling them on the street corners or something, and I’d prefer to sight see.

PastaQueen • May 7, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Because TV is a visual medium and they’d like to show something to illustrate the changes in my body over the years.

PastaQueen • May 7, 2008 at 4:39 pm

That’s a very good question. When I was on my local Fox morning show, the anchors couldn’t say the title, but I could. It was bizarre. I don’t know how it will go on NBC.

PastaQueen • May 7, 2008 at 4:41 pm

No, I won’t. It was all rather short notice, so there wasn’t time to schedule everything. I also have to go back to my real life after the weekend is over.

Kyle • May 7, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I love it so much when good things happen to good people. Bask in the glory of your moment!!!

I wish you the best in your big TV appearance. Will you please put it on youtube so I can see too?? I’m dying down here!!! I still don’t even have my book, damn Amazon!

D • May 7, 2008 at 4:42 pm

That’s the most amazing thing ever. I found your blog two weeks ago and have been catching up and following your marathon journey and cutting all carbs out of my diet and generally been very inspired. You’ve achieved so much and you’re such a good writer. You deserve all the magical things happening right now. All the best and Enjoy!

PastaQueen • May 7, 2008 at 4:44 pm

A lot of the Today show segments are available on their web site, so you might be able to get it there though I don’t guarantee anything.

Lisa • May 7, 2008 at 5:40 pm

So it’s not just me.

Good luck on the Today show. But yeah, please lay off the terrorism jokes. It’s not funny here in NYC and it’s not going to be funny for a very long time.

Boilergrad1993 • May 7, 2008 at 7:53 pm

OMG!!! Congrats…I will make sure to watch!! Have a GREAT time while your in NY (I live in Upstate NY about 4 hours from the city). Sometime you’ll have to tell us how this all came about.

PastaQueen • May 7, 2008 at 8:06 pm

I look thin in that picture because I have mastered the “look skinny” pose – one foot in front of the other, turn at the hips, torso forward, neck jutted out. It takes off 10-15 pounds. Check out celeb pics on the red carpet and they all do it. But even without that pose, I’m pretty happy at my current weight. My goal weight hasn’t been that important to me for awhile now.

jae • May 7, 2008 at 9:14 pm

How cool! I will have to record it old school and use my VCR. Now I just need to go dig up some tapes! I can’t wait! ~j

Dreamer • May 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm

It’s times like this I wish I still lived in the U.S., so I could actually watch the show and see you in action. I’m sure you’ll be great and that you’ll do yourself proud. Next stop, Oprah!

I’ve just finished reading your book, and I loved it. You’re such a humorous writer — I found myself chuckling out loud throughout. A lot of weight-loss memoirs end up reading like hour-by-hour diaries of foods eaten, foods pined for, and exercises done, but yours is so much more than that — it was like reading a good novel with a strong plot and a strong character.

And I think it’s awesome that you included Officer Krupke in the acknowledgments.

Shelladawn • May 7, 2008 at 10:47 pm

OH MY LORDY, THE TODAY SHOW THAT IS HUUUUUGGGEEEEE.And Susan Sarandon,how cool to be on the same show as her.Woweeee.Here in rural Australia we bizarely enough get Good Morning America but not the Today Show.Someone will post it on Youtube hopefully so I can watch it.You rawk.Next stop Oprah baby!!!!!!

Merry • May 7, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I don’t know… were I to be interviewed on the Today Show, I would find it hard to get up and go to work again afterwards. How will you cope?

Wait a minute — I find it hard to get up and go to work anyway. I guess success wouldn’t spoil me. :)

Woo hoo!

Manic Mommy • May 7, 2008 at 11:14 pm

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU TOTALLY FREAKING OUT!!!!

I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bertie • May 7, 2008 at 11:20 pm

You are now on my tivo!! That is sooo exciting!!:) Goodluck:)

Nancy J • May 8, 2008 at 4:18 am

I have just discovered you and your incredible story! Can’t wait to get your book. Have read about half of your blog so far, and you are such an inspiration! I have been low carbing since mid-March, and have about 60-70 more lbs to go. I KNOW if you could lose so much weight, I can lose what I need to. I am NOT looking back! Thank you for hanging in there and for sharing your story. Bless you!

Tracy • May 8, 2008 at 8:59 am

I will try to watch for sure! I hope you get a chance to walk and walk in New York. I was heavier when I was there 2 years ago and could not walk forever like I wanted to I want a do-over! I am having many OH YES moments reading your book. I guess I have a lifetime membership to the club no matter how much weight I lose. Hey we had lots of chances to build up the ol character! Congrats!!!!!!

Erin • May 8, 2008 at 9:12 am

Congratulations! How exciting for you!

Elizabeth • May 8, 2008 at 10:05 am

I’ll be sure to watch this weekend… oh, and the pics from the half marathon are posted online now… check them out! Some of mine are really funny! :-)

deanna • May 8, 2008 at 10:57 am

had to comment again. so freaking happy for you! just thought, do you need any restaurant or sight seeing suggestions? let us know, i am sure all of us NYC’ers would be happy to help!!!

YEA for you!!!

Sheena • May 8, 2008 at 11:31 am

Hello~

This is my first time to comment, though I have been reading your blog for a couple months. it has taken me so long to comment partly because i went back to teh beginning of your blog and have read every post now. It’s so interesting to go through your drastic change and progress in only a couple months time, and now you are going to be on the Today Show!!! That’s so exciting. I came across your blog actually because I am a complete non-runner but about 6 weeks ago decided to train for a half-marathon. I started barely able to finish a half mile in 15 minutes. This week I ran my furthest at 6.5 miles in 1 hour 15 minutes. You have been a real inspiration and I wish you the best of luck this weekend.

victoria • May 8, 2008 at 1:11 pm

YAY! I just can’t get over the transformation in your life. You’re slim, healthy, athletic, and famous!

Helen • May 8, 2008 at 4:23 pm

So damn cool!!! I’m so happy my sweetie got us a DVR recently…I am so recording this!! :-)

Krista • May 8, 2008 at 5:02 pm

So exciting! We’ll be watching. You’re going to be great. I’m sorry we can’t all be there with you . . . in the green room with Emile and Susan. Say hey to Sus for us. Congratulations Jennette. You deserve it.

Mary Young • May 8, 2008 at 5:34 pm

I recently bought and read your book and really enjoyed it. Congratulations on your success!!

sarah • May 8, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Oh I will look for you! How exciting!!

Stephanie Quilao • May 9, 2008 at 4:56 am

Woo-hoo! Can’t wait to see you on TV. You’ll be fabulous!

Sarah J • May 9, 2008 at 7:26 am

I have had TIVO for years and have never used the “keyword wishlist”… until now. This is seriously COOL. congrats.

Karine • May 10, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Gosh, it really is too bad it was such short notice cause i would have loved to have met you in person here in NY. hey we could still hold a book signing event at my place!??!?!?

Anywho…I can’t wait to actually hear your voice on the show, lol. I am so excited for you, the today show is a DARN BIG DEAL! BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO! Karine

MB • May 11, 2008 at 9:57 am

Congrats on your national TV debut! I actually set my alarm for 8:00 so I wouldn’t miss it (I don’t have TiVo and never figured out how to set the old VCR timer either).

I guess the downside to the “Half-Assed” book title is you can’t say that on TV. I wish you could have gotten better book publicity from the Today Show appearance but hopefully people will check out the blog and get the info. there.

BRAVO!!

Uncle Brian • May 11, 2008 at 11:49 am

Jemmette,

Heard about your interview on this morning”s today show from your mom and dad. So I rolled out of bed and watched it here in Philadelphia. Erin and Colleen were going to try and catch it as well.

You were great – I am so proud of you.

Your

Uncle Brian

Morgan • May 11, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Hey Jennette,

I saw your appearance on the Today show, and you were great! I loved your answer when Lester asked what your advice was for people who think they have to turn to surgery or a fad diet. It’s a personal choice, and you were so right about that. I can’t believe you can’t say “Assed” on morning television, though. Half “Something.” LOL. Can’t wait to read about the experience.

Morgan

Karine • May 11, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Wow, I just finished watching you on Today. You did fantastic! You looked and sounded great, funny about the half something, lol. They put 2 ladies in place of the 2 SS when they showed the book. Bottom line girl! You knocked it out of the ballpark! Such a pro…i couldn’t help but laugh and think, she is looking so serious, compared to who we know her to be, lol.Karine

Crabby McSlacker • May 12, 2008 at 6:06 am

Wow, you were so great on the Today show!

Seriously, you sounded SO smart and reasonable and likable–some of the questions seem designed to make you take “positions” and I love the way you politely refused to do that.

Awesome. But I agree, it’s so silly you’re not allowed to say “assed” on TV!

AKS • May 12, 2008 at 11:12 am

hi, i just watched your segment online and i’m sure you’re tired of hearing this, but you were great!