The price of milk

One way to make yourself feel bad for ever being obese is to watch a Bill Moyers TV report about hunger in America. I was on the couch last night debating whether to have another sugar-free pudding cup when a story came on about people who live on food stamps and are still going hungry. The cost of food is rising across the world, food pantries are getting less donations, and the money doesn’t stretch as far, so there are people on disability, social security, or who are out of work who have to skip meals. It made me lose my appetite. I used to eat entire boxes of cookies, and one of these poor people on the TV only had half a green pepper in her fridge.

The story said that over the past year the price of milk has increased by 26%, eggs by 24%, and bread by 13%. I have to admit, I hadn’t noticed this because I don’t pay much attention to prices at the grocery store. I always calculate which brand product is the cheapest, be I shopping for string cheese or yogurt or instant pudding, but I always buy what I need. But I couldn’t tell you what the current price of milk or eggs is, and I don’t know the price of bread because I make my own in a breadmaker. I guess I’ll never win on The Price is Right.

I’ve started paying more attention to the news in my old age, so I know that food prices are rising world wide. India is feeling it, and there have actually been riots in Argentina and Zimbabwe over food prices. I don’t know what the solution to these problems is, but at least I know if there is a famine it will be a good thing that my body can store so much fat.

Charity • April 14, 2008 at 7:56 am

It’s pathetic, isn’t it, in a country as rich and expansive as ours that people go to bed hungry at night. I volunteered at the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen one Christmas (http://www.trentonsoupkitchen.org/), and I learned that 25% of their clients have jobs and STILL need food assistance! A lot of folks came in, got their meal, got it wrapped up and took it with them BACK to work. And if you drive 30 minutes in any direction from Trenton, there’s money falling out of people’s butts. Sad. I would volunteer there regularly, but they’re only open while I’m at work and not on weekends, but we at least donate.

And yes, helping to feed the hungry REALLY puts your food issues into perspective.

Deborah • April 14, 2008 at 9:56 am

This is some food for thought (pun intended). I never look at prices either for my staples.

hanlie • April 14, 2008 at 10:41 am

I have the same shopping style as you, but I did notice this morning that butter is almost 50% more expensive than what I normally pay! In our country we have a lot of people who go hungry, and this just makes it worse for them. I can’t afford to pay my staff 50% more… Where will it end?

Carmie • April 14, 2008 at 10:50 am

I don’t think that there is a food shortage, so much as the cost of *transporting* said food is driving the prices up. With gas at over $3.50 a gallon in some places, it costs way more to ship any type of food. As a result, your milk isn’t $2.70 anymore it is $3.15 (or whatever it is – I don’t pay attention to that either).

Still… it is sad that there is so much starvation the world over.

Stuckinafatbody • April 14, 2008 at 11:30 am

Check out the link below… OUCH.

Hopefully this link works

Girl On A Mission... • April 14, 2008 at 11:39 am

Hi there,

I’ve been following your blog for quick some time now. Iw as wondering if it were possible for you to explain when/how you started running? I need a swift kick in the butt and I need something motivating to stir my spirit. I go to the gym and walk on the treadmill but the inner fear inside me holds me back from running. Did you start running before or after you lost all of your weight?

Thanks,

Girl on A mission.

Julie • April 14, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Part of the problem with milk is that there are sooo many restrictions on the dairy farmers now it is very expensive for them to run their dairies. I think California is trying to make them all move to Texas..

cara • April 14, 2008 at 1:33 pm

And food is even more expensive in states where transportation costs are more. Like in the mountainous states. It takes a ton more gas to travel through those states. I remember growing up in WV how much more milk was there then in FL when we vacationed.

Food is so much more expensive than a year ago, I feel it in my weekly grocery bill. As a result, I can’t afford most of the fresh veggies or organic-anything. The healthier it is, the more it costs and the less I’ll buy of it. So I have to resort to processed, boxed, canned or frozen, unfortunately.

It’s sad to have to compromise on eating healthy, isn’t it? Thank you, Bush! Oil prices going sky high are now effecting our health and our basic right to eat.

psychsarah • April 14, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for this post. It’s a great reminder of how priveleged I really am-I don’t pay that much attention to what I pay for milk either, and that clearly means I can afford it.

There’s a PSA on in Canada that shows a woman opening a can of beans, and the roof of her house being “opened” (as if a can) and then she stops opening the can. The voiceover says something like, “Food or shelter. Many Canadians can’t afford both”. It breaks my heart every time.

Andrew is getting fit • April 14, 2008 at 1:49 pm

It is a bit worrying that we are so rich but we can’t feed our fellows.

Marla • April 14, 2008 at 4:50 pm

I have definitely noticed prices going up! I had switched to a discount supermarket about a year ago, so I’m tuned in to what things cost. But thanks for pointing this out, because I’ll make sure to donate more to the local food programs— My having to cut out some fresh foods isn’t in the same category as some people not eating AT ALL. I can always squeeze a little more to help out.

Cindy • April 14, 2008 at 5:25 pm

I want to respond to the person who said that she can’t afford to eat healthy… Are you sure that’s true? Pound for pound, most processed foods cost a LOT more than basic ingredients. When I started this journey a few years ago, I spent a ton of money at the grocery store and at restaurants for salty, fatty, highly processed foods. Now I shop at Whole Foods and usually only shop the outer rim (not the aisles, where all the processed foods live). I buy organic, when I can, but I buy “ingredients,” not meals, and I cook myself. I make soup every week and eat it for my lunches. I make steel cut oats at the beginning of the week and have hot cereal all week by warming it in the microwave. Per serving, this is not very expensive and is very healthy, even at organic prices! One whole organic chicken makes many meals ~ roasted, then chicken salad, soup stock made from the carcass, etc… Beans are a cheap source of protein and there are endless ways to prepare them. Eggs, though higher than they’ve ever been, are still a bargain. Look again at the grocery store ~ fresh veggies are usually cheaper than frozen, pound for pound (organic is more, of course, but you get what you pay for…). I even started gardening last summer, on a small scale. This was fun, not too time-consuming, and I am still reaping the benefits, when I open my freezer and pop out some frozen spaghetti sauce or squash…

Keep trying, and you may find ways to eat healthy and not be too hard on your budget. And homemade food tastes a whole lot better, too (and you control what goes into it!). Best of luck!

Tricia • April 14, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Great blog PQ! First time, long time.

Cindy- great response as well. Dont forget about farmers markets in spring /summer/ fall! those are great places to get fresh produce at a fraction of the cost. It also helps your local economy. Google it to find one in your area.

Hunger in America is a shame, and there really is no excuse for it, except it lacking on the priority list of the people who run this

country. Because they have no idea what its like to starve.

Nory Roth • April 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Thank you for the link to Bill Moyers — I am finding it hard to breathe because my throat is so tight from holding back tears. This is an absolute travesty in one of the richest nations on Earth. Absolutely aside from all of the reasons for poverty, stand millions of children who will go to bed hungry this night. How can our politicians continue to ignore their plight, while lining the pockets of our wealthiest? It has given me new resolve to continue to support my local food pantry in these troubled economic times!

PastaQueen • April 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm

You are in luck. I wrote an entry about running here. Basically I eased into it when I was in the low 200’s, doing bursts of running between my walks.

Marie • April 14, 2008 at 10:32 pm

No question food prices are going up.

But.

How can it be that food is unaffordable, yet we are having an “obesity epidemic?”

It’s either one or the other. If we are all so obese, obviously, we can still afford food.

starbird • April 14, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Cindy has part of the answer to your question. Obesity occurs, for the most part, in two population groups – civil servants and the poor.

I think the civil servants (teachers, social workers, and others with desk jobs) just don’t get enough physical activity, plus they have donut days on a very regular basis.

The poor are not properly educated in the food buying, growing and cooking techniques that Cindy described. They tend to eat the processed, fatty, salty stuff that just makes you want to have more. Also, I believe that many of the poor are not very physically active.

And, a question back to everyone who thinks politicians should do something about this – what and how, short of locking them up somewhere, making them to run or exercise, and force-feeding them healthful foods? Just taking money away from “the wealthiest” and giving it to ???? won’t do the job.

Final point – I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that this year, Americans will work 113 days to earn enough to pay their taxes and 35 days to pay for their food. What’s wrong with this picture?

Dana • April 15, 2008 at 1:31 am

@Cindy: Haha, is this really the place to talk smack about “fatty” foods? It, um, kind of helps to eat relatively high-fat if you’re low-carbing. I have noticed that the difference between me weighing fewer pounds and me weighing more isn’t the amount of fat I eat but the amount of carbs, full stop. And grains more so than any other kind of carb. And if you think about it, and go back and analyze the stuff poor people typically eat, while there certainly is fat content there, there’s definitely carb content there, and way more than any human being rightly needs to fuel their energy needs. 10 percent of fat calories may become glucose, 100 percent of glycemic carbs become glucose, and we have a diabetes epidemic in this country. I’m sure it’s no accident.

@starbird: Ditto. Also, I find that the more fat I eat, the more satiated I am. I don’t think it’s fat that makes people want to eat more. It amazes me that science is trying to develop a satiety drug when we’ve got a satiety substance already for no more than what we already pay for food. But as long as people think they have to keep their fat calories below thirty percent, we’re gonna keep having a problem.

@everyone else: I have heard two major factors blamed for food prices: (1) Fuel prices, obviously and (2) Relatedly, that so many grain fields are going to the ethanol industry now. Ironically, although we’ve been told/sold otherwise, automobiles are not the greatest source of global warming gases. That dubious honor goes to power plants–even nuclear plants require the use of greenhouse fuels to get them up and keep them running, and then their waste is incredibly dangerous to deal with afterward. But the current fashion is to blame cars for everything, so now we’re trying to grow our fuel even though that is incredibly calorie-INefficient. Meanwhile, because the whole world seems to want to base their diets on grain now, people everywhere are starving for want of cheap wheat, rice, and corn because one of those crops is going into gas tanks and the other two are being crowded out by increased demand for the first. Scary, huh?

jae • April 15, 2008 at 2:46 am

I noticed last week that the regular cheapo bread went from .89 to $1.29. I was shocked that you can’t even get cheap bread for under a buck anymore.

I grew up on the poor side and know I put too much emphasis on food now. I always have to buy a ton of it even though you could easily make a meal from what I already have in the kitchen. What a waste.

It was brought to our state’s attention a few months ago that families on food stamps here only get $21 a week per person. Many readers of the local newspaper took that information as a challange and it was so interesting to see what people would buy with only that amount of money. The best story was the one family who wound up eating healthier and fresher because they would eat in season fruits, bulk foods and not eat so many processed extras.

It was eye opening.

This was a great post. I hope I remember just how lucky I am the next time I’m in line getting my black and white mocha. (The guilt is creeping in, and I’m not even joking) ~j

PastaQueen • April 15, 2008 at 6:51 am

It’s one of the ironies of life that you can be obese but still be malnourished. You can eat peanut butter and crackers all day and meet your calorie requirements, but you wouldn’t have a balanced diet, so you’d be missing many necessary nutrients. Plus, peanut butter and crackers aren’t all that filling.

Also, if you are obese to begin with and start having to starve yourself, you’ll still be fat for a while before you look ghastly thin. If I’d had to go on food stamps or I’d stopped eating regularly when I was 372 pounds, it still would have been at least a year before I look “starved” even if I was starving myself.

Cindy • April 15, 2008 at 7:01 am

ah, but it is not one or the other…and I am NOT on a low-carb diet! That route didn’t work for me…eating a full range of healthy foods in moderation did. I am a fan of healthy fats, in fact. I eat whole milk yogurt (bought in big tub and put into individual servings, to save on $$ and plastic) and bake my muffins or scones with organic butter. I use olive oil for all my other cooking. So, yes, having enough healthy fats in your diet helps you feel full and eat less. And so does healthy whole grains (not processed white flour products…). Carbs are not the enemy so much as it is touted. There needs to be a balance and yes, as someone said, it is about food and nutrition education ~ for everyone, not just the poor!

Tonia • April 15, 2008 at 9:16 am

I agree with you. However, it is more expensive when you are just starting out on the journey to eating healthier. When you try to shop differently at first you just don’t know what to buy and how to do it and you end up buying stuff that just goes to waste because it’s not what you’re used to. Eventually, once you learn how to cook and eat better I’m sure you would save money versus prepackaged foods or eating out. But that initial cost and change is hard especially now when we are watching our money more so than ever before. I have tried to start eating healthier, but I find it’s easier/cheaper to stick with what I’m used to. Maybe if someone could give us processed girls some tips for easy ways to learn how to cook for a family.

Cindy • April 15, 2008 at 9:38 am

You might want to start at your local library. I saw a co-worker reading a cookbook from the library the other day and thought it was brilliant. I’d never thought to go to the library for a cookbook (I end up buying them…and only using a recipe or two…). Start simple, and with simple changes…like switching whole wheat pasta for white…same with bread… ANd pick simple, fast recipes at first, to make it more realistic. Don’t try things that are too complicated or that are so different from your usual food choices that your family won’t eat it…

I live alone, so my journey was easier, in that regard. I removed EVERYTHING from my pantry and delivered all the unopened products to the food bank and tossed the rest. I only bought what I could eat, and I carefully pre-measured many items (like pasta… I put them in individual baggies so I would only cook up one portion at a time…). There are foods that I still can’t have in the house or I will eat too much (like potato chips or ice cream). So I have those treats when I am out, and I go for the single portion, so I can’t easily over-do.

Changing food choices is HARD, there’s no doubt about it. But soon, you may find that you actually prefer your own cooking. I used to be addicted to McDonald’s, eating it 5-6 times a week, at least. I haven’t been in a few years now and cannot even imagine eating that stuff. I ate it occasionally for a while, the first year of switching my eating, until I realized that I actually didn’t like the taste anymore and was going out of habit, or because I didn’t want to “miss out” on anything. If someone had told me I’d get to this point three years ago, I’d never have believed them. It is not like I am a saint or anything. I do cheat…and regularly! But I KNOW I am cheating when I do and then I am careful again for a while. I LOVE the Cheesecake Factory, for example. But I go with a friend and we split something ~ usually a big salad (they have amazing choices!)…and then split a cheesecake, too. YUM!

Good luck…and keep reading and keep trying things until you find what is right for you. We all need to find our own way, but it is nice to hear how others deal with things, so we can take some of the lesson and add it to our own!

anji • April 15, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Sarah, there is another one too where the guy reaches for the light to turn it on… when he does, his house disapears and then the announcers says, Electricity or Shelter? Some people can’t afford both.

Very powerful. (no pun intended)

anji • April 15, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Land being gobbled up by suburbs… farmers unable to afford to create crops… fewer farmers, more people, less food to go around…

Time to support your local farmers (if you got them) and you will likely still save $$ by buying their goods…

We’re doing our part this year by starting our own garden and trying to produce enough vegetables on our own for at least four or five months… more money in our pocket, some extra exercise and a greater appreciation for the food on our tables!

sarah j • April 15, 2008 at 1:23 pm

What a great discussion. I have found that as I fueled my body better, there were places where I spent more and more where I spent less. A work in progress I tell ya.

One thing… a little bit of money goes a long way for organizations. WE can all make a difference by doing a few things … (this list is from one of the organizations I donate to)…

The food program I volunteer with in an economically advantaged (!) suburb of chicago has seen their request for food help go up 141% in the past two years. For $25 they can purchase a lot of food from some of the food banks to help their clients. Seriously, every bit of $$ helps.

1. Donate money to a local, national or international nonprofit hunger organization or donate food to a local food bank, or volunteer at a local soup kitchen.

2. Make thehungersite.com your homepage and click on it everyday – sponsors pay for food for the hungry with every click.

3. Get the word out – talk to your friends and family about the problem of poverty and hunger and help get them involved.

4. Contact your leaders and let them know that ending hunger is a big priority. Visit the One Campaign’s website and sign the ONE CAMPAIGN Declaration urging our leaders to honor the Millennium Development Goals, and wear the white band to show others your support.

5. Skip a meal for hunger and donate the cost of the meal to hunger organizations. Host a Hunger Banquet and invite others to join you.

blackapril • April 15, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Hi,

coming from a lower end economic bracket I can answer the short on money, but still obese/malnourished problem a little.

Most stores in my neighbor”hood”

are little corner grocery/liquor/check cashing/cell phone places.

They have lots of bread, crackers, chips, little

debbie snack cakes, cold cuts, a meat counter with lots of pork, soda, and large jugs or fruit drink (not juice).

You can go into one of theses stores and feed a family of four for two or three days on

a loaf or two of bread, a large package of american cheese, a pack or two of bologna or luncheon loaf (not ham), chips, crakers, a jug of “fruit drink”,some type of milk, and a very sugary cereal (generic. You can do this for about $10. And some times it is necessary.

Honestly these are the stores in our neighborhood.

When I did not have car this winter, I had to catch 3 buses to the closest Pick N Save to buy the types of food my family should eat.

We try to eat fresh produce. But thenm taking the cab home, that would be an extra $15 cab fare, onto my grocery bill, and I do not get food stamps as both myself and my husband work.

Altogether I’d be looking at about $130 for two weeks of food.

I was still very lucky.

There are lots of people that do not feel it is worth it to travel so far to a “real” grocery store, when the corner grocery/check cashing/liquor store is right across the street.

And sometimes it does seem easier to get 5 double cheeseburgers from McDonalds for $5 than to have to spend so much money on a home cooked meal that includes vegetables.

And no. The canned vegetables and fruits are not inexpensive at these corner stores. They usually run about $2+.

And their are discount food stores like Aldi’s.

Sometimes they are not very close to home.

I guess excuses excuses huh?

Just giving you an idea of why this happens.

I am lucky enough to have a two income household and to spend any extra money that I could be putting into a savings account on my grocery bill.

And sometimes I have to get my mother’s groceries as well.

No it’s not something to feel mad, or depressed about. It’s my reality, and lots of my friends and neighbor’s reality.

And we are for the most part all working class blacks and hispanics. And most of us are overweight.

We eat a high carb high fat diet as a necessity because it is cheaper and in abundance.

And the awful thing is once you get a taste for that way of eating, it is hard to not crave cheeseburgers, and nachos, and bread.

I was overweight most of my life.

I lost weight by spending effing tons of money on “healthy,wholesome” food for the past ten years. So much money. oh God.

And people laugh at us for being fat and poor…

G.G. • April 15, 2008 at 2:28 pm

I am aware that this is an awfully reductive or simplistic comment, but after reading an article yesterday about the ethanol/corn/hunger debate, part of me wondered about what role the production of high fructose corn syrup plays in all this. I know the corn used to produce HFCS isn’t high quality food corn, but wouldn’t it be lovely if the land set aside for producing that abomination could be dedicated to growing real food? Can’t help but think it would help with obesity and nutrition issues . . . .

AG • April 15, 2008 at 4:27 pm

I think what makes me the maddest and the saddest about people so hungry all over the world is the amount of waste in America.

Did you hear about the “Freegan” movement? The dumpster dive for groceries (sealed and packaged and not expired) and have exposed how much restaurants and stores throw out.

So sad and frustrating!

AG

Amy • April 15, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Thanks for your post, April. I struggle all the time in local online message boards with a community of generally middle class folks who just say “poor people are lazy and on welfare and don’t deserve any help.” I have long suspected the reality is lack of local resources, for one–if you don’t have transportation and you have fast food and convenience stores nearby, of course you will buy those foods. I have a lot of concern for those who struggle to get by and still face the utter callousness of their neighbors.

I just read The China Study and am now finishing Nickel and Dimed. The takeaways: eat a whole foods, plant-based diet; and the working poor have it really hard. When you can’t afford food, buying 5-a-day veggies does become more pricy than the dollar menu at McD’s.

dietgirl • April 15, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Great post and great discussion too. I don’t know if you can watch this outside of the UK but BBC’s Newsnight programme is doing a series this week called Unsustainable World? and tonight they’re talking about the food crisis – http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/default.stm

Pam A • April 15, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Cindy, you do have a valid point…however, when you are feeding more than one sometimes processed food is cheaper.

Christine in AZ • April 15, 2008 at 9:17 pm

How excited was I when I got an email from amazon.com telling me that my pre-ordered book by the pasta queen would be here next week!! I can’t wait!!

Good luck!!!

Christine

Lori W. • April 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm

I’ve been following this too and one of the problems it seems is not just the price of gas but the use of corn for alternative fuels. There’s been more rioting in other countries.

Cindy has some very good points and somewhere a list of the top ten things you should try and buy organic and which ones are not necessary (if you’re watching your pennies). (I remember apples, potatoes, peanut butter, ketchup* were among the things to buy organic. Things like oranges, avocados, etc. had thick peels so organic didn’t play a big difference.) *They recommended this b/c kids eat so much ketchup and PB and potatoes (aka french fries).

Maybe there’s a CSA. I thought the PQ did this. One can go halfsies or even split it further. It’s not cheap and I’ll be honest, I can’t afford it and haven’t found anyone to split one or two with me.

Good post!

elissa • April 17, 2008 at 11:08 am

Actually while the use of crops for ethanol is said to be affecting U.S food prices (and while it is a waste when straight from crops using converting veg oil that has already been used for food is actually a really good way for people to get cheap, effective environmentally friendly energy… though it can smell a bit like fries) in some developing countries and China the problem is the switch from vegetable and grain heavy diets toward more meat. To raise an animal for meat takes a lot of land for feed grain, etc.

Befreckled • April 17, 2008 at 11:08 am

Thank you! My husband and I, who grew up “working class”, are now living and working in one of the poorest cities in our state. We eat nutritionally balanced meals, but EVERYTHING is made from scratch. We only drink water or milk. I grow a garden, even though I don’t can, it offsets food costs for 4 months of the year. My grocery budget for a family of 5 is $110 dollars a week which drops to $90 during the summer and fall when my garden is producing. Occasionally, during tight times, I’ve had to go shop for under $50 for our family. We ate a lot of beans, homemade bread, and canned vegetables, but we didn’t go hungry! It was easier when we ate a lot of carbohydrates, but even on a reduced carb, whole grain diet, we are able to manage using the Sue Gregg cookbooks and meal planning. However, we know we are among the fortunate few who were raised and trained to live this way.

What breaks our hearts is to see the thousands in this city on welfare who have never been taught the basics of budgeting and food prep. They are given free or low cost housing, their food stamp allotment and WIC vouchers (for families with little kids) are more per week than we spend, but they are at a loss as how to use it. Our city has a large area set aside with free garden plots and a master gardener who helps folks plant and care for their gardens. Almost every summer more than 3/4 of the ground lies fallow. Free community ed programs go unattended. Perhaps we need to institute a program in the middle school/high school level to teach basic living skills – true home economics! It’s easy to get frustrated with the “welfare moms” who poormouth when you see them with all the little luxuries of life that you forgo, but a better solution would be to channel that energy into educating the next generation.

I am well aware that there are still millions of working poor and senior citizens who don’t qualify for welfare, and can’t afford the most basic needs — heat, sufficient food, or even necessary items of clothing. These are the folks we try to reach with food drives, free/low cost medical clinics, and fuel assistance. Our state has several low cost “grocery stores” where you can shop for considerably reduced prices with proof of 2 hours per week of community service. This maintains the dignity of someone who wants to work, and although subsidized, isn’t welfare. Perhaps a program like ours could be adopted nationwide.

Florence • April 17, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Dear Jennette,

What a pleasure finding your blog and reading what you have done with it, your weight issues and your life. I love your writing style. It is delightful, delicious and easy to devour. Congratulations on the book, and I sincerely hope it rises to the top of the bookseller list.

I have just started my own blog: babyboomerblabber.com, a few days ago with only two very long entries, and I am so excited. I haven’t been passionate about something in a very long time. Unfortunately, I don’t have any readers yet. The silly counter I installed has numerous hits on it, and they’re all from me!

I would be honored if you would take a peek when time allows. I honestly have no ideas on how to attract readership at this point,but, with only 2 entries under my belt, I guess I should relax a bit. The fact that I am writing from my heart, and telling my story, and putting it all out there for the world to read, is incredibly exciting. At the same time, it is already so cathartic for me, and I expect it must be that way for all the bloggers out there, at least in the beginning.

Thanks for reading my comments.