No gain, no pain

Sometimes I try to write blog entries in advance, in case I get sick or life gets hectic. This doesn’t usually work out because it’s hard to write about your life before it happens. Whenever I have written an entry and held it back, it is usually no longer true or relevant when the time comes to post it. For instance, a week and a half ago I stepped on the scale and it said 186 again. It freaked me out. And I knew there was absolutely no way I’d lose that weight by my weigh-in at the end of the month. So I wrote a big long entry about how I’d gained weight and how this was a normal part of the weight maintenance progress and I wasn’t ignoring it and I’d get on top of things, here’s how etc. etc. I did not take into account my odd ability to gain 6 pounds one week and lose it the next, because I weighed in at 178 on March 1. Go figure. My body is weird.

The odd thing about weight loss is that if you gain back the weight, people act like you never lost it at all. They pretend everyone had a mass delusion and all that time you spent on the treadmill never happened, no matter how worn down your running shoes are. Last year the Indianapolis Colts won the Superbowl. This year, they did not. However, no one raided their houses and took back their Superbowl rings. We still had that parade in below-freezing weather last year. Even if those players never play football again, they will always be able to say they were Superbowl winners. No matter what happens with my weight, I did at one point in my life lose 200 pounds. Even if I were to gain it all back, it doesn’t undo the fact that I lost 200 pounds. It happened. It shouldn’t be any less of an accomplishment if I one day stop running half-marathons and start eating lots of Cheetos. I hope that never happens. I’d like to stay thin, healthy and happy for the rest of my life and will do my best to stay so.

However, when I step on the scale and see that I’ve gained some weight, it isn’t pleasant. But at least I’ve got a blog entry to post if that ever happens again.

Heather • March 4, 2008 at 8:42 am

Congrats on the 2lb loss this month! Who knows what happened with those 6lbs, but after everything YOU LOST 2 MORE LBS! Congrats!

Congrats on your 10km race too! I’m also training for a 1/2 in May, but in Mississauga, Ontario. We did 16.5km (10.25miles) on Sunday. I have blisters in places I didn’t know I could get blisters (and not on my feet)!!! Vaseline has come highly recommended during the longer runs for this.

Danielle • March 4, 2008 at 9:14 am

You’re totally right.

12 years ago I lost 54 lbs over the course of about 9 months, right before I got married. I proceeded to gain every last pound back, and then some. If anyone noticed, which of course they did, no one said a thing.

Well, maybe my mother.

But she’s good for things like that.

Alana • March 4, 2008 at 9:18 am

I have a tendency to be much harder on myself when I notice I’ve gained a pound or two. I forget about the accomplishments I’ve made so far as if they mean nothing. I’ve lost over 100lbs and it wasn’t an easy thing.

You are doing great!!!

Janet • March 4, 2008 at 9:48 am

Any amount of weight loss is an accomplishment. Keeping it off is an exceptional fete.

Congrats to you and all you’ve done and thanks for all the support you give.

Due to my GBS 14 months ago, I have lost 138 pounds and I am so proud of myself that if I was any happier I would be TWINS!

I too, see the weight gain every now and again, but it seems like when I back off a little from the gym, it all stabilizes. Up to a 5 pound weight gain will not upset my apple cart, but anything beyond that will be a major kick in the booty. (Opps…what booty?)

LA • March 4, 2008 at 9:56 am

I’ve lost 20 to 30 lbs a few times in my life, and then gained 20 to 40 lbs back. The thing is, I still may have gained those lbs even if I hadn’t lost weight first.

In other words, if it weren’t for the periods in my life where I’ve taken good care of myself and lost some weight, I’d probably weigh about 300 lbs by now. At least I went from 150 to 130 before I gained 35 pounds – that put me at 165, whereas I would have weighed 185 if I’d started at 150 and gained 35 lbs.

And congrats on your 10K! I love your blog!

dietgirl • March 4, 2008 at 10:43 am

That superbowl analogy was genius. I come here for the quality blogging but stay for the analogies ;)

Well bloody done on another good month PQ :)

BrightAngel • March 4, 2008 at 10:49 am

I’ve now been maintaining in my 115 lb goal range for over 2 years,

Before that….

I’ve lost and regained over 100 lbs on 3 separate occasions in my lifetime, and 20 to 50 lbs too many times to even remember.

Maintenance is very, very difficult.

I’m doing things different now….

but ONE THING that is Very Different, is that

THIS TIME….over 2 years ago, I didn’t stop short of my Goal…I made it all the way to 115 which on my body translates to a size 6 petite.

I find that being at my absolute correct weight

gives me a lot more incentive to immediately take off added weight….

With a former high of 271 lbs, sometimes the ten lb weight difference between 125 lbs and 135 lbs or 145 lbs or 155 lbs. doesn’t seem all that much, BUT, I find there is a great big difference even between 115 lbs and 120 lbs, and knowing myself…..I fear if I spent time over 120 lbs, I’d get back into the mind set…”what does a few lbs really matter here or there?”

Bree • March 4, 2008 at 12:26 pm

C’mon how many people can come close to success stories of weight loss to yours? Not many. I hate getting the feeling that you are uptight about any gains. You’re right, no one can take that away from you. You go girl! If you only knew how much of an inspiration you are to so many people! Trust me, I’m one of them.

AndrewE • March 4, 2008 at 12:36 pm

As someone whose weightloss progress chart shows an oscillating yoyo sometimes I wish people would say something. That way I might get my act together quicker.

victoria • March 4, 2008 at 1:23 pm

I took a hiatus from my weight loss program last weekend when I took a trip. Over the course of 3 days of normal eating (not bingeing, but not avoiding carbs or calories, either) I gained 8 pounds. EIGHT POUNDS in THREE DAYS. And I was exercising every single day! I know that my body can easily gain glycogen/water weight when I take a break from a low-carb program, and I know that such weight is easily lost, but still, the scale makes it look like it takes me a MONTH to lose 8 pounds, and apparently, ONE WEEKEND to gain it back. It is scary, not matter what self-soothing interior monolog I try to maintain.

radiosilents • March 4, 2008 at 1:24 pm

I’ve come to realize that if I want to really lose all the weight I want to, and then keep it off, I am probably going to have to be pretty obsessive about it for the rest of my life. Or at least, really conscious of my effort. The most I’ve ever lost was 60 pounds a few years ago, but like so many others, I gained that back plus another forty! I really, really don’t want to keep doing that to myself.

But anyway, you’re still doing it, you’re still keeping the blog, you’ve got the book, you’ve got many supporters… it is fine to worry about some weight gain for obvious reasons, but as long as you know your body well and how it works and processes things, you’re good.

I am rooting for you 100% as you approach maintenance! Everyone’s right, no one can take your SuperBowl ring away from you, ever. ;)

Great post.

Amy

Beverly Mahone • March 4, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Just stopping by to say hello and see how you’re doing with the weight loss. Keep up the good work!!!

Stephanie Quilao • March 4, 2008 at 4:43 pm

My body is the same way. I can lose/gain up to 5-6 lbs in a week in a half. On weigh-in days, it always seems to be on track. I’ve been trying to do what you’re doing and only weigh-in once a month. So far, I’ve been able to go two weeks. Right now, I’m on week 2 so gonna try and go for 3 weeks. It’s tough trying to break up with the scale. It’s like trying to leave that dysfunctional boyfriend who’s so cute yet so bad for you. But, you know it has to be done for your higher good.

pants mcgee • March 4, 2008 at 5:45 pm

This was pretty funny. Rock on.

I wish I could say seven pounds didn’t matter–but the smaller you get, the more it means you’re gonna have to buy new pants. I guess it creates a monetary incentive…okay, I gotta lose at least 2 or 3 of this seven

Lisa • March 4, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Is what you’re looking for bragging rights? To be able to say that you once lost 200 pounds?

Seems to me that what most of us look for is to lose the weight and keep it off. And yeah, the keeping it off part is ridiculously tough.

K • March 4, 2008 at 5:59 pm

The scale mostly plays games with me around my period… when I’m not exactly best-equipped to deal with it. But at least I know it’s likely to happen.

I like that you now have a personal best section on the sidebar!

mel • March 4, 2008 at 6:16 pm

i think that you deserve any bragging you do, and that you should, and you should be proud of yourself! it is amazing and wonderful for you to have lost weight and to have found your happy.

it is not just about losing weight. it is about setting a goal for yourself and finally reaching that goal. it is about so many other things than the size of your butt and the size of your jeans.

sometimes the scale hates me too. sometimes i look at the scale and think….how in the world did i lose that much this week?

i don’t even know you and i am damn proud of you. brag away. brag to your little hearts content. because uh…you know…look at yourself. you are little. OH! and even if you think you weigh alot, muscles are heavy, and you are a running-muscle machine!

Ann • March 4, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Whew – I can relate!

Lost a bunch of weight, gained almost all of it back, lost it again and more and reached my goal – and now I’m struggling to stick with it and stay there, with a five pound weight gain I can’t seem to shake since Christmas.

Enough to drive one totally batty.

Ash • March 5, 2008 at 2:13 am

I have the opposite. Only a few people remember that I was well, huge, before. Now I’m slim and I feel like it never happened? I never lost 100 pounds? It all happened to someone else? Anyone have this?

JEMi @ MyFavoriteDietBlog • March 5, 2008 at 3:01 am

Seeing that it feels so impossible to lose 2 real lbs right now.. no matter how hard I work – I have to hand it to you

200 lbs is an amazing feat – one that should be discounted.

you’re right, people do act like you never did it if you gain it back. and to that, I flip a bird.

wow to your major run, wow to you. You impress me.

MizFit • March 5, 2008 at 7:38 am

such a POWERFUL LINE.

about people acting as though you never lost it at all.

powerful.

MizFit

G.G. • March 5, 2008 at 9:02 am

Just an observation–and you probably already know this–medication can have some freaky effects on your weight, and I’d guess you might have been taking more pain killers like Ibuprofen while you had that nasty headache (which I hope is gone). Every time I take Ibuprofen I know I can count on some water retention, though it’s usually not much. Depends on how much I take and how long I take it.

I’m really trying to learn to not let the couple pound fluctuations bug me, if I know I’m eating and exercising like I should. I’ve been converted to the daily weigh-in thing. I think it’s helping me mentally accept the fluctuations, because they seem to follow a pattern. I still have a lot more weight to lose, though. It will probably get much more difficult!

Lora • March 5, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Hi, PQ!

I haven’t read your blog in a while. I know full well losing weight isn’t easy. I, myself, have worked very hard to lose 50lbs. and diving back into old habits makes ME feel as though I took a big step backwards. Besides, I gave all my big clothes away so I have no choice but to maintain! LOL : )

Keep up the good work and don’t stop trying!

Kate H • March 6, 2008 at 9:17 am

I know you said no comments on the above post, but I wonder if anyone has thought that your headache could be caused by your laser eye surgery?

Now, *pats you on the head* there, there, it’ll be okay. :)

Janet • March 6, 2008 at 10:08 am

[quote] by Ash. Only a few people remember that I was well, huge, before. Now I’m slim and I feel like it never happened? I never lost 100 pounds? It all happened to someone else? Anyone have this? [/quote]

As happy as I am to have lost 139 pounds, I get angry when the ignorant folks say to me, “I can’t remember that you looked like THAT last year”

And my reply, “right! because I was invisible to you when I was fat. You can’t remember because you would have to admit that you were rude to me, and you don’t want to do that, do you?”

It usually causes them to turn and run from the embarassment, but so be it.

dietgirl • March 6, 2008 at 10:13 am

there there comrade… take care of yersel.

Karen • March 6, 2008 at 11:18 am

There, there. Everything is going to be fine. Your doing a great job.

McAuliflower • March 7, 2008 at 1:23 am

These comments are *great*. I’m glad I checked in on the post out of my rss.

Y’all make me feel human. I lost 60lbs 3 years ago, gained it back +10 2 years ago, and am starting the renewal process again. -15lbs and counting. I feel embarrassed to be doing this *again*, and yet also smarter and snarkier.

The 8lbs in a weekend- yeah, it sucks. Really makes me meditate on the topic of what is normal in relation to how I’m going to live the rest of my life.

sigh.

Anyway- thanks for the inspiration and camaraderie.

fatgirlfat • March 7, 2008 at 12:19 pm

golly you have done so well! it seems like a just get stuck in a rut. a rut which fluctuates quite a bit between 90 and 99kgs, no matter what i do though, i just cant break the 90kgs…. you’ve done so well, and from what i read above, all with a headache. you are inspiring!

Wendy • March 7, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Listen, disabling comments can’t stop me from saying that is the most incredible whitehead I’ve ever seen. I think you should name it. I’ve been back three times to look at it.

Lest you think I’m a weird stalker, I’m just one of your regular readers/admirers — and that’s probably weird enough!

cara • March 7, 2008 at 7:22 pm

i just stumbled onto your blog and i have to say i’m quite impressed. 200 POUNDS????!!!! Wow. I bow to skill far defter than my own (in the importal words of Senior Perelli in Sweeney Todd).

i have to say, about losing the same pounds over again, that SHOULD count for something! I mean, over the course of my weight loss, i’ve lost a total of 70 pounds in the last 9 months. but at one point or another, i’ve gained 7 or 8 pounds (one or two pounds, here or there) and then had to lose it again. so i should be able to say i’ve lost 178 pounds, you know?

spy • March 8, 2008 at 11:04 am

PQ – I am almost caught up on reading your archives and decided I better comment lest you discover I’m merely lurking. I hope you don’t get tired of hearing it, but you are such an inspiration and the epitome of determination. Great job on the blogging; it’s caused many moments of introspection and laughter (in the appropriate places, of course). The bad part of finishing the archives is that then I will have to wait for each new entry! Can’t wait for the book!

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine