My First 10K: I only did it for the cinnamon crunch bagel

The only thing you really need to know about the 10K I ran on Saturday morning is that, yes, there were cinnamon crunch bagels. And yes, they were even tastier than y’all led me to believe.

PastaQueen eating a yummy bagel

Take note of the man over my right shoulder who is surely thinking, “Mmmm, I wish I’d gotten one of those bagels.” I don’t know why they call it a bagel since it was really a cinnamon roll with a crunchy topping. Coming in at 410 calories, I still burned off more energy running 6.2 miles than I consumed eating it. That, my friends, is truly sublime. (We’ll just ignore the part about 75g of carbohydrates. 75 grams!)

My mom stayed over the night before the race and got up at 6:30am to cheer me on and be my official race photographer. If that wasn’t enough, she also bought me flowers which are currently on my counter being guarded by the prince from the Katamari Damacy video game. (I made him promise not to roll them up in a big ball.)

Flowers

It was interesting attending the race with my mom because she is not in the runner’s cult, whereas I am a newbie still being indoctrinated. When I see people in space-age running gear warming up on the lawn, I get a little bit excited and start coveting the cuter gear. She, on the other hand, looks at the people walking around in shorts in 30 degree temperatures and raises her eyebrows. Actually, I raise my eyebrows at those people too, but going to the race with an “outsider” did make me aware of how much I’ve changed in the past year by becoming more serious about running.

The 10K differed in several ways from the 5K in the training series three weeks ago, and not just because it was twice as long. There were 1400 people this time, about 235 more than last time. And they were all in line for the women’s bathroom – the only women’s bathroom since the other one was closed. I usually take care of my business before I leave the apartment, but about 15 minutes before the race I had to go and decided I needed to go now and not on the side of the road at the 3 mile marker. I was worried I might miss the start of the race, but thankfully the organizers realized the problem and pushed the start time back about 5 minutes. Wow, competence in event planning! Amazing!

Last time I didn’t know where the start line was, so I ended up too far in front of the pack and got passed a lot at the beginning. This time I overcompensated and started too far back, forcing me to weave and dodge around a lot of walkers. I ran into several roadblocks of people during the first two miles of the race since the lane was rather narrow and there were so many people running. I had to slow down to maneuver around groups or speed up to dodge through a gap at several points. I never had that problem during the 5Ks I ran, but it’s probably good practice for the mini-marathon which will be packed. There was a loop in the course this time that let me see the elite athletes running past at the two mile marker right as I was jogging past the one mile marker. They were literally running twice as fast as I was and they made it look so easy. They were elegant, long-legged gazelles galloping past as the rest of us plodded along as best we could.

After about 4 miles, I saw a pack of runners running down the cross-street ahead and was relieved to know I was about to turn back towards the finish line. Only not. The race pack continued on another block before turning around. I don’t know who those rogue pack of runners were, but their evil mind games must be stopped! I also wasn’t too fond of the people I encountered around the 5 mile marker, people who finished the race and then jogged backwards on the route for some reason. That’s just showing off.

I managed to run the whole 6.2 miles, only stopping to walk at two points to down some Gatorade. I never stopped at the Gatorade stations during the 5Ks, but man oh man did it help ingesting some carbs during the race. I didn’t feel as “run down” at the end of the 10K as I did at the end of the 5K. This could partly be because I was running at a slower pace, but I think the Gatorade had a lot to do with it. I finished in exactly 1 hour and 7 minutes, setting a pace of 10:47 per mile. In comparison, I set a pace of 10:05 per mile at the 5K. My split time was 33:40, meaning I finished slightly faster than I started. That surprised me because I was worried I was running too fast at the start of the race. I kept telling myself “Slow down!” though I kept going faster than I thought I should be. I also crossed the halfway point after the fastest guy finished at 32:04. However, my mom said that several of the first people across the finish line barfed over the side of the aluminum guard rail. So, there are advantages to going slower.

After the race I got to google the phrase runner’s trots, which despite the word “trot” has nothing to do with horses.

Thankfully, I have 6 weeks to prepare for the next race in the training series, a 15K, which is 9.3 miles for us Americans. It’s about equal to the distance from the starting point of the race to my apartment. If I really wanted to reduce my carbon footprint, I could just have someone drop me off at the starting line and run home. Or I could lobby the racing committee to change the race route to end at my front door, assuming I baked everyone bagels.

Loup • March 2, 2008 at 1:15 pm

I’ve been following this blog from over in India. You are truly inspiring (and I guess you must hear that often).

To run a 10K from where you started is simply amazing and I hope to do the same.

Good Luck!

Merry • March 2, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Woo Hoo!

Reb • March 2, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Congratulations! You must feel on top of the world after that. Love the yellow roses too!

Gecko Rock • March 2, 2008 at 2:13 pm

410 calories, 2g fiber, 8g fat… carry the one… 8 Weight Watchers points. Panera, here I come!

Lesley • March 2, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Oh goodie – you’ve got me all excited about my next running adventure – the Sheffield Half Marathon and then a 10km!! I know, not a logical order but I signed up for the 10km first then felt ready for the half marathon in April!!

Congratulations – you sound really buzzed up and that’s just great.

Lesley x

DDWT • March 2, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Rock on woman!

and rofl about the backwards runners ~ :razz: to those show offs!

Happy • March 2, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Yyyyyaaaaaaaaay!

Congratulations (both about the race, and the bagel)

I’m so going to be you when I grow up. I am inspired. You give me hope that my couch to 5k program can indeed grow into more. whoo hoo!

hanlie • March 2, 2008 at 3:25 pm

You rock! My husband says that’s a good time for a first 10K. Like Happy said, we all want to be you when we grow up (in my case, get thin – Happy is almost at goal, while I have another 160 pounds to go).

Comrade GoGo • March 2, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Great picture—and that’s one well-deserved cinnamon crunch bagel! I’m really enjoying the updates on your training and races :).

Sarah • March 2, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Nice job!! You did fantastic!!!

Jenn • March 2, 2008 at 4:33 pm

well done you! 1:07 for your first 10k is spectacular!

I’ve found that a 10k is my favorite distance. I always feel like crap the first mile or two of a run, so a 5k hardly gives me time to warm up, but a half marathon is Just. So. Long. that I bypass the point when I feel good out there.

Good luck on your 15k! You’re doing fantastic!

Aunt Annette • March 2, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Congratulations! Another milestone for you! I ran the mini-marathon in Indy in 2000, and the organizers that year had big signs posted in the starting area for different level runners labelled by their average minutes per mile pace. The people who knew they ran faster gathered at the faster pace signs closer to the start line and those of us who were slower (me and your Aunt Donna!) started farther back in the pack. This helped eliminate some of that bottlenecking and passing of slower runners. Maybe they’ll do that at this year’s race and the 15K too. Keep up the good work!

Heather • March 2, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Congrats on your first 10K!!!!!!

Isn’t running awesome? :)

radiosilents • March 2, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Wow, that is great! Once I get a little further into my weight loss (maybe another ten pounds or so), I plan to start doing the Couch to 5K program. I always loved the idea of running, and I did actually try cross country team in high school… I never did particularly well, but I enjoyed the challenge of it. Now, I want to be like one of those gazelles you mentioned! I want to feel like they feel!

Good luck for your 15k coming up. I know you’ll do great!

Thanks again for continuing to be a great inspiration. I feel like I really owe a lot to you, my dear.

Amy

AndrewE • March 2, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Wow! I’m so impressed. Well done.

Cindy • March 2, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Hi PQ,

Woo-hoo! That’s awesome! It is too cool that your mom is so supportive, too. Give her a high-5 for me. Everyone needs a mom like that. Did you notice how boney your fingers look in that photo, by the way? I mean boney!!! Would you have ever guessed that you’d have boney fingers 200 pounds ago?! You continue to push the envelope for the rest of us. I love envelope pushers!

sheddingpounds • March 2, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Great job!

Bronwyn • March 2, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Your mom takes awesome photos. Much better than my mom! And, you look so THIN there! That bagel looks right at home in your hand. You EARNED it! Go girl!

Bella • March 2, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Amazing! Inspiring! Fantastic! Phenomenal!

All of these words describe you and what you give to all those who read this blog daily (like me).

Thank you.

carmen • March 2, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Whoot! You go! I am wicked proud of you!

Cynthia • March 2, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Great going! Wow. Well, with my bad ankles and knee, I can’t see ever running a race, but maybe someday I can walk a 5K.

You earned the treat!

Shelladawn • March 2, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Woo hoo PQ!!!! Amazing, well done. And you look fabulous in the pic. Again, well done. You continue to inspire all of your readers.

Kalyn • March 2, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Good for you! What a great feeling. The thing I like best about exercising (which I am not doing nearly often enough lately) is how great you feel when you’re done.

robyn479 • March 2, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Wow! Way to go! I can’t imagine running or even walking that far at this point in time! I would love to find a beginners running group in my area or something, so that I can meet up with newbies and we can all train together! I’d love to be able to write about my first 10K a year or two from now!

Great job!

Meagan • March 3, 2008 at 1:52 am

Congrats on the 10K, and the cinnamon crunch bagel (that is possibly my favorite bagel in all the world…mmmm).

jae • March 3, 2008 at 2:42 am

You are so cool! Totally! And that bagel looks so yummy. ~j

jae • March 3, 2008 at 2:54 am

Oh and I wanted to say that you can really see your weightloss in your hands and lower arms–you on the side of the blog compaired to the running pic. How many watch notches did you go in? Funny, the subtlest differences can be the greatest. ~j

PQ – I’ve lost 6 notches on my wristwatch. It is somewhat amazing how much fat was in my wrist.

Cathleen • March 3, 2008 at 8:50 am

Congratulations, Pasta Queen!

And please — that was no bagel. That was a pastry, but you earned it and you deserved it!

psychsarah • March 3, 2008 at 10:14 am

Big props to you on a great race! I have been inspired by you to sign up for a 10 km running clinic that starts next week. I decided if you could suck it up and run in the freezing cold, so could I! (I live in Ontario where it will continue to be chilly for a while yet!) Thanks for continue to inspire so many of us to push ourselves!

BrightAngel • March 3, 2008 at 10:18 am

Congratulations on your successful run.

I’m happy for you.

Befreckled • March 3, 2008 at 10:25 am

So when do we get a twirly picture of you in your running gear? Maybe in the special dress edition shots? You may not have different numbers, but you are definitely looking different!

K • March 3, 2008 at 10:31 am

welldonewelldonewelldonewelldone!

That is so amazing! (I am extra impressed because I keep saying I’m going to do a 10K and then life gets in the way… maybe this year will be the year.)

The bagel looks good.

Joyce • March 3, 2008 at 10:38 am

Good job and yes those Cinnamon Crunch bagels are amazing, especially with the flavored cream cheese!

Joyce

Dyan • March 3, 2008 at 11:00 am

Maybe, just maybe, that guy behind you is checking out your tight ass!

G.G. • March 3, 2008 at 11:04 am

Well done!

I bet whoever said that “nothing tastes as good as being thin feels” never ate a Panera cinnamon crunch bagel after running 6.2 miles. If you’ve got to replenish your glycogen stores and all that, do it in style!

Candy • March 3, 2008 at 11:08 am

CONGRATS! You and I hold the same pace. I finished both of my 10k’s in 1:07 and some seconds. The second one was only mildly faster than my first.

I can’t wait to see your 15k results!

I’m running my first 15k this Saturday. The longest I have ever gone. :squeak: But I’m totally going to rock it out. I want to finish in 1:35, but I’m giving myself 1:45 just in case. There’s a nice size bridge at the end. (www.gate-riverrun.com)

Anyway – sorry – Congratulations!! And after 6.2 miles, you’re no longer a newb :-) Good luck on the next series of runs!

Donna • March 3, 2008 at 2:59 pm

I agree with Dyan. That guy was checkin’ you out, not the bagel.

wilma • March 3, 2008 at 3:33 pm

congratulations!!! you look fantastic! about the people throwing up at the end of the race…my old coach used to say, if you throw up after the race, you raced your hardest. craziness, i know…

MB • March 3, 2008 at 4:45 pm

WOW! You are my hero! Great job! You look amazing and I agree the guy was probably lusting over you and not the bagel.

Damn, now I want to go to Panara for one of those cinnamon crunch bagels but I didn’t just run a 10K so no yummy bagels for me.

Christina • March 3, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Congrats! Great time too! I think the guy in the background was checking you out and not the bagel. Just my 2 cents.

Luckily where I am there are no Panera’s or I’d be stuffing my face with those ‘bagels’ every day.

Sally Parrott Ashbrook • March 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm

PQ, a 10k! That’s awesome. Great job. :D

Lyn • March 3, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Oh my Gosh! Look at your hands! I was just looking back and forth over and over at your hands now vs. your hands on the side of your blog. I still have semi puffy sausage hands and wrists but oh my gosh, what a goal to shoot for. Boney wrists and skinny little fingers grasping a pastry and stuffing it into my mouth FOR A PICTURE without looking like an ad for weight loss surgery. Congrats! You look great!

MamaMaven • March 4, 2008 at 8:53 am

Congrats on finishing the 10K. Hope you enjoyed every bite of that bagel.

Stephanie Quilao • March 4, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Woo-hoo! Congrats on your race. That is so sweet that mom came. My parents would do the same thing, and they would be at the finish line with camera and video camera yelling at me to pose and smile as I cross the line.

One thing I love about the races is gawking at all the cute boys like the one standing behind you. Nothing like a hottie to get me trotting. I’m so simple that way…lol..

Jen • March 4, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Congratulations! A 10K is definitely more than twice as hard as a 5K. And, ugh, runner’s trots.

Glad you enjoyed the race and the bagel!

Paige • March 7, 2008 at 11:20 am

Hooray for you! You are really an inspiration!

I’m so sorry about the 19 day headache. Here’s me patting you on the back saying, it’ll be ok.

I can kind of relate. My eyes have hurt for over a week now. I’ve got an appointment to have my eyes checked today. But I don’t wear glasses or contacts and I think I still can see fine, they just hurt. And they are twitching, like I’m really tired.

I, too, was hoping it was a sinus thing, or that it will just go away.

Hang in there, baby. And keep on exercising.

Lindsay • March 20, 2008 at 7:08 pm