I love it when rest and ice actually work

When I was a baby, I liked to be bounced up and down. That might be why I like running. There’s something rhythmic about bounding down the trail. My left foot has been feeling much better, so I ran for 10 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, and it was indeed awesome. I have missed the running. I’ve missed that rhythm. I finished up the last 20 minutes on the elliptical so as not to overdo it. I can’t afford to injure myself again before the half-marathon.

I was a bit worried on Sunday because my left knee felt weird. At the rate these things were happening, I thought I’d soon be reporting that the left side of my body had fallen off and I was going to rename this blog “A Fourth of Me.” Thankfully the knee feels fine today too, so we’re back in business.

All this means I didn’t go for my training run with my group on Saturday morning, but I’ll hopefully be back out there this Saturday. Just in time for the 1 hour 45 minute run! Um, yay? I doubt I’ll do that whole distance. I’ll see how my foot’s feeling and go with that. I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but even though I’ve missed several group runs I still haven’t missed a Saturday morning with lovely weather. Even though it’s warmer, it’s still been gloomy or rainy. Before that it was always snowy or icy. There has yet to be one really nice morning for a run. This is a city where I had to scrape frost off of my car on Easter morning. I’ve lived here for several years, but I can’t remember a winter this long. I don’t know if my memory is just bad or if the cold starts to grate on you after several years or if this is indeed a really, long winter. I do know that it is officially spring now and I’d like to see some God damn roses on the side of the trail that I can stop to smell.

Olivia • March 25, 2008 at 8:23 am

It’s not just you. This has been the longest, most excrutiating winter of my life. I’m up on South Bend and it has pretty much been cloudy, cold and wet since November. Ugh….

Debbi • March 25, 2008 at 8:25 am

I remember LOTS of phantom pains that came and went when I was training for last year’s Country Music Half-Marathon. As long as the pains move around – knee one time, hip the next – assume it’s more mental than physical. I was more afraid of injury before the race than I was of not finishing. You’re doing great! Can’t wait for your big day.

Becca • March 25, 2008 at 9:03 am

So not just you! I glare at the weather people (darn that perky Angela Buckman and her cute hair)and I know it is somehow their fault.

I’ve lost 45 lbs since January 1 and I have cute new short sleeve tops to wear. Short sleeves are not quite as cute when your arms are covered in goosepimples and your lips are blue.

It is unfair that the name of the happy fun and fitness trail has the word “greenway” in it, when over half of the year there is nothing “green” on it, unless someone spits out their mint gum on the pavement.

Daisy • March 25, 2008 at 11:17 am

I’m also in the midwest (Chicago) and am ready for it to feel like spring, not just say it on the calendar. This winter feels longer to me because it’s the first time I’ve tried to run outside over the course of the winter. All the snow/ice coupled with people who don’t shovel their sidewalks has definitely made my half-marathon training difficult and made this winter seem to go on forever!

anonymous boxer • March 25, 2008 at 12:31 pm

*sigh* – I’m in the PNW – it will be raining until….. oh hell, we don’t get spring here, we just get warmer rain.

I’m glad to hear your knee is back in the running business!

anji • March 25, 2008 at 12:59 pm

I think it’s a bit of a mind-game. Easter came earlier than usual this year (usually it’s about 2 weeks later I think?) so – we THINK it’s been a longer winter but – maybe it’s just the norm?

(Though, the 6 ft of snow we got this year plus the 5cm …er, 2 inches more for you american folks — coming today are making me wonder if winter will ever end)… ugh.

K • March 25, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Feels like a long winter here too.

I wonder if you got the funny feeling in your knee because you were (unconsciously) trying to go easy on your foot, and altering your gait as a result? I’ve done that in the past.

But if your foot is better, there’s no reason why that should continue to be a problem. Happy running!

Genki • March 25, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Easter can be up to month later than it was this year. It was as early as it possibly can be this time. That said, winter still sucks by March!

AG • March 25, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Fingers crossed (when they are not busy eating half-priced Easter candy) that your knee heals. I know how hard you’ve been training for this!!! Get well.

AG

Lisa • March 25, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Good luck with the knee.

Cindy • March 25, 2008 at 5:01 pm

I found myself cursing the weather, yet again… and I usually like winter! It does seem as though it has lasted a long, long time. I am just so tired of being cold. I want to be dressed in a reasonable number of layers and actually feel comfortable. I don’t need to wear my t-shits yet, if that’s how it has to be…but if I am wearing a long-sleeved shirt, over an undershirt… and I am wearing a hoodie, and I am inside—and I am still cold?! That is just WRONG!

Here’s to spring and reasonable warmth. The hell with Al Gore…I am ready for a little global warming! Sorry. I don’t really mean that. I just want it a little warmer in my particular neighborhood. I don’t need a global catastrophe on my conscience… Scratch that… I’ll just put on another layer…

Lurker • March 25, 2008 at 7:23 pm

This has nothing to do with your running post (sorry!) but I wanted to tell you that as of today I’ve lost 50 pounds, and a huge part of my motivation has come from reading your blog. You are an inspiration, and such a great observer of the world. Thank you! (30 more to go…)

Shelley • March 25, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Hey, you midwesterners still have 6 days for March to go “out like a lamb.” Here’s hoping! Here in AZ, March came in like a nice little lamb, and is going out like a fire-breathing dragon. 90 degrees, yuck. Too hot to exercise outside, for sure. I’m sure it’ll be 100 by next Thursday.

To Lurker above me…50 lbs, awesome! Congratulations!

fatbridesmaid • March 25, 2008 at 11:05 pm

Longest. Winter. Ever. What happened to the sun?! A few weeks ago I had sun and felt happy and movitated and WARM and now? Again with the grayness and rain and cold. Stupid Ohio.

Andrew is getting fit • March 26, 2008 at 12:59 am

I find with running that while I am running I’m thinking ‘let this be over’ and then as soon as I’m done I’m itching to go running again.

We are just heading into Winter now so I’m a bit worried about how I will deal with it. I might have to run indoors on the treadmill. But I will run. And I’ll be thinking ‘let this be over’. :)

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.