Baby it’s cold outside

I got up at seven o’clock this morning, ate my oatmeal, suited up in my running gear, grabbed my gloves and walked out the door to go to my half-marathon training group. I made it literally one step out the door when the frigid 30-degree air hit my face, feeling colder than I remembered 30-degree air being. That’s when I said, “Fuck this shit,” and walked back inside. It’s the end of March and there should not be frost on my car in the morning. There have been enough “PastaQueen battles the elements” entries. It’s about time for a “PastaQueen goes to the YMCA with her shiny new MP3 player” entry.

There is a surprisingly large amount of people at the YMCA on a Saturday morning. I spent most of my life asleep on Saturday mornings, so it’s odd to think there are thousands of people around the world who get up that early on purpose to take part in painful exercise, and that I am now one of them. Today the schedule called for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Which is why it’s more of a “guideline” than a schedule. My left foot has been feeling great, but going for a run longer than many major motion pictures would be an easy way to make it feel not great again. Overuse is probably how I damaged it in the first place, and I can’t afford to be injured again before my race. This also provided an excellent rationalization for ditching my training group, because I would be able to stop running at any time if my foot began to hurt. Instead, I only ran for an hour, hopping off after 45 minutes to walk across the gym to refill my water bottle and then get back on the treadmill. The morning sun pounds down through the gym’s eastern wall of windows in the morning, so ironically I was hot at the end of my run instead of trying to warm numb earlobes.

It was damn exhausting. I am trying not to think about the fact that I’m running a 15K in two weeks, which will take almost twice as long as today’s run. That’s 9.2 miles, farther than I’ve ever run at once in my life. It will probably take me a little under two hours, longer than I’ve ever run at once in my life. And then, oh yeah, the Mini-Marathon is only a month away now. This is going to be painful. I’m really going to have to stick to my training schedule if I have any hope of making it to the finish line in a reasonable time.

But at least I have an MP3 player that works! I may be a techie, but I have never been into gadgets. They’re expensive and I’m the type of person who keeps something until it completely breaks. Last week, when I left the gym in an angry rage because my old MP3 player died halfway through a workout, I decided it was time to cough up the cash for a new one. I thought about getting an iPod, but you have to buy an extra doohickie to listen to the radio on it. Instead I purchased a competing device with a built-in radio that was much cheaper, giving up any attempt to be trendy. I’m rapidly approaching age 30 and it’s time to accept that I will probably never be trendy again (not that I ever was).

I wanted a radio because now I can listen to the audio on the TVs at the gym. Those little signs that say “Tune to 90.1 FM to listen” have been taunting me for weeks. I really want to listen to Ellen live instead of reading the captioning 20 seconds after the dialogue has been spoken. And now I can. That’s at least one good reason to keep training.

ETA: I originally avoided saying what MP3 player I bought because I didn’t want y’all to think the purpose of this post was to sell you electronics. But, a couple people asked so I’m adding the info here to quell curiosity, not to make big bucks. I got the Creative Zen V Plus 4 GB Portable Media Player. It’s got a radio, I can organize music into playlists, it supports Audible files so I can listen to audio books, and 4GB holds enough music for me to run across the state without any duplicates. It’s not dependent on any software to work, meaning you can plug it into a USB drive and transfer files on basically any computer. It also recharges through the USB port, which is handy because I don’t have to fumble with two different plugs. Also, it is a standard USB connection, so if I lose the plug I can buy a new one very easily. The sound quality is good and I’ve been happy with it so far. I’ll let you know if I have any problems. It’s very small and lightweight, so my biggest fear is simply losing it or dropping the thing.

Trisha • March 29, 2008 at 7:30 pm

You are WAY too funny!!! I laughed out loud and hubby asked what I was laughing about. Then he chuckled too! Thanks for bringing up my spirits.

barbara • March 29, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Good for you for choosing the workout you wanted to do instead!

Could you reveal which MP3 player you bought recently? I’d like to get one with a radio but I am clueless about these gizmos.

Amy • March 29, 2008 at 8:56 pm

It’s a weird place to be – when one gets up early ON PURPOSE to work out. I have found myself there recently.

I ran a 15K two weeks ago, and if you’ve ever run more than 6 miles, you’ll be fine! My goal was 1 hour 45 minutes for the 15K and I totally made it under that time. Of course my half-marathon isn’t until May, so I have a bit more time for that, but it’s all about finishing – not finishing in a certain time. Don’t overdo! And YAY! for runners.

Cindy • March 29, 2008 at 9:37 pm

You are a hoot and a half! I LOVE IT that you did your own thing and trained at the gym, because that was what was right for you in that moment. What an inspiration you continue to be ~ showing US how to take care of ourselves. By being brave and flaunting your scorn for the status quo, you give others permission to put themselves first, too. And face it, I am guessing that a majority of your readers are women, and women are usually all too ready put others’ needs before their own, including “doing the right thing.” You took care of “Pasta Queen’s” interests ~ Woo-hoo!!!Maybe you will redefine the trend and create your own “trendy.”

origamifreak • March 29, 2008 at 11:21 pm

I wondered about the MP3 player, too. I have a Creative Zen Vision M and I’m pretty happy with it, but it is sensitive to temperature extremes. Best to bring it in with me, rather than leaving it in the car.

I like that it’s compatible with the audiobooks I download from the eNYPL (free for any resident of NY State). It also does radio. And on a recent work trip overseas when my cell phone didn’t work (it’s my default alarm clock), I was able to use the Zen, with the headphones plugged in and the sound turned all the way up.

It’s kind-of big and heavy, though. I hardly ever use the video function except for keeping a couple of Tai Chi routines on there in case I need reminding for the order of the postures.

Andrew is getting fit • March 30, 2008 at 2:03 am

Good on you! 15K sounds like a great distance. I did my first 5K race today and I’m hoping to do the same as you and start doing longer races.

Ashley • March 30, 2008 at 2:51 am

When I was in college I went running early in the morning and there were always older people rocking the indoor track. They were amazing! It was great to see them every morning to.

I can’t wait to move to a place that has a gym!

Congrats on the warmness!

KateH • March 30, 2008 at 4:11 am

I just want to comment to Andrew…. I love that you said “good on you” my high school french teacher said that. He was so awesome, and you brought back good memories!

doriscbwong • March 30, 2008 at 7:50 am

Off-topic:

I just had run my first 10K race (http://www.klmarathon.gov.my), my time was 1hr 8min. I felt satisfied with my result :)

Next plans: 9K Orange Run on 13th Apr and New Balance-Pacesetters 15k Run. The later one will be tough, not only the distance is 50% longer, and it is hilly!

Cheers!

PastaQueen • March 30, 2008 at 8:33 am

Okay, I purposely avoided saying what MP3 player I bought because I didn’t want y’all to think the purpose of this post was to sell you electronics. But, since you asked, I got the Creative Zen V Plus 4 GB Portable Media Player. It’s got a radio, I can organize music into playlists, it supports Audible files so I can listen to audio books, and 4GB holds enough music for me to run across the state without any duplicates. It’s not dependent on any software to work, meaning you can plug it into a USB drive and transfer files on basically any computer. It also recharges through the USB port, which is handy because I don’t have to fumble with two different plugs. Also, it is a standard USB connection, so if I lose the plug I can buy a new one very easily. The sound quality is good and I’ve been happy with it so far. I’ll let you know if I have any problems. It’s very small and lightweight, so my biggest fear is simply losing it or dropping the thing.

Another shopping tip for you: I logged into the Discover Card online site, went to the “Shop Discover” section, and bought the player through Circuit City’s online store, but scheduled it for in-store pick up. This way I got a 5% cashback on my Discover Card by shopping through their store, but I was able to pick the player up immediately instead of waiting for shipping.

Natalie • March 30, 2008 at 11:31 am

I think your whole reasoning through your workout decisions are the why you’re succeeding losing weight. It’s not “All or Nothing.” You just adapted a little to fit your needs… I think I would have either went and froze and killed my foot or I would have said “screw it.” Same with eating. I need to learn to eat when I’m truly hungry, and if it is breaking the rules of my “healthy lifestyle,” I don’t have to throw the whole thing down the toilet!!

Also, I’ve been listening to hours & hours of podcasts as I exercise. I’ve found out that 8 GB on an ipod is actually not even enough b/c combined with putting a bunch of music on there, all the space is gone! Podcasts take up more space than music. Just another thought to throw in there if anyone is shopping for media devices.

Erica • March 30, 2008 at 12:46 pm

I don’t miss Michigan weather at all. I’m sure Indiana is similar. Good luck on your 15K! That is quite impressive. :) I’m gearing up to do a 5K in October (and I have a long way to go for such a short distance, but your posts keep me motivated).

psychsarah • March 30, 2008 at 1:26 pm

I am feeling all high and happy after my run today (8 km-the farthest I’ve ever gone in my life!) and then I got such a good giggle from your post-life is good!

Lanette • March 30, 2008 at 3:49 pm

That’s hilarious! I was commenting to my friend the other day it’s like watching one of those bad kung foo movies that has been converted to English. The words can’t keep up with the mouth! You crack me up.

I agree with the weather. I can’t take any more of this Indiana weather. we went to the Children’s Museum in Indy on Thursday and almost froze to death walking across the parking lot!

I’m ready for Spring!

MamaMaven • March 30, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Congrats on getting your workout in no matter what the temperature. Running for an hour on a treadmill is more than I can bear. We ran outside this morning and rode our bikes for over an hour, my feet were numb on the bike and I was actually happy to start running for a change!

I am SO ready for Spring to come and stay!

MizFit • March 31, 2008 at 5:39 am

and that ONE GOOD REASON is what gets me there 99 percent of the time.

my only trash tv moment of the day.

M.

Christy • April 1, 2008 at 12:44 am

Just make sure you charge the mp3 player before your race! I’ve made that mistake before, and it’s much worse to be running with an ipod that doesn’t even work!

Kelly • April 2, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Oo, you have a fancy Y with TV’s. Mine is very utilitarian.

I too was shocked when I headed over on Saturday morning and the place was PACKED. It’s never that busy on the weekday mornings, but I guess everyone is trying to get the workout over and done with so they can have the rest of their Saturday free.

Gwen >> My Relationship Resume • April 4, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Oh, that’s really cool how you can tune into a radio station to get the audio on the TVs at your gym. I’m not much for gyms – no cash flow – so I didn’t know about this recent/old technology.

Way to go to support an iPod competitor – except you didn’t name it! For all their ingratiating trend factor, I’m annoyed that you have to buy something extra in order to TUNE INTO THE WORLD. It seems to only promote tuning out!

PQ – Someone else asked too, so I posted the answer in a comment up above. I’ll add it to the entry too so it’s more prominent.

Gwen >> My Relationship Resume • April 4, 2008 at 6:18 pm