They really shrunk in the wash

I was folding my laundry last night, and I’ve eithered gained a TON of weight in my hands, or my running mittens shrunk:

Small hands

They really weren’t kidding about that “line dry” stuff in the garment tag, eh? I know “My pants must have shrunk!” is a popular excuse for weight-gain denial, but I don’t think I’ve ever had a pair of pants shrink in the dryer. I wear a lot of space-age, artificial fibers, which are cheap and make me fire proof. They also don’t typically shrink on me. I actually giggled when I pulled the tiny black hand out of a pile of socks. It’s amazing how small they’ve gotten. These mittens look like they belong to a 7-year-old. I suppose that’s what you get for $5.00. Thankfully I was smart enough not to throw any of my new sweat-wicking activewear in the dryer, or else I’d probably be outfitting an entire kindergarten class by now.

Mental note: buy new mittens for running by Saturday morning. Mental note 2: read the garment tag before washing and drying new clothes.

Kate H • February 22, 2008 at 8:23 am

LOL…. a nice friday post. Hope your headache has finally gone away.

jane • February 22, 2008 at 8:39 am

It looks like those stretchy $1 one-size-fits-all gloves. Are you sure it doesn’t fit? What did it look like before?

PQ – They are the stretchy, one-size-fits-all gloves. They’re just not stretchy anymore.

Jill • February 22, 2008 at 8:39 am

So did the Vaporub work?? It might work for your headache, but I’ll bet it makes your hair super greasy! (I’m kidding of course) Thanks for the comment on my blog – I feel so important now!!

Jill • February 22, 2008 at 9:34 am

oh I hate it when my post gets posted twice!! It’s like the virtual trip over the nonexistent crack in the sidewalk!!

PQ – No worries. I deleted it for you. It’s like it never happened.

Mary • February 22, 2008 at 9:47 am

I buy the cheap stretchy $1 gloves for running. I always buy black and get abour 4-5 pairs each winter. Then when my hands get hot I tuck them in my waistband. If I lose one,no big deal because I have 8-10 more just like it at home. In a race you can just toss them.

AKS • February 22, 2008 at 9:48 am

never ever put your wicking active wear in the drier! always line dry.

DDWT • February 22, 2008 at 10:00 am

I hope this means your headache has left the building. :)

PQ – No, it’s still squatting. No success in evicting it.

Danielle • February 22, 2008 at 10:23 am

Literally not 10 minutes ago I was turning the house upside down and screeching at my 6 year old because we couldn’t find her other black mitten, and I sent her to school with one black, and one blue striped.

Well, now we know where the other one went!

Hope your headache went away!

Red • February 22, 2008 at 11:33 am

Do you have evil roommates?

If one of them mentions something about people becoming giants in their mid 20s, I’d be suspicious.

TOWR • February 22, 2008 at 12:20 pm

No, I SWEAR that my pants shrink the dryer. Even skinny people tell me their pants shrink. You have pants that fit perfectly when you put them in, and then you pull them out and you have to do squats in them to make them fit again! Grrr!

But my pants that fit five months ago that don’t fit now? Yeah, that’s just my butt growing…

K • February 22, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Hope your head starts to improve soon…

February IS a rotten month. I’m not feeling too good myself (cold) and I sympathise!

Cindy • February 22, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Smart Wool makes a great thin glove (they sell them as glove liners, I believe). They’re about $14 a pair, but so worth the money. I have a couple of pairs—one for every jacket. In the really cold weather, I wear them under my big mitts, that way, when I need to take my hand out (say for a tissue…) I still have a warm glove on, and yet can move easily. And they are wool, but washable! Good luck! And you might try more wool and less microfibers (some are highly flammable, you know!).

anonymous boxer • February 22, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I’m impressed you washed them. I won’t even tell you the last time I cleaned my hand wraps. TMI?

I thought so.

Lea Burnside • February 22, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Not dryer drying things may fix your issue, but what do you do when you have dye run onto other items? Got any wise suggestions for that so that I can salvage a couple of favorite items from my teensy wardrobe? Any help is appreciated! LOL

rbell • February 22, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Long time listener, first time caller. I love your blog! I also love the picture of your hand right next to the picture of you when you first started your journey. Your hand looks so lean now, whereas before, it looked swollen. The reason I noticed this is because my hands are so swollen that my fingers look short and stubby and I can’t get my rings on. I want my hands to look like the lean ones in your photo. I seriously do not have a hand fetish, even though it probably sounds like I do! I live in West Lafayette, btw, and the weather has been playing with my, my children and husbands health. Hope the headaches pass soon.

PQ – I really wish I’d taken progress photos of just my hands, face, and feet during this process. It’s AMAZING how much smaller they’ve gotten. I’ve gone down 6 notches on my wrist watch and rings that used to fit on my ring finger now fit on my thumb.

Ashley • February 23, 2008 at 11:42 am

random question: Is the picture on the front of your book you?

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada