My second 5K – Free bagels! (But not for me)

I don’t have a picture of myself crossing the finish line in this morning’s 500 Festival Training Series 5K because although my friends and family love me, none of them love me enough to wake up at 6:30 in the morning on a Saturday and stand in 40 degree weather at the finish line waiting for me to run 3.1 miles. Instead, here is a photo my mother brought me just last night, a photo I didn’t think existed, a photo of me crossing the finish line at my very first 5K last September.

No time to check the time when I'm crossing the finish line

I love how the girl next to me is casually checking her watch as I plow across the finish line with a grimace on my face in the hopes of shaving half a second off my time. This morning’s 5K is part of a series leading up the Indy 500 Mini-Marathon in May. Next month I run a 10K and the month after that a 15K. I ran this morning’s 5K in 31:17, a new personal record which beats my Irish Fest 5K time of 32:35 by 1:18. Go, me! The race results say that the average time was 32:55, so I’m better than average. (ETA: Hey! I just checked the link and the average time went down to 31:43. Bizarre. But I’m still better than average.) That seems a little odd since I placed in the bottom 50% of finishers, but maybe there was a pack of really slow people who raised the average time for everyone? If so, thank you, slow people!

The course for this race was essentially identical to the course for my last race. My bib number was practically the same too: last time 51 and this time 518. I had to run the same hills slight inclines and declines that I did last time, meaning my improvement can all be marked up to me and not an easier course. I was relieved that the chance of rain and snow predicted turned out to be as great as my chance of winning a foosball tournament. After running in 6 degree weather, 40 degrees seemed rather temperate and lovely. I am most surprised that my left foot seems to have healed *knock on wood*. In the past, I’ve rested and iced injuries and it’s done jack shit. I’m incredulous that the ibuprofen and rest actually did what it was supposed to do this time. I’ve been particularly careful about injury prevention, stretching before and after workouts even though it’s boring. I even walked around the parking garage for 5 minutes before the race, risking looking like a stalker/mugger, just so I could warm up my muscles. It’s my responsibility to take care of my body. No one else is going to do it for me.

The last mile was a complete bitch – a slobbering, rabid, bitch that you feel is chasing you down the last mile and is all that keeps you going. At my last 5K, I picked up the pace for the last mile, but this time I was concentrating on keeping an even pace since that’s what I’ll have to do at the Mini-Marathon. I was hoping to maintain a 10 minute per mile pace, and I came damn close with my 10:05 pace. They were distributing free apples, bananas, cookies, chips, and Panera bagels at the finish area. I seriously considered taking a cookie. And just hearing the words “Cinnamon Crunch Bagel” made me stutter in my stride, but I went for the apple and banana instead. I don’t have anything against eating cookies, and chomping on them after a race is probably the best time to do so, but I ate way too many processed, crappy foods in December and January. It made it much harder to stay on track and contributed to me losing my groove. It’s time to get off the crack. There’s no doubt that stuff does psycho shit to my blood sugar. I handle it better when I’m only aiming for maintenance. If I want to lose weight it’s easier to take a zero-tolerance approach. I certainly intend to eat cookies again in my life, but I’m going to lay off them for now. The Cinnamon Crunch Bagel will still be available next year. And really, is it that frickin’ big of a deal to turn down bagels and cookies?

Whenever I start eating lots of processed carbs, I feel like a mentally ill person who’s decided to go off her meds. “I feel so good! I’m fine! I can (eat donuts again/stop taking my pills)!” Only I can’t. Some people need to take their pills and I definitely need to stay off the bagels. Missing one pill from time to time won’t make you crazy, and eating one donut occasionally won’t make my blood sugar crash like the American economy, but if either event becomes a habit you’re in trouble.

And they gave me a free hat, so who am I to complain?

In continuing Mini-Marathon training coverage, I made a Google calendar of my training schedule, if anyone wants to see what I’m doing. I know I sure was surprised! I hadn’t looked past the first page, but once I got to the end of March I started typing things like “Run 1 hour 45 minutes” and preceded to freak out a little. After doing that, I just might eat a bagel.

I’ve also added a countdown widget in my blog’s sidebar on the right, just below my stats. When I first posted it, I had 92 days left, but I did not consider that time would continue flowing onward in a linear fashion. Over a week later I only have 83 days left. I’m assuming that if there are no bubbles in the space-time continuum, a week from now I’ll only have 76 days left. This continued lessoning of numbers also freaks me out a little, reminding me that, “Oh yeah, you really are going to run 13.1 miles in May.” I got on Google maps and determined that this will be like running to work from my apartment and then running halfway back. After which I will definitely eat a bagel, and probably half a pizza too.

Mrs. Duffy • February 9, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Yay! Great race, great time, great self-discipline on the bagel / cookies front, and great (old) race picture! Seriously, you look so tall and slim and runnerly in the photo – very becoming. I’m about to go and look at your training schedule; I imagine I’ll be shamed at first and then motivated to step it up, which is a good thing. Keep it up!!!

dietgirl • February 9, 2008 at 3:37 pm

A bagel-free PB! what a day, eh? well bloody done PQ :) I gotta check out your calendar, schedules RULE!

AndrewE • February 9, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Congratulations. I’ve got my first 5K coming up at the end of March and am hoping to follow in your footsteps.

Heather • February 9, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Way to go!!!!!!!! I am so excited when I see your running posts. I just remember how awesome/addictive it was to start.

K • February 9, 2008 at 5:23 pm

You do look very tall and slim! I sort of assume everyone is the same height online.

Congratulations on the personal best* – that’s really good going, especially with the recently-healed foot.

*I read Dietgirl’s “PB” as “peanut butter” and took a moment to work out what that had to do with anything. Maybe it was the proximity to bagels that confused me.

Debbi • February 9, 2008 at 6:36 pm

And a banana. Don’t forget to get some potassium after you run to work and halfway back again. Heh.

Great job on the race. If I’d been in Indy, I would definitely have been there to snap a finish-line photo.

PQ – Awww, thanks Debbi!

Kalyn • February 9, 2008 at 6:40 pm

“Whenever I start eating lots of processed carbs, I feel like a mentally ill person who’s decided to go off her meds.”

Me too! You’re doing great on the exercising. I’m in a slump lately and need to get back in the groove. My exercise partner and I seem to take turns getting sick, just when we get going again one of us gets sick.

MamaMaven • February 9, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Congrats on the PB at the race and staying away from the bagel. I seem to remember one of those puppies has over 400 calories in addition to the major carb load!

DD • February 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Well-done!!

Jenny • February 10, 2008 at 12:35 am

I. Am. Impressed.

sheddingpounds • February 10, 2008 at 6:49 am

Pretty cool pic! :)

Isabelle • February 10, 2008 at 9:57 am

Well done indeed. And aren’t you tall? And slender?

Lora • February 10, 2008 at 11:10 am

Good job, PQ! I started running again and I hope I have similar results in the future.

Sally Parrott Ashbrook • February 10, 2008 at 11:51 am

Go PQ! Your PB is awesome—and everyone else is right that you look so long-limbed and slim in the running photo. I ran 3 miles a couple of days ago–my first time doing that distance in the last couple of weeks–and it totally kicked my ass. I wish I had timed myself to see if my time had improved so that I could at least chalk the difficulty up to me running faster! (I do think part of it was running briefly next to road construction, which had filled the air with foul, foul chemicals and particles.)

Laura • February 10, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Wow, I want to do a race with Panera Cinnamon Crunch bagels at the end! Even the half-marathon I ran today only had boring, plain-flavored, no-name bagels.

TrailMix718 • February 10, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Way to go, Spaghetti!

BDG • February 10, 2008 at 7:32 pm

That’s a great pic – I wish I was as tall as you are. On a short person (5 ft 1) every lb shows. I can relate about the carbs. Once I start eating bagels or any type of bread or baked good (my favorite) it’s all over. How people can eat a bagel for breakfast and not binge all day, I do not know. I am far better off when I have oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, veggie links, almonds, etc. But yet I still want doughnuts and pancakes. Keep up the great work with the running

Beth • February 10, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Just came to your site – great job on the 5K!

I’ve been on SB for about 3 1/2 months. It’s great to read about your success. I look forward to reading your book! Thanks! Beth

TOWR • February 10, 2008 at 9:50 pm

WOW! You’re freaking awesome! You actually motivate me in a positive way, which is really saying something.

I would be amiss if I didn’t leave you with an applicable Morrissey musing: “Why is the last mile the hardest mile?” (From “Is It Really So Strange”, Louder Than Bombs)

Loey • February 11, 2008 at 8:09 am

I’ve run several half-marathons and marathons, and as a word of advice, once you pass the 10K or one hour mark, DO NOT fight your urge for a bagel or a cookie. Your body has used up its immediately available energy (glycogen) and needs to replenish. Simple carbs are the best for this (and a mix of simple and complex will take you even further, i.e. whole wheat bread with ample amounts of jam, or with peanut butter and honey).

Aside from your body needing the energy, many people (i.e. moi) can feel really nauseated if their glycogen isn’t replaced (I’ve actually started vomiting… which actually sucks moreon an empty stomach).

Heather • February 11, 2008 at 11:53 am

Congrats on the PB! Even though you’ve had an injury and probably weren’t able to train as hard as your last 5km, you were able to beat your last time! Thats incredible.

I tried to click on your calendar link but I’m just getting the Google page for me to sign in. Am I missing something? Is there somewhere on your page that I click to see your calendar? Not the most computer literate person here.

PQ – I guess you have to have a google account to view the calendar via the link. I tried to embed the calendar, but my blogging software has issues with including inline frames, so it didn’t work.

apexantapex • February 11, 2008 at 2:09 pm

You may not want to avoid a bagel or a cookie, but hear me now and believe me later, stay away from Panera Cinnamon Crunch bagels. Those things are laced with little delicious nuggets of gooey goodness, and I suspect, high-grade crack. I rue the day I tried them.

(Well, I don’t rue too hard over it. But they are awfully good and something you’ll want for those indulgent occasions. They’re not normal bagels. Like some muffins are not really muffins but cake-in-paper. :)

Jon Gray • February 15, 2008 at 2:33 pm