Officer Krupke is my weight loss hero

While I have been maintaining my weight for the last several months, my cat has been putting me to shame. Officer Krupke is down 3.5 pounds since August. According to Hill’s Pet Fit site, Krupke was the human equivalent of 40 pounds overweight. Now he’s only 9 pounds above average. He’s lost 30 pet pounds! Don’t worry. I haven’t been starving him and he doesn’t have any horrible diseases. He’s been on a vet supervised diet, and it seems diets do work with cats.

I started to notice Krupke’s weight loss in the same way that I noticed my own. When I was petting down his back last week I felt bones that I hadn’t felt before, just like how I felt my pelvic bones after I’d lost about 100 pounds. Krupke also seems to be prone to the same cravings and binges as humans. Last night I caught him licking grease from my George Foreman grill after I cooked a steak. I pulled him off the kitchen counter immediately, but got distracted by food boiling on the stove. Later that night I discovered the tray was amazingly grease-free, though I’d never cleaned it out. Hmmm…I’d love to believe he learned how to use the paper towel dispense and wiped the tray clean, but I think a cat tongue was the more likely cleaning agent.

Grease binges aside, I give big props to Krupke for losing weight, but I deserve some of the credit too. I listened to lots of late-night moaning for food and endured several nips from a hungry cat who decided to snack on my wrist. It’s a lot easier to lose weight when your life is controlled by a benevolent master who drives 5 miles each way to buy you specially formulated diet food. It seems to be an effective weight-loss program if you can manage it. He looks dapper enough to be featured on a greeting card.

In this season of weight-loss challenges and body challenges, I cracks me up that not even the doggies and kitties are left out with the existence of the Pet Fit Challenge. They’re even going on the road, to a city near you! (If you are not me, because the closest they’re coming to the Midwest is Florida.) The site has all the same things human weight-loss sites have – weight tracking, calorie burning charts, and diet food promotions. I’m just happy my kitty won’t be in need of it any more.

Erin • January 18, 2008 at 8:41 am

I’m a relatively new reader of your site, directed here on New Years Eve via your Aunt Lori. It took me just about 2 weeks to read your archives (yes, I read EVERY SINGLE ONE! But don’t tell my employer that!).

Your blog put a lot of things about health and nutrition into perspective into me, and made me start my own research into what will and won’t work for my body.

Happy Anniversary, by the way!

KateG • January 18, 2008 at 9:36 am

Would you mind sharing any diet cat food tips you have? Or even which kind of food Krupke likes? I’m having a hard time finding one that my cat will eat. A couple of times she will be ok with the diet food the first couple of weeks but then will refuse to eat it at all. Which is supposedly very dangerous so the vet then has her go back to regular food. The end result is she has not really lost anything!

PQ – My vet put Krupke on Science Diet R/D. You have to have the vet prescribe it because it’s a “controlled substance.” I have to have a special card to buy it and I can only get it at PetSmart because they have an in-house vet clinic that manages it. I used to buy the food at the vet, but they changed brands and there’s no way I’m going to try to get Krupke to eat something else. My advice is to transition your cat to the new food slowly, mixing it with the old food in larger and larger ratios. I switched Krupke’s food suddenly once and he started vomiting and refused to eat. It was HORRIBLE! For me and for him. Other than that, I don’t have any wise diet cat food tips for you, sorry.

Sarah • January 18, 2008 at 9:46 am

Wow, my cat is NOT underfed by any means (still a kitten so he’s supposed to be gaining weight) and he drives me crazy with his begging for food. I can’t imagine if I had to put him on a diet… he already chews on my ears in my sleep!

Cara • January 18, 2008 at 9:58 am

Since my pup has gained weight (and I want her to lose it so she will live longer) I have always lost some weight as well. Not all because of her, but she does make me more determined to go on all kinds of walks on the weekend :-)

Mymsie • January 18, 2008 at 10:07 am

The same thing happened to my pup. I started moderating her portions and now she’s all slim and fit!

Cathleen • January 18, 2008 at 10:48 am

Wait a minute, Cara. You’re saying you put your dog on a diet/exercise program and you’ve lost weight?

Excellent!!!

Isabelle • January 18, 2008 at 11:18 am

I do like the idea of cat-dishwashers. I have two cats. I wonder if I should just leave the dirty plates on the table…

Funny post, though.

fc • January 18, 2008 at 11:43 am

POST A PICTURE!!!!!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • January 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

To KateG: my cat wouldn’t eat diet food either, so the vet had me gradually cut his regular food back to 1/4 cup of dry twice a day (I’d give him a little more before bed if he was really desperate). He grumpily managed to lose over 10 pounds. He passed away in 2006 (not due to starvation). I now have 2 new cats and I’m determined that they will not have a weight problem. I free fed the first one until he weighed 28.9 pounds, so I won’t do that again. These 2 share 1/2 cup of dry twice a day + 1 3oz can a day. They weigh between 10 & 11 pounds. They have each other plus a 50 lb. dog to play with, so I know that helps too. Playing Thundering Herd of Elephants is their favorite way to exercise.

Riley & Tiki's Mom • January 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Riley & Tiki's Mom • January 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Riley & Tiki's Mom • January 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Riley & Tiki's Mom • January 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Riley & Tiki's Mom • January 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Riley & Tiki's Mom • January 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Riley & Tiki's Mom • January 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Lora Ramirez • January 18, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I have two cats. A Maine coon who weighs 20lbs. and a tabby who weighs about 12lbs. They love their treats and I’m afraid I do spoil them. The Maine coon can and will eat anything. Scraps of food, string, plastic pieces, etc. The tabby is a pickier eater and grunts in delight if he catches a bug. Their absolute favorite treat is S-H-R-I-M-P! Say the word and they could be dead asleep and come running when they hear it! LOL

psychsarah • January 18, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Tee hee-the Pet Fit Challenge. I was watching Discovery Health Channel the other night and they have a new show with a title something like “Help, My Dog is at Fat as Me!” It’s a British reality show, where whichever pair of people and animal loses the least amount of weight each week gets sent home! Crazy!

eva • January 18, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Hmm…I haven’t felt backbones on my cat in a long time…maybe I should take him to the vet…I have him on weight control food, measure it, and don’t give him people food. Maybe Officer Krupke should start a blog! Then my cat could get all kinds of inspiration!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • January 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Stephanie Quilao • January 18, 2008 at 8:28 pm

oh my the image of your cat licking the George Foreman grill just had me on the floor. It reminded me of a cat I once knew who used to love ice cream and we had to be careful of leaving open cartons on the counter lest he stick his head in the Rocky Road.

Donna B • January 18, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Can I borrow your cat to lick my George Foreman grill? I love to use that piece of equipment, just hate to clean it.

PS: Happy Anniversary!

Marshmallow • January 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Bahahhhaaha, “The New, Krupke-o-matic! It’s HAPPY to clean your greasy grills and pans”. I see a money winner.

Zanitta • January 19, 2008 at 2:02 am

This post made me laugh so much, does the officer have any weight loss rewards set up?

Christine in AZ • January 19, 2008 at 5:41 pm

This is unrelated to this entry, but I’m just wondering how it’s going not weighing yourself every day? Do you miss it or was it an easy habit to break? I have hit a plateau at 176 since losing 72lbs, so I too have boycotted the scale and it’s making me nervous..just wondered how it’s going for you? Thanks…Christine

PQ – I’ll make a note to try to write an entry about it next week. I bet other people are interested too.

Sally Parrott Ashbrook • January 19, 2008 at 11:05 pm

My first thought, reading the title, was to wonder if watching West Side Story was inspiring you to lose weight by dancing (or, you know, street-fighting). . . .

Laura Brandon • January 20, 2008 at 3:47 am

my dog gained 4 pounds, and for a 12 pound dog, that’s a lot of weight! but luckily it sounds like she’ll have an easier time of losing it than i’ve been having!

Mighty Minx • January 20, 2008 at 3:43 pm

My cat is apparently a bulimic. He used to be kind of pudgy as he was growing out of kittenhood, but he lost weight over the last year, and now I catch him snarfing his food ration plus the other cat’s mere minutes after I put it out. When I wake up the next morning, there are little Purina-colored blobs of digested cat food all over the kitchen floor.

I sent him to a support group for cats with eating disorders, but he just said all the other cats stared at him judgmentally. Maybe Louis and Officer Krupke should get together and talk sometime about this. Or, you know, sniff each other’s ears and get worked up about imaginary flies or something.

Comrade GoGo • January 20, 2008 at 8:25 pm

I’m with fc: I’d love to see before and after photos of Officer Krupke!

PQ – Sorry guys, but I didn’t take before and after pics. Krupke is camera shy.

jyotsna • January 21, 2008 at 5:16 am

Hi PQ,

Completely unrelated question, but how do you start a blog like this one. How much does it cost?

Ive been reading your blog a while, but have so far been a lurker. Congratulations on your amazing achievement!

PQ – I host this blog myself and the blogging software is free, so I only pay a monthly fee to my web provider. I’m a web developer in real life though, so I know how to set up all this stuff. You can get plans for as cheap as $3 or $4 a month. If you get a lot of traffic though, you’ll have to upgrade to a more expensive plan, but unless you become some sort of insanely popular blogger it’s still very affordable. You can also get free blogs at places like http://www.wordpress.com or http://www.blogger.com. I also have a domain name, which costs me about $10 a year.

Losing 1/3 of Me Guy • January 21, 2008 at 1:06 pm

omg!

Ironic timing you would post this about noticing bones on your cat. I felt my ribs today for the first time in 12 years! Your posts give me and so many others of us great inspiration! Thanks PQ!

sarah j • January 21, 2008 at 2:13 pm

One question….where are HIS progress photos?!?!?

jenni • January 21, 2008 at 9:29 pm

As he loses weight shouldn’t he get a promotion? Maybe he has worked his way up to Seargent Kropke by now – before you know it he could be Captain! It may be motivational for him as well – never hurts to boost the self esteem. (LOVE the name by the way!)

My dear little Apryl (20 years old) passed this summer. I had her on a weight control program – 1/2 cup total – 1/4 in the morning and 1/4 at night. When she finally settled into the routine it was easy. AND I had better not stand her up in the delivery. She was great. I know how hard it is to change the habits-but when you see the shiny coat and the activity level perk up a bit, it’s well worth it.

Knowing what you went through to be the best cat/mom ever… you should be Cheif!

Kathleen • April 27, 2010 at 6:30 pm

i’ve been reading the blog awhile trying to get myself motivated, but one thing i convinced my husband was that a dog to walk would help me. somehow we ended up with a 123lb elkhound who could barely get around the block and desperately needed to lose (he should weigh in at about 60 lbs)…

sometimes i do get jealous of his 33 lb weight loss – it’s so easy whey you don’t have opposable thumbs and people keep the food locked up…but now that we’re walking more, i’m hoping it’s going to start helping me get it into gear…!

@laura – carrots are a great doggie treat! so much better than milk bones; apples are pretty awesome, too and stanley love ‘em!!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada