Come run with me

If anyone out there has been thinking, “I’d really love to pay an organization $50.00 so I can run 13.1 miles in Indianapolis on Saturday, May 3, 2008,” (and I know you have) you’d better hurry up and register for the Indianapolis 500 Mini-Marathon because I hear it’s at 80% capacity. The Mini-Marathon is the largest half-marathon in the US with 35,000 participants and this year one of them is me! And no, I don’t know why they call it a mini-marathon instead of a half-marathon. Somebody must really love alliteration. I’d love to meet any of y’all who are coming and I’m sure we can arrange a meet-up. There is even a pasta dinner the night before which you know I will have to attend since I’m the PastaQueen. There is a 5K run on the same day as the half-marathon if you feel like sleeping in later and keeping the mileage down on your shoes. Sadly, the 5K doesn’t include a lap around the Indianapolis 500 Motorway, which I am looking forward to simply so I can make “Vroom, vroom” noises as I finish that lap and mime with my hand that I’m driving a car. A really, really, slow car.

The half-marathon will be happening right around the time my book is coming out, so it will all be very cute since I lost half my weight, wrote a book called Half-Assed, and will be running a half-marathon. And surely in the weeks before the race I will think this whole idea was half-baked as I am struggling to complete a 10-mile run.

Even without all that, I am really looking forward to training for this race, simply to see what my new body can do. I find it’s important to keep challenging myself and the mini-marathon is my next big challenge. Let’s hope my Achilles tendon will cooperate!

MB • November 15, 2007 at 10:03 am

I wish I lived nearby so I could be there to cheer you on. I’m not even close to being able to run an 1/8 of a marathon so a 1/2 marathon is out of the question but I’m working on that. I’ll be cheering from here. I hope you get a prominent seat at the pasta dinner – you are the PastaQueen after all and they should all hail the Queen. Good luck with the training.

Nina • November 15, 2007 at 10:26 am

Good luck! Maybe try soaking your legs in warm water the night before? That’ll relax your muscles and make them more supple for a loooooong day of running!

Zandile • November 15, 2007 at 10:37 am

You are such an inspiration to me! I just finished my second 5K, got my third in 2 days and I’m setting my sights on an 8K in January so at that rate I don’t think I’ll be quite ready for a half. But for the first time ever I’m thinking I might be ready for such craziness in the relatively foreseeable future so I can’t wait to read about your experience! In honor of you I’ll try and work up to 10 miles by then…..OH, and BTW, CONGRATS on hitting that 200 lb mark, even if it turns out to be a temporary sick dip, it shows how close you really really are.

laney b • November 15, 2007 at 10:46 am

Good Luck. I ran a half marathon after training for only 2 1/2 months and having never run before. It took me 2 1/2 hours, but still I did it. 2 1/2 months after that, I did a full marathon. It took me more than twice as long. I think that the fact that you are starting out a runner means that you’ll be able to find that your mileage increases are relatively painless. I have a few pieces of advice:

#1. Vasoline smeared all over your feet helps prevent blisters.

#2. Keep those toenails cut short or risk losing them.

#3. One of the nicest things that you can do for yourself after each training run is run your legs and feet under cold water before your shower.

#4. Everyone thinks that bananas are the way to go for potassium, but an avocado has twice the amount of potassium as a banana and in my opinion, chips and guacamole is a much tastier after-run food.

Congratulations and good luck!

Cindy • November 15, 2007 at 10:46 am

I must admit that I’ve never had an urge to see the midwest—I am an east coast girl, born and bred, and I hope to die here, too, so running a half marathon (which would certainly kill me!) in Indiana is out of the question (if tempting).

Have fun, though!

Debbi • November 15, 2007 at 11:06 am

It’s insane to run two half-marathons back-to-back. Maybe some people could do it, but I’m not one of them. And since I’m running Country Music again in Nashville, I’m going to have to virtually cheer for you, and hope to meet you when you’re on your book tour.

Unless I go crazy before then and decide to run two half-marathons back-to-back. Heh.

JEM • November 15, 2007 at 11:20 am

I’m still debating on whether or not to sign up for a 5k down here in FL. It is in May…I have made various attempts to train before and they have not worked out…we’ll see.

Have fun training! Hopefully I can learn from your experiences!

Elizabeth • November 15, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Woo hoo! I’m so excited for you.

And thanks for reminding me to get off my ass and look for a half marathon around here.

What day do you start training?

Heather • November 15, 2007 at 12:36 pm

PQ! I’m going to start training for a 1/2 marathon in May too! It will probably be the 11th. My running class made it to 10km last week. Finding it really hard, but rewarding to know after having never ran before, I can actually do this! We shall cheer each other on. Keep us up to date on your progress with training please. Do you have a training plan?

PQ – I don’t have a training plan yet, but I’ll be sure to figure that out in the next month. I know I need to start training at least 3 months before, so I’ll definitely find something by then.

Lorraine • November 15, 2007 at 1:19 pm

I never could run good as a skinny kid. The other nite my 10 year old kid won me in a little race. My legs felt weird for 3 days. I’m envious of you. My goal after weight maintance in stop biting my nails and join a gym and start to do more exercise. I lost 50 1bs so I need a new focus. I walk 3 to 7 times a week about 40 mins but I need more.

Holly • November 15, 2007 at 1:23 pm

half, half, half,= half baked…you are hilarious, and not halfway either!

Mia • November 15, 2007 at 2:17 pm

I wish my school schedule were more flexible! I’d love to go! I’ll be there in spirit, though. I’m planning on running my own mini in Houston or Austin (probably Austin). Let’s compare notes (and photos!).

Heather • November 15, 2007 at 2:29 pm

You’ll be surprised at what you can do with race day endorphins.

Amy • November 15, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Good luck with those extra few miles, I’m sure you’ll rock it out.

dietgirl • November 15, 2007 at 4:57 pm

woohoooo nothing like a mega challenge. ain’t nothing mini about that :)

Kyle • November 15, 2007 at 5:24 pm

Sounds awesome!

Are you doing this half marathon in hopes of someday doing a full marathon?

PQ – Ha! No, a half is good enough for me.

Dave • November 15, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Are you running in the Training Series? It’s a part of the Mini (you have to buy the package – it’s an extra $33 or so but worth it). It’s a great way to gauge your training efforts. There’s a 5k in February, a 10k in March and a 15k in April. The runs start and end at the Indiana State Museum. If you are looking for a training program that meets weekly, IndyRunners.org has a training program as well as Ken Long’s Bricks to Bricks (kenlongassoc.com). My wife and son have done the Baxter Y’s training program (south side Indy) with success. Good luck. The Mini is an awesome experience.

Isabelle • November 15, 2007 at 6:07 pm

It was so interesting to see you and hear your voice. I don’t often comment but do quite often read and always enjoy your writing. Looking forward to the book. What an achievements – well, two: the half of you bit and the book bit. Well done indeed. And a half marathon too. Wow.

AKS • November 15, 2007 at 10:54 pm

Wow, that’s a pretty cheap half marathon.

lovelines • November 16, 2007 at 8:01 am

Aww, that is very cute. Good luck on the half marathon training. I’m sure you’ll do it with aplomb.

KateG • November 16, 2007 at 9:25 am

I couldn’t make the trip out to Indy (though that lap around the track sounds so cool, I’d be tempted!). You will do great with your training. I’m training for a half in January and just saying that is so empowering. The training itself, even more so. You will rock it, and probably even enjoy it, aside from any aches and pains.

marygrace • November 16, 2007 at 9:55 am

over the summer i signed up to run the philadelphia half-marathon, and ended up deciding that the race wasn’t for me. i sort of wanted to prove to myself that i could do a long run like that, but after making it to 10 and 11 mile runs recently, i realized that if i felt like it, i could train myself to run as many miles as i wanted, but i didn’t FEEL like going out to run that much, so i decided to go back to shorter, more enjoyable runs.

additionally, i had the idea that i would lose a few extra pounds from training for the race, but i actually ended up gaining a little bit of weight. i guess i rationalized being able to eat whatever i wanted with the fact that i was doing one or two really long runs per week. but even the long runs didn’t balance out the calorie intake.

Heather • November 16, 2007 at 10:13 am

What a great accomplishment that will be!

I don’t pay $50 for anything shorter than a full marathon or a full century (100 mile bike) — it’s price gouging. :D If you’re ever in the Atlanta area I can recommend some great (cheaper) races though!

spacedcowgirl • November 16, 2007 at 11:57 am

Wow, I had no idea it finished with a lap around the IMS. If I still lived in Indiana I would be SO THERE. Actually I may still need to consider it… I developed a taste for all things Indy 500 when I lived there, and I could combine it with a visit to some of my friends. I have never had the desire to train for anything longer than a 10K (my usual run right now is 4 miles with a total of 1 mile of walking split before and after) but this might be good enough incentive.

Hmm. Will my indecisive self be able to come to a decision before the race is at capacity? Sadly, probably not.

Laura • November 16, 2007 at 1:52 pm

PQ, I am registered and am running this race! So I am totally going to hold you to a meet up. Not sure if I’ll do the pasta dinner or not, but we’ll have to email or I’ll watch out for info on your blog if there are other fans who want to meet you at the race.

I am hoping to run 11 min miles–I think you ran the same pace as I did on your 5k (which, I think, we ran on the same weekend–Sept. 16th was my first race). So if you are running a similar pace to me still, then maybe we’ll even see each other and could run part of the race together. How cool that would be for me!

liz • November 17, 2007 at 12:27 pm

If you are having problems with your achilles tendon, you should try wearing knee-high compression stockings. They are pricey, $45-ish a pair. This was an entirely accidental discovery for me and has not been recommended by a doctor.

Two years ago, I got bad achilles tendonitis while training for an event. I soldiered through although it was painful and it still bothers me. I unfortunately ended up with a large blood clot in my leg this summer and am now wearing compression stocking every day for the next two years to prevent complications. I do a lot of walking on the treadmill to try and restore some circulation where the clot is and I am amazed at how much better my achilles tendon feels.

No, they are not attractive but they really help. I wear the 20-30 mm/hg. You don’t need a prescription for that strength and they also aid in your endurance.

barbara • November 18, 2007 at 8:44 pm

PQ,

I just ran across this excellent article about training for a women’s half-marathon. It’s at http://www.nyrr.org/races/2008/more/training.asp, which is part of the New York Road Runners Club website, and the article was posted in preparation for the More Magazine Half Marathon in 2008. Hope this is useful; it’s an 18 week program.

adrienne • November 19, 2007 at 12:07 pm

Hey fellow PQ fans-

Oprah is looking for weight loss success stories, so it was a no-brainer to submit PQ.

If anyone else wants to make a suggestion- this is the link:

Kristi • November 19, 2007 at 11:42 pm

I signed up about a month ago. And haven’t run a step for about 2 years. I just had lap-band surgery last month so I can’t jump into the running just yet. I plan on stepping up my walking mileage at the begining of the year and start running training mid-February. I’m following Jeff Galloway’s half marathon training schedule. Good Luck.

Kristi • November 19, 2007 at 11:49 pm

P.S. I’d totally be up for meeting you. We have to pick up our race packets the day before so I’ll be staying somewhere around Indy on Friday night. (I live about 2 hours away) I’m participate in a yahoo group of Indiana runner and their are about 4-5 us running it. I’m going from running nothing to doing a half marathon…..THAT IS HALF-BAKED.

Terry Marquez • April 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Hello there! Congratulations on the mini marathon. If I lived closer, I might take you up on the run. Just wanted to say that I started reading your book as it was our book club choice for the month, Book Gabbers, here in Southern Pines, NC. I could not put it down. I’ve never been obese but I once gained 60 pounds while pregnant with twins and I’ve lost 15 pounds in the past year. However, your book was absolutely fascinating and I loved every minute of it. It is so witty, charming, intelligent, and so much more. Our book club is meeting this week and I can’t wait to talk about it. If you ever decide you need a vacation in the warm climes of NC, please let us know as we would love to host you. Also, I’m considering advertising my business on your website. I sell a product that tightens skin and helps to regrow collagen and elastin. I’m checking out your rates and hope to get my website up and running soon. Keep writing. You were born to write and I hope to read many of your future books. All the best to you. Hope your headaches lessen soon.

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine