No, not that kind of marathon

The only marathons I have been a part of involve 12 episodes of Law & Order aired back to back and the loss of sensation in my buttocks. Another type of marathon is being covered tonight on PBS and it doesn’t involve a dozen hours of Sam Waterston. Tonight’s episode of NOVA is called the Marathon Challenge and follows 13 novice runners as they train to run the Boston marathon. I’m really looking forward to watching this because…I signed up to run a half marathon! Woo-hoo! Me and the Indianapolis 500 Mini-Marathon on May 3, 2008, baby! I’ve lost half my weight, I wrote a book called Half-Assed: A Weight-Loss Memoir and now I’m going to run a half-marathon. I hope to learn a lot from this show and I hope no one gets horribly injured or collapses in a pool of vomit because that registration fee is non-refundable. Check your listings for time and station.

chosha • October 30, 2007 at 7:32 am

That’s cool you’ve signed up for the half marathon. You’ll probably get some good tips from watching the show, too.

Kyle • October 30, 2007 at 10:16 am

I can’t wait to read about your running/training experiences with the half marathon. Obviously we don’t get PBS down in Chile but that’s ok…that’s what the internet is for.

I want to run a marathon. My goal is to do it before we leave this country in two years. Right now I run 30 minutes a day. Woohoo! I’m only 4 hours short. Hey, everybody has to start somewhere, right?

PQ – They sometimes put NOVA episodes online after the show, so maybe you can watch it on your computer later.

MB • October 30, 2007 at 11:08 am

I hope you find the NOVA special informative for your 1/2 marathon training. Maybe next year you can run in Boston :)

You can’t run anywhere in Boston today because there are Red Sox fans lining the streets in anticipation of the parade to celebrate the new World Champion Boston Red Sox.

They are serving hot dogs and peanuts in my office today. Good thing I don’t like them or I would be off my diet (again).

Good luck with the marathon training. We’ll all be cheering for you!

Laura • October 30, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Yay! I’ll be right there with ya, baby! I’m running it too. I look forward to reading about your training in the upcoming months.

the former veggie paparazzo • October 30, 2007 at 12:47 pm

A half-marathon is hard-core! Congrats on being ready to take on a challenge like that.

Zandile • October 30, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Awesome! I’m totally taking advantage of the fact that you are a few steps ahead of me on this journey, maybe I’ll stumble a few steps fewer having the benefit of your story! Have you run a 10K yet? I was thinking that would be my next goal, perhaps in the spring sometime. Thanks for the comment on my blog btw!

Mia • October 30, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Thanks for the reminder! Hmmmm. Maybe I should think about entering a half first. Good idea. :)

Chris • October 30, 2007 at 2:42 pm

Congrats on signing up for the half-marathon! I can’t wait to hear how training goes, since I’m that path myself (just a bit further back).

And thanks for the reminder about NOVA…as weird as this is going to sound, I knew there was an episode of NOVA I wanted to watch this fall, but I couldn’t remember when it was or what it was about. Turns out this was it!

K • October 30, 2007 at 5:45 pm

That’s amazing – good for you!

Though I have done several 5Ks, I have always been too wimpy to sign up for a 10K… but I really should, because signing up for things and paying over actual non-refundable money is a great way to make yourself actually do them.

Meanwhile I’ll be waiting to hear how you’re doing!

Shannon • October 30, 2007 at 8:22 pm

I signed up for the mini as well! You, me and 13,498 will have a great time. Hopefully I will be super fast by then. I did my first half a few weeks ago in Lawrence, and it gave me a great sense of accomplishment. I’m addicted now and am doing another one this weekend.

Emily • October 30, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Congrats on taking that step! I watched the special, since you mentioned it. Interesting…..it was quite motivating in a “if they can do it, so can I” kind of way.

tryinghard • October 31, 2007 at 4:00 am

You’re funny as hell, anyway congrats on signing up for the Indianapolis 500 Mini-Marathon. You are incredibility inspirational. I won’t be running any half anythings or mini nothings but I’ll cheer for you!

Heather • October 31, 2007 at 8:54 am

bwahaha– I love seeing running hooking you. It wasn’t that far back you would have thought no way to you running 13.1 miles. Have fun! Half marathons are my favorite distance.

Liz in Ohio • October 31, 2007 at 9:22 am

OOOOHHHHH how I LOVE Law and Order marathons!!!

WTG on the Indy 500 mini marathon. I know you’ll do well.

I have to tell you (and the other few thousand who read daily) how much I enjoy reading your blog. I have struggled with my weight since I’ve been a teen (I will be 40 in December…GASP!!) and still struggle. The only time I lost a great ammount of weight was when I was diagnosed a few years ago with cancer. Even though I looked good after losing those 45 lbs, I don’t advise anyone to lose weight this way ;-) (BTW, I’m clean now and have been for about 3 years).

Thank you for putting a spark in my day! I appreciate you!

CurvyJones • October 31, 2007 at 11:29 am

I watched this last night! That guy with the blister on his foot… :cry:

v'ron • October 31, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Woo. A QUARTER marathon is hard core. Still, this will be cool.

If it’s called the Indy 500 — is it at the motor track? That would be kind of a rush, but then I’m a race fan.

Just for kicks, last time I went to Indy for the F1 race, I attempted running the infield, which *maybe* turns out to be about 2 miles given how much is closed off for the F1 circuit. There’s something about running at that place that automatically inserts “racer” attitude, and that’s a good thing.

PQ – The route does include a lap around the Indy 500 Speedway, we just don’t get our own pit crew to change our tires. It’s part of the festival leading up to the big race.

E • October 31, 2007 at 10:58 pm

I’ve been a lurker for so long I just wanted to come out of the shadows and comment on how much I am looking forward to hearing of your half-marathon training. You will have to share your tips and suggestions with the rest of us! I’ve thought about training for something similar but can barely run a mile. Maybe your blog will inspire me to do the same.

Dave • November 7, 2007 at 5:06 pm

I signed up for the ’08 Indianapolis Mini Marathon as well. My goal is to lose the 30# of extra weight I now have by May 3.