Weighing in on July

I don’t think the Internet hates me enough. I was sitting around last night thinking, “Hmmm, what can I do to get the Internet to hate me?” I could go to Chicago and eat deep-dish pizza, a cannoli with filling as sweet as frosting, chocolate-chip cheesescake, some apple crisp, a delicious lobster bisque, a million tasty hors d’oeuvres and I think there was a cherry cobbler and a cookie in there too. Then I could wash it down with some rum and coke (not diet!) and a pina colada and go home and weigh myself and discover I have lost a pound. I’m pretty sure that will make the Internet hate me. Do you hate me yet?

This weight loss business never ceases to confuse me. Sure, I did go on a 7-mile bicycle trip. And I walked a mile from the hostel to Union Station dragging my 40 pound suitcase behind me because I couldn’t find the right bus stop. And I walked another mile or two when circling in on the W hotel (which is not the Westin, as the desk clerk was happy to tell us). But really, I should have gained weight and it feels rather ridiculous that I didn’t. I’ve heard theories that if you’ve been losing weight by slightly lowering your calorie intake and then you go pig out it signals your body that food is plentiful and that it’s okay to let go of some of your fat. Highly adaptable, the body is. Maybe I’ll gain it back later in the week, but as of today the scale read 174.8.

So that means I’m down another 3 pounds for July. This month was spent mostly just doing weights, Pilates, and some biking since I was laying off my injured leg. I didn’t have any problems in my many treks around the Windy City though, so I’m going to start easing back into my running program. Hopefully I’ll be in good enough shape to run my first 5K in the fall! Woo-hoo, free t-shirt!

I went to my second tennis lesson Monday night, even though I was completely exhausted from traveling. But there was no way I was going to waste my registration fee. I came back feeling unexpectedly refreshed. I am by far the worst tennis player in our class. It is somewhat comical. Everyone else is trying to adjust the angle of their rackets to hit the ball where they want to whereas I do a little victory dance every time I just hit the ball and don’t swat at carbon dioxide molecules. Evidently, like piano lessons, I’m supposed to be practicing in between my professional lessons. No one told me that when I signed up. I might have to actually buy a racket and some tennis balls so I do not fall so far behind my classmates that no one wants to rally with me. I don’t have to be the best, but it’d be nice if no one sighs exasperatingly when they’re paired with me. It’s funny, but I don’t even care that I suck at tennis. I’m just happy to be bouncing around the court without collapsing. I don’t think it’s something I’m going to pick up after my lessons are over though. I’m eyeballing martial arts next, or maybe salsa dancing. I’ll let you know.

Olivia • August 1, 2007 at 8:47 am

Congratulations on your monthly weight loss. Recently, I went on a vaction and after THREE weeks of eating as I pleased (lots of heavy Mexican, regular soda and beer) and no exercise I maintained my weight. The following week I lost a pound.

Lesley • August 1, 2007 at 8:50 am

Nope – don’t hate you – envy you with a deep undying passion that you ate all those lovely scrummy treats and still lost weight but certainly don’t hate you. There’s no rhyme nor reason to it is there? Take the smooth (and by smoooooth – I mean pizzas etc etc) with the rough (those inexplicable weeks where all the exercise in the world causes a slight increase on the scales).

Karma baby…

Lesley x

jodi • August 1, 2007 at 9:35 am

i’ve read about more than one blogger having a huge binge and losing on their next weigh-in but for me, it never works… you are one of the lucky ones and though i don’t hate you, i am a tad jealous… ;o)

Marla • August 1, 2007 at 10:04 am

I think there is definitely something to that theory. Bodybuilders and other fitness people do it; it’s supposed to rev up the metabolism. I don’t hate you at all! I’m JEALOUS, but not hateful. Really I’m glad SOMEone is losing weight, even if it’s not me. Glad you had such a wonderful time in Chicago.

dg • August 1, 2007 at 10:25 am

oOoooh SALSA! That sounds fun. And you’d have to wear dresses and slinky shoes, so more excuse for foxy new clothes *g*

And that’s a great result for July. Rock on :)

Kala • August 1, 2007 at 11:45 am

ok..that does it..I hate you. :)

psychsarah • August 1, 2007 at 12:11 pm

I admit it, I kind of want to hate you, but I just can’t! You’re too honest, sweet, smart and insightful to hate you! Plus, you’ve obviously struggled with weight for a long time-you deserve a break! As long as you don’t become one of those annoying skinny people who says “I can eat whatever I want and not gain a pound!” Then I might not be able to fight the temptation to hate you! Glad to hear you had a good time and your body didn’t make you pay for it!!

Sarah • August 1, 2007 at 12:36 pm

I practiced martial arts for years and loved it! I took Tang Soo Do (a form of Korean karate) and it was the best exercise of my life. It’s good for cardio and building muscles, and there are usually plenty of cute boys to spar with. Not to mention how bad ass you feel when you break your first brick.

spacedcowgirl • August 1, 2007 at 12:53 pm

I agree with the other posters, I don’t think this is just a coincidence. I think “shaking things up” by eating a lot after eating a little for a while confuses your metabolism enough to release some weight. (It seems like there is some scientific evidence for that out there somewhere, but my version as articulated here is totally unscientific. :)

Marianne • August 1, 2007 at 1:53 pm

No hate here, either. I’ve had the same thing happen – one weekend of big eating, and then a loss. I don’t get it, I guess it’s just yet another mystery of the body.

Jenny • August 1, 2007 at 2:19 pm

No, I don’t’ hate you, I’m cheering you. And I’m cheering your body for having muscle to continue burning calories while you were traveling. And I’m cheering you for walking while on your trip. And I’m cheering you for getting right back into it when you returned.

See? No hate from the Internet. Only cheers.

tanya • August 1, 2007 at 2:43 pm

I’m taking Tae Kwon Do now and love it. It’s not as intense as regular working out, but I say any activity is better than none.

tanya • August 1, 2007 at 2:45 pm

I think the last comment got jacked – so I said, I’m taking Tae Kwon Do now and totally love it. It’s not as intense as regular exercise, but it still leaves me sweating after an hour and then I can’t wait till the next week.

anji • August 1, 2007 at 3:55 pm

hey! you should try belly dancing, I bet you would really enjoy it :D

Catherine • August 1, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Interesting — I think it could also be (and I’m sorry if someone has already pointed this out) that your more muscular body is better at burning calories than an overly fat body is. Even resting, a more musclular body is burning fat or calories. I guess I picked that up somewhere. And I see sometimes what you have seen, when I’ve been losing weight and exercising, that when I do slip up and eat more than I should, my body can give me a “pass” (limited) on that, and I don’t gain anything. The exercising part is key, obviously.

The comment about practicing between tennis lessons being like piano lessons made me laugh out loud. You are funny!

Kimberly • August 1, 2007 at 7:02 pm

You’re too loveable for us to hate you. =)

There’s also the fact that now that you’re a lean mean, healthy machine, your body is functioning more efficiently. Could be that.

Or it could be luck. Yeah. Luck. =P

annie b • August 1, 2007 at 7:13 pm

No, I don’t hate you. I’m just insanely jealous. I can’t seem to leave town for a few days without gaining 5 lbs. But oh well, I’m adapting your wisdom of not panicking unless I gain more than 5 lbs (per 3 days of absence). Too bad you aren’t liking tennis. Btw, I’ve taken inspiration from your love of your arms to improve mine (which should also help my tennis). Salsa is a lot of fun especially if you like the music. Great photos btw, your collarbones are awesome.

ann • August 1, 2007 at 7:28 pm

This blog just blows me away – from 372 pounds to tennis. Amazing. And congrats on your weight loss!

susan • August 2, 2007 at 4:14 am

Welcome back PQ! Glad you had fun in Chicago. It’s one of my favorite places to visit.

It could be the weight loss is because when you travel like that, you’re busy ALL the time. Very little down time like when you are in your routine at home. Instead of relaxing in the evening, your out visiting, mingling, moving around etc. Your body is working constantly (and more efficiently now because of the awesome weight loss and exercise routines).

Have you tried raquetball? I find it’s better than tennis as a racket sport and even if you and your partner are terrible, you still get a terrific workout. Plus it’s fun!

Keep up the good work!

BrightAngel • August 2, 2007 at 10:28 am

I’m even MORE happy for you now that you’ve weighed in with a loss.

Although there are natural physical laws that govern the body, it isn’t a mechanical device, and one doesn’t get the same immediate results for the same behavior EVERY time.

I’ve discovered that the timing of RESULTS (scale & measurement) doesn’t necessarily match the timig of EFFORTS (calorie input and evercise).

This is why I’m ALWAYS telling people:

“I’m responsibe for my EFFORTS, but not for my RESULTS.”

Jenn • August 2, 2007 at 11:19 am

Yes I hatechoo!! Ok kidding. Hubby and I went and weighed ourselves yesterday at the doctor’s (we dont have one of them newfangled weighing machine things). Husband lost 80lbs in the last 10 mths just from dieting. I lost only 8lbs from two mths of jazzercising.

Grrrrr!!

Men suck! It’s been proven that they can lose weight faster than women. I hear the men at Weight Watcher’s meetings are usually hated because they lose weight so fast while the women have to struggle for every pound. And looky, I stole your idea of replying in comments! I love it! – PQ

melsky • August 2, 2007 at 12:42 pm

I have read that diet/exercise plans that give you a “free day” where you can eat anything you want do this partially so that your body realizes there’s plenty of food around and it doesn’t need to hold on to the fat. Body for Life is the main one I have been reading about like this.

K • August 2, 2007 at 7:13 pm

Nope, don’t hate you.

I mean, very little short of starvation would possess me to eat lobster. So if lobster is the Sekrit of Weightloss…

Chocolate-chip cheesecake, though. I could get behind that.

Yes, men are annoying like that, I totally agree…

Julia • August 3, 2007 at 3:31 am

The lost weight during the trip is most likely from your faster metabolism while you were running around Blogher. Whenever I travel that happens to me too. I remember going to New York last year and almost being annoyed at how I was hungry all the time and had to keep finding stuff to eat! Yep, people with fast metabolisms may not have weight problems, OTOH can you imagine walking around having to eat ALL the time? Congrats on July weight loss :-)

Daniel • August 3, 2007 at 8:30 am

Salsa dancing ig good. Try swing and jive for a real workout!

Mymsie • August 3, 2007 at 11:47 am

Salsa nights at the Jazz Kitchen are fun and they usually offer a lesson beforehand. I haven’t been in awhile but always enjoyed it in the past.

sandy • August 3, 2007 at 11:58 am

definitely don’t hate you. i’ve been trying to lose just 15 lbs. for a few years now and haven’t been able to stick to any sort of routine! discipline you must teach me, yoda.

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada