I’m not Irish, but I’m running anyway

I have signed up for my first 5K and there will be bagpipes. And maybe kilts. There will definitely be beer. I speak of the Indy Irish Festival and its 5K Run/Walk (I have chosen to run). I will not be running in a kilt myself, but several people will be two days later in the Kilted Mile race which will give out awards for Bonniest Knees, Hairiest Legs, and Least Likely to Finish. I don’t think I could win any of those categories, not since I shaved my legs for my brother’s wedding, so I’m sticking to the 5K even though I doubt I will win anything in that either, but damn it I will finish!

I have never run in a 5K race. I’d planned on signing up for one this summer since it seems to be the thing to do when you have lost lots of weight and want to prove your newfound athletic abilities to the world. It seemed a lot less demanding than a half-marathon or triathlon too and didn’t require me to learn how to swim. However, my leg injury waylaid those plans. I’ve been running two miles in the morning the past two weeks without grabbing my thigh in pain, so I think I can get up to 3.1 miles by race day, September 14th. I decided on the Irish Festival race because along with my registration fee I get a ticket to the festival the next day, so I get more bang for my buck than if I was just running to cure multiple sclerosis or ass cancer or something good for humanity like that. This race lets me see sheep herding exhibitions! I even ponied up the extra $4.00 for a t-shirt because if I’m going to run I’m going to get my damn t-shirt. And it’s at night, so I don’t even have to get up early.

The race also gives me something to work towards. The past several days I’ve been weighing in at around 178, which is about 3-4 pounds more than I was weighing-in before Chicago pizza parties and wedding cheesecake carnivals. That’s a lot better than I thought I’d do and there was a lot of fun in those 3-4 pounds. I don’t regret them. There’s part of me that says, “Oh, don’t worry! It’s just a little weight. You’ll be fine.” And that’s true, as long as I rededicate myself to losing weight. Because I have seen people say that three to four pounds is fine and then it becomes five to ten pounds, and then it’s fifteen to twenty pounds, and then oh my God they’ve regained all the weight. So yes, three to four pounds is fine, but ten pounds is definitely not fine. And there’s no way in hell I’m going to let myself weigh over 200 pounds again, unless I’m knocked up or become a competitive bodybuilder. I’d really love to get down to 172 by my birthday in two months so I can finally say I’ve lost 200 pounds without having to stick an “almost” in front of that number. So, back to the trail for me and onwards to the 5K race with tartan and clan tents and bagpipes. Bagpipes!

AKS • August 17, 2007 at 10:10 am

Is this your first “race” ever? You are going to have so much fun! It’s an interesting experience to run with a huge group of people.

Yep, it’s my first race ever, other than the Turkey Trot I ran in elementary school during Thanksgiving. I think it is stated in the former-fat-girl bylaws that you have to run a 5K or else they make you gain back all the weight. – PQ

KCRANCH • August 17, 2007 at 10:11 am

Losing “almost” 200 lbs is. Simply. AMAZING.

WOW.

You have every right to show off in a 5K. Something I am hoping for when I lose my 100 lbs.

I am cheering you on. Also, I get you wanting to lose the “almost”, but really you have already done it – you have changed your entire life. FOREVER.

Congrats.

-K

Kate H • August 17, 2007 at 10:13 am

“ass cancer” LMAO

jeri • August 17, 2007 at 10:28 am

You go girl……You are my inspiration—have lost 29 lbs. since Jan. I feel it has been harder for me this time–I’m 51young years . I show your site to everybody–you are so strong and I’m so proud of you.

I know that you’ll finish that 5k and that you’ll feel really great.

Jk

Marianne • August 17, 2007 at 10:49 am

PQ, rock right on!

I walked my first 5K race with a girlfriend on St Patty’s Day this year, a fundraiser to send med students at my school on rural internships; we finished first of all the walkers. One of my goals is to go back and *run* it in 2008; I don’t care how I fall in the rankings, so long as I FINISH!

Candy • August 17, 2007 at 10:57 am

Good Luck PQ!!!! You’ll do just fine! I ran my first 5k back in July. I’m officially hooked. My next one is on 10/29. I had set a goal for the first one of 40-45 minutes since I was a total newb to running. I finished in 35:02!

So go for it PQ! You can TOTALLY do it!!

Mymsie • August 17, 2007 at 11:12 am

Hey – that’s great! The Irish Fest is the best. I’ve volunteered for it for a few years now and always have a ball. Good luck!

jodi • August 17, 2007 at 12:09 pm

congrats on signing-up for the 5K, you will get so much out it… and if you’re already running 2 miles, another 1.1 is nothing! :o)

Kate • August 17, 2007 at 12:29 pm

Good luck at the race! Very exciting!

You probably already know this but – one thing I learned from my first 5K a few years ago was that when it starts you’ll be very excited and very tempted to sprint (along with everyone else who is feeling the same way) — if you can help it at all try to curb that impulse a bit or the end of the race will be rather on the painful side… but you’re in such great shape no matter how you run it it’s going to be fun, I bet.

Carm • August 17, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Best of luck to you in the race. That’s so exciting! I’m rooting for you.

Mia • August 17, 2007 at 1:42 pm

Good for you! The race sounds like a lot of fun!

vivi • August 17, 2007 at 2:29 pm

well!! good luck! From my usual mediterranean point of view… could you tell me which distance is it (in meters, pleaaaase)? Have a lot of fun!!!!!! :D

john • August 17, 2007 at 2:43 pm

I ran in a 10k way back in my thin days – your weight loss and this race are inspiring me to give it another go some day.

200 pounds. WOW.

Jenny • August 17, 2007 at 3:17 pm

I’d love to do a run, but my knees have told me they won’t go, so I’m stuck with jump roping.

“ass cancer” – that made me snort coffee and it’s not pretty.

:-)

Debbie • August 17, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Good luck with your 5K. I don’t think you’re going back over 200 – not once you get used to feeling good from exercise.

JEM • August 17, 2007 at 3:42 pm

My hubby and I are irish….men in kilts….bagpipes, beer…sounds like our wedding! :-)

K • August 17, 2007 at 4:21 pm

The race sounds great, but I am confused about the Irish / kilts and bagpipes connection. I thought it was us lot that had to suffer those? Don’t the Irish have philabegs and bodhrans or something?

We’re Americans. We assume all British people are the same :) – PQ

Debbi • August 17, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Take it from someone who didn’t pay attention to the 3 to 4 pounds. It can quickly turn into more. And then More.

I’m so glad you can run again! Have fun at the race.

Chris H • August 17, 2007 at 5:13 pm

Have fun, I still have no desire to run, lost weight nor not.

Tom • August 17, 2007 at 6:36 pm

You have an inspiring story and we’re excited for you race. Kate’s comment above is good advice. We’ll be following your progress for your great achievement. Keep up the good work!

Tom

LM • August 17, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Wow…I don’t think I’ve ever heard an American say “I’m not Irish but” before. I thought everyone in this entire country was Irish…at least a little bit. Are you sure? Astounding!

Rosanah • August 17, 2007 at 8:26 pm

You are such an inspiration to me. I have now lost 37 pounds and have 90 more to go. I am taking it 5 pounds at a time. I too recently gained a few pounds and everyone was saying it is just a few pounds. But they do add up and multiply. Good luck in your 5K. I hope to run one next summer.

The Pound Slayer • August 17, 2007 at 10:18 pm

You’re such an inspiration! Best of luck dropping the “almost”, not that you need it :)

jen • August 18, 2007 at 9:33 am

I tried to talk my husband into entering the Kilted Mile to try for the Hairiest Legs prize. But I think as a blond, he’s at a natural disadvantage.

sandy • August 18, 2007 at 11:31 pm

dude – you have to make friends with a recent addition to the weightloss blog community – chubby chick. http://gottalose200pounds.blogspot.com

she’s you at day 3 of the long road.

sinead • August 20, 2007 at 6:53 am

Best of luck ! My only wee comment would be as an Irish person (off the boat Irish as in my arms still tired from rowing) – kilts and bagpipes are Scottish – who are our fair cousins but not Irish. They are part of Britain, same as Welsh and English. Irish people are not British PQ :-) I dont know why St Paddys day parades here have kilts and bagpipes in their marching bands for Irish bands – theres none of that in Ireland. Just a wee education on whats really Irish and not. We dont eat corn beef and cabbage either on St Paddys day and we do go to pubs, a lot..

Branroo74 • August 20, 2007 at 12:23 pm

I lost 50 pounds and ran in the Shamrock Walk/Run this past St. Patrick’s Day. It was great. I felt great after it was all finished.

Be careful with the beer after the run, I got a little tipsy.

Yolanda • August 23, 2007 at 2:35 am

I’m sure it’ll be exciting with all the competitors and the unique awards. Good luck on your 5k run.

Pat • August 23, 2007 at 10:09 pm

I admire your dedication for losing almost 200 pounds. I hope you will be successful in your goal for completing that 200.

Site Meter