Weighing in on June

I could break out my calculator and the fancy charts and formulas to prove it, but I think I’m down about four pounds since the end of May. It’s harder to tell these days since my weight tends to modulate up and down like an FM radio frequency. That loss averages out to a pound a week, which is a lot higher than I thought I was pulling. I read some of my ancient entries where I complain about losing only two pounds a week and wonder why none of you drove through miles of cornfields just to knock on my door and then knock my lights out. I’m grateful for every ounce now. A pound a week is also a pretty good rate considering I went out drinking for a bachelorette party. I had to forcibly restrain my mind from trying to calculate how many calories were in all the alcohol. Being tipsy helps with the “not thinking” part. That kind of information, like your parents sex life, is something you just don’t want to know.

My love affair with my arm muscles continues. I can do ten reps of the bicep curl with 10 pound weights without dropping them on my pinkie toe. Grrrr! I strong. Just don’t ask me to help you move. My new muscle mass has also changed my shopping strategies. Last year when I had to buy a dress for a wedding, I was wondering where all the sleeves were. This month I started searching thrift stores for a gown for my brother’s August wedding and I automatically rejected any dress that had even a cap sleeve. Spaghetti straps all the way for me! I’ve got collarbones and arm muscles now and everyone is going to get a good look, underarm flab be damned. And yes, I promise to post pictures. I’ve been watching the first season of Alias this week and I have much more appreciation for the awesomeness of Jennifer Garner’s arms and all the work she must have put into them. No wonder the wardrobe department puts her in sleeveless tops so often. If I had arms like that I’d take scissors to all my sleeves.

I’m still taking it easy on my leg that had been hurting. I know some of you will say I should go to a doctor, but it only starts to hurt after I’ve run about two miles and only slightly. And I have crap insurance. Unless I start limping, I’m just going to give it time to heal on its own. So I haven’t been running, just walking and, wow, I forgot how incredibly boring walking can be. I used to do this for 50 minutes a day? How did I ever manage that? I listen to music and podcasts, but I still miss the thrill of running, my heart-beating fast, getting all sweaty and red in the face. I will think happy thoughts and hopefully my leg will be all better by July. Next month: tennis lessons! I’ve been keeping up with my exercises, but lately there have been a lot more days where I forcibly make my ass get off the couch than usual. It will be good to mix things up.

I’ve also been going on baking sprees this month. One evening I made a batch of egg muffins and then roasted a head of cauliflower and followed it up by roasting a head of broccoli. I now have Tupperware containers of veggies in the fridge to snack on when the mood hits me. I know I’m supposed to eat fruits and veggies, but lately it had been more like fruits and, oh yeah, a veggie. It’s so easy to grab a peach or banana and eat it right away, whereas I prefer most of my veggies chopped and cooked, carrots and celery excluded. Having everything ready to go helps get more of them into my diet. Also, cooking is a good excuse not to do other things. “Oh, I can’t do ____, I have to cook some broccoli!”

Here’s hoping I’m in the mid-170′s by the end of July!

Flora • July 1, 2007 at 8:34 am

Mmmm… roasted cauliflower is the best! I wish I had some right now.

BrightAngel • July 1, 2007 at 9:14 am

Good job at weight-loss and eating healthy.

Good job at Posting your experiences.

You deserve a lot of positive attention for both your Efforts and your writing talent, and I believe it will come to you.

Michelle • July 1, 2007 at 9:28 am

This may seem like a stupid question, but how do you roast brocoli & cauliflower? I only know how to steam it. Do you put any type of liquid in the pan, and do you season it? At what temp and for how long? Thanks!

GroovyBabe • July 1, 2007 at 10:25 am

Congrats on your loss and continued success.

PastaQueen • July 1, 2007 at 10:25 am

Michelle – I heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray. Chop up the veggies and lay them on the pan, spray them with cooking spray, sprinkle them with salt and pepper or whatever seasonings you like. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir them and then cook for another 10 minutes.

bazu • July 1, 2007 at 11:02 am

Hear, hear! Judging by your current rate of progress, I think it’s really likely that you’ll be in the 170′s by next month.

I also absolutely hear you on the arms- it takes so much work to sculpt arms, it’s ridiculous. You know how we all look at fellow womens’ bodies and size them up? I think my eyes automatically zoom to their arms. Arms are awesome. Wear your spaghetti straps with pride!

starbird • July 1, 2007 at 1:22 pm

Bazu, it looks to me as if PQ is already in the 170s! Look at her stats recently posted.

I went to the eBay site PQ mentioned – I’m way too short for those dresses, but I was curious to see what she wears when she isn’t posing for an progress picture. ;-)

It was so great to see the sizes shrinking: Size 20W, 18W, 16W and 14W and all the styles were cute. It’s nice to know there are pretty dresses in all sizes.

K • July 1, 2007 at 1:28 pm

A pound a week is pretty good, I think – I’ve never managed much more than that in real terms. I do think it might be easier to build up momentum if you can lose faster than that to begin with, even if you have a bit more to lose…

You have great taste, by the way, I agree…

PastaQueen • July 1, 2007 at 1:43 pm

I have to confess, the clothes were given to me by someone else, so it’s actually she who has good taste. But I totally agree!

Debbie • July 1, 2007 at 2:34 pm

The first season of Alias was the best. Enjoy.

MaryK • July 1, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Wow! I just spent most of the weekend reading every single post in the archives, and I just have to say that you are one awesome woman!! Your commitment shines through on every page and it’s quite inspiring. I’m glad I found you in time to be around when you reach your goal!

ann • July 1, 2007 at 4:18 pm

How cool (the arms, that is). (especially if you go inside anywhere – the way most places keep their air conditioning in the summer, you will probably get frostbite in sleeveless).

And I know what you mean about running – I remember when I started I ran one block and walked the rest of the hour – and I was drenched solid in sweat after that bit of exertion. Now – like you – I think straight walking is boooooring.

Catherine • July 1, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Thanks for the instructions about roasting broccoli and cauliflower . . . I had the wrong idea about that process, picturing somehow sticking a whole head of broccoli or cauliflower in some kind of tall pot or something. I guess I’m pretty ignorant about cooking healthfully.

Thanks for the lesson!

Jessica • July 2, 2007 at 2:01 am

I stumbled onto your site by pure accident last night, but I’m glad I did. So many of your entries have made me Laugh Out Loud, it would be disrespectful to do the shorthand. I’m maybe halfway thru the archive entries. Kinda bummed that on the older ones the comment section was off, cause I agreed with so much of what you said. I have enjoyed going thru your accomplishments and set backs. Thank you for your honesty, never was bothered by your TMI’s.

I bought a Taninta Scale off QVC in 1999 when I swear the fat percentage was a new thing, but I’m probably wrong, and it cost me around $90 I think. It doesn’t store individual info, but does save the height and sex of the last user. I’ve replaced the battery a few times but I Love My Scale. My friends like it, my mom likes it. So anyone out there in bloggerville wondering if its worth buying, my answer is a most passionate YES!

I have added your site to my favorites. You have done two things I’m amazed by: You’ve lost an incredible amount of weight by changing your habits; and actually kept up with this blog. I know its been said before, but many diet blogs only last a few months, then you see “No new entries posted”. Congats for all your successes, you worked hard to achieve them. Relish in your accomplishment.

HK • July 2, 2007 at 7:41 am

Bummer about the leg injury. Is it your knee, or more of a muscle-pull type of thing? Or a tight iliotibial band, or a shin splint? Sorry, I’m obsessed with running injuries because I have runner’s knee (patellofemoral syndrome), which I’ve been dealing with for the past 3 years. Believe me, I know how much it sucks to have your running derailed by an injury. You may have already done this, but I think that some online research could help you identify the kind of injury you have and what you could do to help get over it. Runnersworld.com is a great place to start — or even just google searches. When I injured my knee, I thought that just laying off the running would help it heal. But I later found out that I had to be more proactive and do certain stretches and leg-strengthening exercises to get back into (and stay in) running shape. Ice packs and anti-inflammatory drugs (Advil, Alleve) also help. Good luck!

Heather • July 2, 2007 at 8:53 am

Most running overuse injuries can be healed by just taking time off running. A doctor isn’t necessary unless it doesn’t heal. Google the symptoms, see what you can find– there may be more steps other than rest to help you heal faster.

You have become a runner! I can’t wait until my prediction comes true where you start running two hours at a time– when some entries ago you thought we were crazy. ;) It’s a slow, addicting process– and you’re hooked!

Kalyn • July 2, 2007 at 11:14 am

Hi there. Sorry to hear about the hurt leg. I hope it’s not serious. When I used to teach aerobics (in a previous life, you are too young to know about those yet) I used to take two advil before class every day. It really helped with those hurts that didn’t seem serious but bothered me when I was exercising. Any anti-inflammatory drug would probably help.

Thanks for the link to my egg muffins! Did you try the silicone muffin pans? They’re awesome. And good job with the roasted veggies. I think just about any vegetable tossed with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and roasted for 20 minutes at 425 F would taste pretty good. I’ve done carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, turnips, radishes,and mushrooms. One of my next ones is going to be brussels sprouts. I’ve seen other food bloggers who cut the sprouts apart so the leaves get kind of crispy when they roast. Sounds just awesome.

G.G. • July 2, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Kalyn–I cut my brussel sprouts in half, toss with olive oil, lemon pepper and sea salt, roast for about 30 minutes, and they’re wonderful (it’s a Barefoot Contessa recipe).

Lose Weight With Me • July 3, 2007 at 8:01 am

Nothing wrong with eating fruits and veggies to your hearts content. This time of year it seems like the varieties available fruits increases, and they just seem to burst with flavor!

Brian

Rose • July 3, 2007 at 11:45 pm

I just want to say what an inspiration you are, and I can’t wait for your book! I look at the picture on your page, and it could be a picture of me, down to the faint stain on the shirt in the same place I often stain my own. You give me hope that with a steady, consistent, methodical approach, this can be done, though I’ve got more than half of me to lose. You look fabulous, and your writing style always makes me smile. Thank you.

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

Site Meter