Off to BlogHer!

I’m leaving for the BlogHer conference in Chicago today. As some of you recommended, I checked into the MegaBus service and was able to get a round trip fare from Indianapolis to Chicago for $9.50. No, I did not misplace the decimal. No, I don’t know how they stay in business. They’re basically only asking me to buy 3 gallons of gas for them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ask me to swallow a balloon of unidentified white powder before getting on board and then make me use the facilities before they give me my luggage back. That or they’re going to sell me into sex slavery in Taiwan. If I go missing, that’s where you should start looking for me. How do you say “Don’t stick that up there” in Taiwanese?

The other odd thing is that I get on board at some random street corner in downtown Indianapolis. They don’t use the bus station, nor do they use tickets. You just reserve a spot online and bring your receipt with the confirmation number. I suppose that keeps overhead down. You get cheaper rates the earlier you reserve. If I were to try to buy my tickets right now it would cost me $46.00. They only service the Midwest right now, so if you live in an area of the country without corn, you’re out of luck.

I weighed in early since I won’t be weighing myself this weekend. (Oh no! A three-day gap in my weight chart! What ever shall I do?) I am allotting myself five vacation pounds, even though I plan on walking everywhere. If I end up gaining more than five, then I can start beating myself up. Otherwise, par-tay! And honestly, if history repeats itself, I might end up losing weight from dehydration or just because my body likes to screw with me.

I might try posting from the conference. It will depend on how tired or wired I am and how much I am willing to pay for a computer terminal. I have no laptop or wifi, which makes it harder to get online. I am looking forward to meeting a lot of my fellow weight-loss bloggers and other interesting peeps I have met on these here Internets over the past couple years. I went shopping this past weekend and now own pants that fit, so at least they won’t laugh at my droopy jeans. If you’re in town and recognize me, feel free to come say hi. I will respond to “Jennette” or “PastaQueen” or “PQ.” I’m hoping to meet lots of new people, learn a lot and most importantly have lots of fun! If you don’t know what I look like, here’s 360 degrees of PastaQueen.

Lynn • July 26, 2007 at 11:23 am

Have fun at the conference! Can’t wait to hear all about it.

Mark • July 26, 2007 at 11:38 am

Have fun, and keep a lookout for Tanya: She’s under orders to track you down.

Mia • July 26, 2007 at 11:44 am

I’m jealous! Sounds like fun.

Kala • July 26, 2007 at 12:01 pm

You crack me up.

starbird • July 26, 2007 at 12:33 pm

Here’s a tip: most hotels now have business centers with free access to computers, the Internet and printers. I used one in So. SF recently at Camp Bread (a cool conference for professional and amateur bread makers) to confirm and print out my return flight to Oregon. I also took that opportunity to check my yahoo email.

My roommate (a professional from Traverse City, Michigan) looked at her bank account to make sure she had enough to cover the rest of her trip. Sometimes these centers are off in a hard-to-find corner, but just ask the concierge or at the reservation desk.

As you know, hotels also have swimming pools, lap pools, workout rooms (often with a cool city view), and free breakfasts and happy hours!

Jenny • July 26, 2007 at 12:48 pm

I love Chicago – love, love it. Have a great time.

JEM • July 26, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Have a great time! Can’t wait to hear about it! Chicago is a great city…one of my faves!

jae • July 26, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Have fun!! And don’t do anything I wouldn’t do…or maybe you should. :) ~j

Purring • July 26, 2007 at 5:57 pm

I am sooo coming here again. You are amazing, funny, personality galore and a huge inspiration. Found you through a SB forum.

K • July 26, 2007 at 6:43 pm

Have fun!

Oddly, we have Megabus between Edinburgh and Glasgow – same system, but don’t know if it’s the same people. Or if they do the rest of the UK. I don’t often get buses any further than that.

If you see Shauna at BlogHer, tell her I said hi…

Kelly • July 26, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Just wanted to say congrats on your AMAZING progress! I just found your blog yesterday, and I’ve bookmarked it… I’ll be checking up on you! You really give lots of inspiration to the rest of us who are trying (desperately!) to lose weight. I have about 40 lbs to lose, myself, so hopefully your wonderful blog will keep me motivated… have fun at the conference!

lulu • July 26, 2007 at 11:06 pm

I know you were joking but, as a Taiwanese, allow me to clarify that our red light districts do not provide sex slaves or even intercourse. The regulations stop firmly at 3rd base. Taiwanese guys have to take trips to China and Thailand for that! (Okay, now the onslaught begins.)

MizAngie • July 26, 2007 at 11:20 pm

My friend mochamomma is going to BlogHer, too! I hope you run into her because she is fabulous and I think you would like her. She’s an educator from somewhere in Indiana and writes a great blog. Have fun!!!

Marla • July 27, 2007 at 8:58 am

Have a wonderful time in Taiwan! Er, I mean Chicago. Keep an eye out for Shauna, give her a big wet kiss for me, and enjoy your five pounds allowance.

ann • July 27, 2007 at 12:15 pm

This is hilarious! Have a wonderful time.

Joanne • July 27, 2007 at 4:24 pm

I took the Megabus a few weeks ago and I am happy to report that there was no drug trafficking or anything, just a ride to Chicago. The bus was a bit late on the way back, but that was all. It is a UK based company, I read online. I don’t know how they do it, but I love it. It makes for a very pleasant trip to Chicago. I hope you have a great time!

Country Chicken • July 27, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Perhaps you meant to say Japan, not Taiwan, when making that remark about sex slavery? The Japanese have a well-documented and notorious history of forcing women from other cultures into sex slavery.

Mymsie • July 28, 2007 at 9:16 am

Exciting – hope you have fun!

hannah • July 28, 2007 at 11:01 am

Have fun! BTW, don´t worry if you end up in Taiwan, it´s lovely! Very nice and warmhearted people. As for the language, they speak chinese, so you could try saying “Bu! Bu!” (No! No!) ;)

asma • July 29, 2007 at 12:33 am

I have just discovered your blow and WOW, I”M SO PROUD OF YOU! I’m amazed! I just started my blog about my own weight loss journey, I’ll be reading yours for inspiration and motivation, check my blog out I would love to hear from you!

Kate • July 29, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Just wanted to tell you that you look gorgeous in the picture that Shauna posted. Hope you’re having a great time.

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine