My New Workout

Truly, the only way you could get me to run that fast is if you put a cookie in front of me.

Video via Skwigg who saw it on Alwyn Cosgrove. For those of you sneaking your blog reading in at work and don’t want to blow your cover, it’s a Japanese game show where the object of the game is to run off the end of a long treadmill. You grab a cookie every 10 feet or so, at which point the treadmill speeds up. Most people end up tripping and get sent off the treadmill into a pool of water. But hey, at least they got a cookie! When I first watched it I thought, “Man, it’s pretty much impossible to win this game,” and then I realized that was the point. It’s way more entertaining to see people get knocked into a wading pool with a mouth mashed full of chocolate chips than it is to see them win. It’s like an allegory for our high-paced, competitive society. We’re all running like crazy to get the cookie, but we’re just as likely to fall on our asses. They should totally bring this show to America. I’d watch. Hell, I’d even compete!

Jenny • July 20, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Bwahahaa – I think I’ve found my calling! Forget boxing, I’m diving for cookies.

Marla • July 20, 2007 at 1:02 pm

Did you ever see the Most Extreme Elimination Challenge? It was a hilarious English dubbing of a Japanese game show – I don’t remember any cookies, but most competitions ended with people falling into water. It was awesome!

mia • July 20, 2007 at 1:15 pm

Hilarious! I think I’d welcome falling in the pool if put in that situation. It’s amazing anyone wins.

This is the first time I’ve visited your site; it’s witty, inspiring and generally awesome! (I’ll be reading through the archives for a while!)

JEM • July 20, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Japanese Game Shows are the greatest! Thanks for the laugh!

Evita • July 20, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Too fuuny. Their legs were moving so fast!

Amanda • July 20, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Hahahahaha very funny. That might be a novel idea for a new work out class at the gym… one long treadmill that everyone gets on and runs together in time… although if someone fell everyone behind would be knocked over like bowling pins! hahaha. Thanks for putting a smile on my face :) Amanda.

Eve • July 20, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Haha, I actually applauded when the last guy finally cleared it.

Rah • July 21, 2007 at 9:37 am

Forget the cookies–look at those numbers you posted this morning (Saturday)!! Awesome, awesomer, awesomest! It’s testimony to your recent post about discipline “vs.” motivation. Yay for you!

Lily • July 21, 2007 at 4:22 pm

I’m actually happy that someone won. If that last guy didn’t make it to goal, I would have thought watching the video was a waste of my time.

carol ann • July 21, 2007 at 7:47 pm

your in the 170s! congratulations!

Sayre • July 22, 2007 at 8:05 am

That was TOO funny! I don’t know if I’d run for cookies – chocolate maybe…

Lisa • July 22, 2007 at 11:53 am

I just recently discovered your blog and I think it’s amazing! Over the last few days I’ve read pretty much all your entries and I’m addicted. Thanks for the inspiration and the humor.

Yolanda • July 24, 2007 at 2:43 am

Looks fun and exciting. Let’s hope that the treadmill will not malfunction during the contest. I can’t imagine where the contestant will bump to if the treadmill suddenly stops.

Site Meter