Weighing in on May

Last Saturday I weighed in at 187 and was glad I’d decided the week before to nix the weekly weigh-in entries in favor of round-ups at the beginning of each month. My weight has been all over the place in May, making me wonder if I should rename this blog every week. One week it’s “Half of Me” and the next week it’s “Over Half of Me” and then the week after that it’s “Almost Half of Me.” I practically needed rotating logos.

So I was looking at that number, wishing I was a dishonest person and could lie about my weight or perhaps “forget” to update my sidebar with the number. Then I thought about everything I’ve been saying lately about how I don’t care so much about my weight as I do about being fit and healthy and able to roll on my back and fling myself up to a standing position. I asked myself, “Self, do you really believe all that stuff?” And I realized that yes, I do really believe all that stuff. I still want the numbers to go down and not up, since weight gain will inhibit my ability to do all those things. But as long as I am able to run and frolic like a pixie it doesn’t matter if I actually look like a pixie. So I typed the number into my template and rebuilt all my pages and logged off the computer to go for a walk.

Then six days later I weighed in at 180.

Aunt Flo came early this month and like many an unwanted relative screwed with my head. You’d think after over a decade of being of a child-bearing age I would get used to the weirdness of my cycle, but no, she gets me every time. I even use My Monthly Cycles to send me e-mail reminders three days in advance, but she launched a pre-emptive strike this month. Still, seven pounds in six days is a bit wonky even for me. I’ve read there is now a form of birth control that will let you stop having periods. There’s a part of me that would really love not having to rinse my undies in cold water every month, but another part knows that I would miss these sudden drops in weight that are so much fun even if the gains drive me crazy. I also want other people to take the pill for a couple years in case it causes them to grow a second vagina. Which is funny since I have no qualms at all about dumping Splenda all over my oatmeal and strawberries even though it’s a fairly new chemical.

I can’t blame the recent weight-loss stall completely on my cycle though. The past two months have been slow for three reasons. First, I started weight lifting at the end of February and have been developing muscles. I’ve been drinking my protein shakes and eating my cottage cheese. So now when I rub my back at work I’m feeling up hard clay instead of mushy Play-Dough. I’ve definitely gained muscle and thus weight. How much? I haven’t a clue.

Secondly, I mildly injured something my inner right thigh at the beginning of May and had to stop running for 3 weeks. I replaced it with some cycling and the occasional walk to the grocery store, but nothing gets me hot and sweaty like running does, except maybe Simon Baker. I am now getting back into running, but taking it slow so I don’t re-injure myself.

The third reason: cereal. While it has been fun experimenting with new foods, this curiosity has led me to some dangerous discoveries. I started experimenting with new breakfast foods like Kashi’s Go Lean and Go Lean Crunch. I should know better because cereals are one of my binge foods, just like muffins or breads. One bowl of Go Lean will keep you lean, but two and a half are not a good idea. I also discovered the most delicious dessert – a bowl of vanilla yogurt mixed with a mango-cornflake cereal. Oh. My. God. It was ambrosia. I would eat a bowl of it and then I’d immediately eat another. Then I’d want to eat another but I’d wait until later in the day so I wouldn’t feel like a total pig. It was so good and yet so bad for me at the same time. I’ve now banned the mango cereal from my house because I cannot control myself around it. Until they start selling it in half cup portions I’m only going to buy it on special occasions.

I think I’ve made the proper course corrections and I’ll get back to losing weight, though I’m happy to have basically maintained my weight recently. I’m happier to see the 180 on the scale because it is a new low for me. Hopefully (cross my fingers) I can hit the 170′s in June (knock on wood). If I get to 172 I will have lost 200 pounds. Two hundred freakin’ pounds. Can you believe that?

And, a bit of bad news here, yesterday I lent my digital camera to my brother. So you’re going to have to be patient waiting for new progress photos. He promised to return it in a week. Untill them I could try to sketch myself for you, but I think it’ s better just to wait. I had no idea I was going to get to 180 this quickly or else I would have just taken the pics last night.

jen • June 1, 2007 at 8:07 am

It’s amazing how shocking those sudden drops can be. I weigh myself, not daily, but pretty often and it seems like there are a lot of ups and downs throughout the week. So weighing in only weekly, you could catch yourself on an up day or a down day and see a lot of dramatic changes.

The weight training will pay off with weight loss in the long run, so I’m glad you’re not letting the temporary upward creep discourage you from doing it. All those fabulous muscles make your clothes fit better, too.

It is hard to keep it in perspective though, and probably even harder for you with all your blog readers watching your every move. From the most recent pics you posted, though, you look wonderful no matter what the scale says.

Karen Baum • June 1, 2007 at 8:11 am

CALL YOUR BROTHER, STAT! We need the photos! What happens if, God forbid, you’re up again next week? Will you decide NOT to take the photos because, technically, you’re not down a decade? You need to publicly promise to take them, no matter what number appears on the scale! We’re proud of you, PQ, but we need, need, need those danged 3-D photos. :-)

PastaQueen • June 1, 2007 at 8:18 am

Karen – I promise to take the photos as soon as I get the camera back :) I’d put my hand on a bible and swear but I don’t have one nearby.

Heather • June 1, 2007 at 8:50 am

I know how you feel… I gain 5-10 lb every month for my period week and then it disappears.

To be fun, it showed up twice this month. Like I needed that.

Yech.

BrightAngel • June 1, 2007 at 9:06 am

I have been maintaining within my 115-105 lb maintenance range now for 16 months….And I just realized that getting from 190 to 115 took 16 months also. An anniversary of sorts, for me. (I’m 5’0″ tall & 62 years old so my maintenance metabolism rate, including 1 hr per day low-impact exercise, is only about 1500 daily calories)

Those salt/water/waste gains can be quite a shock.

Recently I took a 4 day vacation, and chose to eat my favorite foods only with the restriction not to make myself sick. My daily calorie average rose from around 1500 to 2500, which would be less than a 2 lb fat gain (3500=1 fat lb); however, I was shocked to see a 10.8 lb gain at the end of the 4 days. The morning I began vacation I weighed 110.8. The morning I ended vacation I weighed 121.6.

The Good News is that I immediately went low-cal with exercise and 5 days later weighed 111.0, which is only 0.2 lbs higher than before vacation.

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

Congratulations! And thank you for pointing out the cereal thing. It’s better for me than cake, but I really don’t need to eat 2.5 bowls of it either. Sigh.

More veggies! More fruit!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

More veggies! More fruit!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

More veggies! More fruit!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

More veggies! More fruit!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

More veggies! More fruit!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

More veggies! More fruit!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

More veggies! More fruit!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

More veggies! More fruit!

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

More veggies! More fruit!

Peter • June 1, 2007 at 9:29 am

Phew–congratulations! It will be an amazing feeling to see that first number starting with a “1-7-”.

(And I won’t make any more plugs for computing a trend weight, to iron out the angst of these day-to-day measurements.)

Cannibal Warrior • June 1, 2007 at 9:40 am

Oh my god, I know exactly which cereals you are talking about. I can down a whole box like nothing, they taste like candy.

They are also banned from my home–there’s no point in having them if I’m not going to binge, I’d rather just eat a simple piece or fruit or something instead.

anonymous • June 1, 2007 at 9:49 am

As a runner (who has had minor injuries here and there that have waylaid me, causing me to try other forms of exercise until I’ve healed, resulting in my discovery that *nothing* is as good as running when it comes to cardio–at least for me) AND a former cereal binger (who therefore no longer keeps cereal in the house; sigh, I miss it so), I just want to say, I totally understand! My guess is those two factors played a huge role in your temporary weight spike.

Congrats on the 180. Outstanding :-)

gill • June 1, 2007 at 10:14 am

hey pq,

I get this sudden up and down every bloody month and it drives me bonkers – even though I know its coming, I cry and rant every time I see a mammoth gain. This month it was a whopping 9 pounds, that I held onto for 4 days, then it all dropped off in 4 days. My record gain is 10 pounds… rubbish or what?

I take a contraceptive that stops my periods – cerazette I think its called. I don’t think it was designed specifically to actually stop them, its just a happy side effect of not ovulating. I still get the dreaded bloat( I always have even pre birth control) and no periods, so if you do fancy taking a contaceptive , don’t worry you’ll still see the water gain/drop!! yay (not)

Ill keep my fingers crossed for you to reach 172, if I manage to lose the same 8 lbs I’ll weigh 200 lbs, and you’ll have lost a whole me!! coolio!

have a good weekend xox

Heather • June 1, 2007 at 10:57 am

Congrats PQ!! Doesn’t it feel amazing? Skinny people just don’t understand that feeling.

I totally get that cereal thing! At LA Weighloss they let you have 2 cups of cheerios…you’d think that was loads for anyone on a strict diet, but no! I need 3 of those! I have been known to eat an entire Muslea box of cereal in one morning. Cereal is for sure addicting!

Patty • June 1, 2007 at 12:50 pm

I know about the wt fluctuations! Mine is going back and forth 4 or more pounds this week. Maddening! yeah, maybe it’s the pre-mens. could be and I’ve upped my exercise I thought the wt would be falling off but no…

I know what you mean by the good cereals. They are a downfall for me as it’s hard to stay at one bowlful. Look forward to your next progress pics.

CCC • June 1, 2007 at 12:55 pm

Oh, the ups and downs of being a woman. So many of us understand it so well…but congratulations on your continued progress! Veddy, veddy inspiring!

Just discovered your blog and I am hooked…good luck as you continue your journey and I’m waiting eagerly for the progress pics. I heart inspiration and right now, inspiration equals you!

yo • June 1, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Wow wow wow!!!

180??? That is AWESOME!!

Laura • June 1, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Super cool! 180 and a new low. That is fabulous. I just about lost my cookies on the “aunt flo…screwed with my head” line. God, you are too funny. Love the swimsuit in yesterday’s post. I just bought a new suit too, and am SO very grateful that retailers have embraced the skirt/tankini look. My saddlebags are so much happier hidden away under a flirty skirt.

Riley & Tiki's Mom • June 1, 2007 at 9:15 am

More veggies! More fruit!

Anna • June 1, 2007 at 2:21 pm

Congrats on 180!

Have you ever brought up your irregular cycles with your ob/gyn? You could have something like polycystic ovarian syndrome — which is linked to obesity (though you’re not obese any more!) The treatment for that is just the pill and a diabetes drug, which could actually help you lose more weight if that’s the problem. Just thought I’d mention it.

And the new pill that stops your periods — it’s just repackaging the good old-fashioned pill so that you never take the sugar pills that make you have a period. No new hormones or anything, so probably no second vagina :-)

PastaQueen • June 1, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Anna – I probably could have phrased it clearer, but my cycle isn’t irregular. It comes once a month, there’s just a plus or minus area of four days in which it comes. So it was just about 4 days early this month. Some months its 4 days late. But it always comes within that week, thank goodness. I know some people with PCOS and endrometriosis and I hear it sucks.

JEM • June 1, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Sooooo happy for you! 180, wow! You have come so far. My period always does a number on me to. (Pun intended) I always stay the same weight for the week of my period no matter how good I am and then the next week whoosh! It’s such an odd behavior but hey I’ll take it. Congrats on your new low!

Kimberly • June 1, 2007 at 3:45 pm

However you got there, 180 is awesome! Congrats!

Cereal is my binge food too. Banana Nut Muslix? Eeeeeviiiill!

Christine in AZ • June 1, 2007 at 6:25 pm

I can only imagine the feeling you got from seeing 180 on the scale… Congratulations… you never cease to inspire..

Hey, are you selling anymore stuff on ebay? I get so many compliments on the black sleevless fancy top with the embroidered flowers on it…

Take care…Christine

Alicia • June 1, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Wow!! I am so impressed by your acheivements. I am so excited for you and your new low. That must be such a tremendous feeling. Congrats and thanks so much for the good reading :-)

starbird • June 1, 2007 at 6:36 pm

Congrats, PQ! Reaching 180 is wonderful. The reasons you may have had such a hard time getting there all sound reasonable, but say what you will, I think the reason you got to 180 is because…

I started to pray for you! And none of that namby-pamby “if it be Thy Will, Lord…” I laid it on the line – “Help that girl, G-d! I mean it!”

So, I’ll just keep on praying for you, because in my experience in other cases, it works.

s

Janice Bridge • June 1, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Dancing the Happy Dance. . . .here come the 170′s. . . . when is the LAST time you remember the lead two digits as a one and a seven???

PastaQueen • June 1, 2007 at 9:23 pm

Christine – I’ve got some stuff I’ve been meaning to ebay, but I don’t have anything listed right now. I’ll have to wait for my camera to return before listing stuff anyway. Glad you like the top!

egoldstein • June 2, 2007 at 11:24 am

Woohoo, congratulations PQ, can’t wait to see the new photos. For your monthly friend, you might try magnesium supplements, a naturopath recommended them and they really helped reduce PMS symptoms including bloating and breast tenderness. And for cereal, I now try to have 2/3 fruit, 1/3 yogurt and sprinkle cereal (like granola) more for a crunchy topping.

Monique • June 2, 2007 at 12:55 pm

Hey. I just wanted to say congrats on hitting 180 (179 according to your sidebar thingy… woohoo). Your continued accomplishment is truly inspiring.

Mymsie • June 3, 2007 at 12:25 am

Congrats!! Cereal is totally a binge food for me too – can’t keep it in the house.

Lose Weight With Me • June 4, 2007 at 7:11 am

You’ve got a great, healthy attitude about the scale weight, PQ. Way to go!

Brian