Get yourself to the butterfly lounge

British recording artist Mika recently released a video for his single “Big Girl (You are Beautiful)” which you can check out below:

I love the shocked expressions on the faces of the people at the farmer’s market they apparently crashed. Some people just look confused and others seem mildly amused. Some people have disapproving looks. I don’t know if that’s because they just came there to get a deal on tomatoes and found their way to the veggie cart blocked by six girls grooving in shiny clothes or if they’re shocked that anyone that size would dare dance in a leotard in public.

By the end Mika’s turned into a pied piper and is leading crowds of people through the street dancing. At the 2:30 mark you can see that they made the cameraman dress up in a big monkey suit. It looks like it was a lot of fun to shoot, especially with all the balloons and multi-colored umbrellas.

Too bad there was nothing like this on TV or the radio when I was growing up. The most fat-empowering song I can remember from my youth was when Sir Mix-a-Lot sang about how much he liked big butts. And while I do dig that song, I must admit my enjoyment is undercut somewhat whenever I realize he’s objectifying fat women just like thin women typically are. While I wouldn’t say the world is anywhere near being a fat positive place, when I hear songs like Mika’s it seems like it’s getting a little bit better. Or at the very least the fat empowerment people are getting more organized and vocal about their message. I’d guess the Internet has something to do with that, allowing people with similar philosophies to connect. When Granny PastaQueen was growing up we didn’t have any fast as lightning Internet connections. We had a 500 baud modem and the Internet didn’t even have pictures! You could put the whole Internet on floppy disks and still have room for your computer games!

Strangely enough, one of the commenters on the YouTube page was complaining that the women in the video weren’t fat enough and s/he felt cheated. I don’t really want to play the game of “is she fat enough?” since it seems rather pointless. Does one woman have more of a right to be discriminated against because her thighs are bigger? I don’t think so. But we should all get out there and dance! (With men in monkey suits if at all possible.)

Susannah • June 26, 2007 at 8:01 am

Wow! What a fantastic video!! Thanks so much for posting it. I loved the last bit with the whole crowd – every size, color and age – dancing together and having a blast.

Lose Weight With Me • June 26, 2007 at 8:10 am

What a wonderful song…thank you so much for posting it!

I had just posted on my blog about the unfair standard that women seem to be held to when it comes to equating beauty with size. This is a great argument for the fact that size does NOT equal beauty!

Thanks for posting it.

Brian

anji • June 26, 2007 at 9:29 am

Great! Now I’m going to have that song stuck in my head as I go write my exam… hopefully I don’t pull a freud and write big girls are beautiful in the middle of my shakespeare essay… haha….

Thanks for the link :D

Lynette • June 26, 2007 at 9:35 am

What fun! (and that guy is just muy adorable)

Kate H • June 26, 2007 at 10:02 am

Mika reminds me very much of Freddie Mercury from Queen, and this song reminds me of their song “Fat Bottom Girls”.

Her Grace • June 26, 2007 at 10:14 am

They look like they were having a blast. What a catchy song!

Lynette in Iowa • June 26, 2007 at 12:22 pm

If you like Mika’s song, you should listen to Perfect 10 by The Beautiful South. I don’t know if it was written for (or just used) on a short-lived BBC show called Fat Friends (which is hilarious by the way).

I first heard that on Virgin Radio and went absolutely nuts over it.

FINALLY–some size positive songs!!!! :)

Patty • June 26, 2007 at 2:28 pm

I’ve seen this before recently. I like Mika, especially the ‘grace kelly’ song for a workout.

Way to go for him for this song.

SC • June 26, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Long time reader, first time commenting. Really like the song. Thanks for that. It brightened up my day and lifted my mood a little. Thanks again.

CactusFreek • June 26, 2007 at 5:39 pm

Hey :o)

I was sent this link by Angelfish24. Thanks Patty! :o)

PastaQueen, What about the song, “Fat bottom girls[You make the rock'n world go 'round]” by Queen? That has a kinda happening song!

The Mika video clip was great, and i think the girls were just the right size for the purpose :o)

CactusFreek • June 26, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Hi again…

Do you have progress pics? And if so, can you send me the link? :o)

CactusFreek • June 26, 2007 at 5:47 pm

Never mind, i found the pics [sorry lol]

Gee, you’ve done an AWESOME job! :o))

Lily • June 26, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Loved it! I especially loved all the colors the girls were wearing!

Heather • June 26, 2007 at 8:18 pm

I liked Sir Mix A Lot, but even better— De la soul — “Baby phat”

hoosiermeeshee • June 26, 2007 at 8:36 pm

I LOVE IT!! It put a huge smile on my face, and I had to watch it twice. I also love “Fat Bottom Girls” by Queen, and “I Like Big Butts” by Sir Mix-A-Lot. However, this seems even less objectifying than Fat Bottom Girls.

(Side Note: I love the Queen song, but I learn quite young the Freddy Mercury was gay, and it colored my view of that song. I have no problem with his sexual orientation, I just have a harder time believing the message of a song about women sung by a gay man. This extends to George Michael. :) )

J • June 26, 2007 at 9:20 pm

I wrote a review of this video on my blog also and while I LOVE the song and the message it conveys I HATE the video mostly because it makes us bigger girls look like we are too fat to dance properly and I, for one, am one big girl who knows how to dance!

Kriss • June 26, 2007 at 10:01 pm

OMG – How fun!! :)

Thanks for sharing this – I needed it today.

v • June 26, 2007 at 11:03 pm

While i think the song itself is good, and I can appreciate it as an adult … if this song was playing at the high school dance when you were 14 (assuming you were a plump kid), wouldn’t you run not walk to the exits in humiliation?

Maybe that’s just me.

Fat Bridesmaid • June 26, 2007 at 11:40 pm

I’ve had this CD for over a month and absolutely love it. I sing this song at least once a day and it always makes me smile.

jae • June 27, 2007 at 2:17 am

What a fun song, I think I’ve watched that video half a dozen times now.

One thing that gets me about you is that you stay real about about being big (even though you are most certainly NOT!) But you don’t make your weight loss this ‘I’m better than you cuz I’m all thin now and you’re still fat!’ kind of thing. You still have understanding and yet let us all know it can be done. It make me know that you will be a life time success. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you, dear PastaQueen, are an inspiration, not only for your weight loss, but your attitude!!! ~j

Jen • June 27, 2007 at 6:17 am

I love it! I think everyone should see this!

I’m going to go to Croydon Market in my lame and sequins and go dancing through the streets! Heh!

Heather • June 27, 2007 at 6:18 am

Oh my gebus, so I’d never heard of Mika. He reminds me of Queen. I’m so digging his songs.

Maggi • June 27, 2007 at 9:11 am

Well, now I have THAT song stuck in my head! (It’s replacing Queen’s “Bicycle Race”). While my first response was “C’mon, there are big girls who can dance better than THAT”– my overall reaction is that I it’s a cute song and a fun, light-hearted video. I love the end, with everyone dancing– big, little, voluptuous, skinny– all together. Thanks for sharing!

anji • June 27, 2007 at 10:33 am

I actually thought the girls danced pretty good! I think the ones at the end are supposed to represent the majority of us with no dance experience. They STILL dance better than I do and I was impressed they would just dance without really caring what anybody thought! Just my opinion :D If they were professionals, it might just make the song seem more phoney…

PastaQueen • June 27, 2007 at 10:54 am

I admit that the dancers don’t look like pros, but I think that’s what they were going for. The whole video has a gonzo feeling to it, like they just grabbed some cameras and balloons and purchased 100 umbrellas from the dollar store and shot the thing in a day. They probably choreographed the thing in an hour, if that. It sort of reminds me of the video for Fatboy Slim’s “Praise You” which was direct by Spike Jones. That video features a group of a dozen amateur dancers doing a silly routine in front of a movie theater.

Emily • June 27, 2007 at 1:28 pm

There’s something about it bringing attention to being big that doesn’t set well with me. Maybe because you would never hear me say “I’m a big girl and proud of it.” But that’s my issue! A video where the artist is singing of the beauty of women and there are all shapes and sizes of women in the video, I’d like that better.

K • June 29, 2007 at 3:25 pm

Only trouble with Beautiful South’s “Perfect 10″ is that UK size 10 is US size 6… I always thought the lyrics were suggesting that the _guy_ doesn’t have a perfect body…

binx • July 4, 2007 at 6:03 am

I love watching larger ladies letting free and having the time of their lives. I’m from Australia and am considering getting my binxalicious butt to the butterfly lounge.

BetZ • July 5, 2007 at 5:00 am

He’s actually Lebanese and American :)

Cute video though, sad how disapproving those shoppers were. Honestly, being a small guy, he probably gets treated by society like big girls do…

I love your site by the way. Your before and afters made me say “holy crap!” out loud. :D Like 5 times. You’ve done so well!

Carm • July 7, 2007 at 5:12 pm

Wow, how fun!! Thank you so much for sharing it.