Thank you to everyone who has commented on the book title post! Your comments have been very helpful. Please feel free to continue leaving your thoughts there. As soon as my publisher and I decide on a title, I’ll tell you. It probably won’t be until next week or later though because everyone is at the big Book Expo in New York this week. One well-placed dirty bomb could take out the entire American publishing industry. Let’s pray that no jilted copy editors have access to radioactive materials.

I also wanted to tell everyone that I’m going to BlogHer!

BlogHer '07 I'm Going

BlogHer is an annual blogging conference focused on female bloggers (though dudes can come too). It is being held July 27-29 this year in Chicago, which is so close to Indy that I really have no excuse not to go. It is also the place where my book editor heard about my blog last year, so it’s not only a good place to meet new friends and have fun, but an excellent networking opportunity. Get your business cards printed!

I’m going to take the train up, which amazingly will only cost me $32.40 round trip with my AAA discount. That’s kind of amazing when you consider how much gas and parking would cost if I drove up. I would also have to deal with Chicago traffic, which I find scary and intimidating. Those people are aggressive. I’m surprised they have not yet attached missile launchers to the hoods of their cars. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been up there though, so maybe by now they have.

If anyone else is going to BlogHer and sees me around, feel free to come say hi to me. I can be somewhat timid in large social situations, so don’t make any sudden movements or loud noises, but I’d love to meet my readers. There are enough photos all over this place that you should be able to recognize me from all 360 degrees.

Now we shall return you to our regularly scheduled weight-loss blogging.

Laura • May 31, 2007 at 11:01 am

What a cool thing about the train. I live south of you in Evansville, and driving anywhere north of here stinks. I’d love to be able to take a train to Indy or Chicago. We in E-ville can’t wait for I-69 to be built so we can get to Indy in a flash instead of dealing with stinkin’ Hwy 41.

Have a great time at the conference. I hope you meet a bunch of new friends.

And I cannot WAIT for your book. I look forward to reading your blog everyday. Thanks for all you do to inspire us!

Best,

Laura

Elty • May 31, 2007 at 11:40 am

Hi PQ–another delurker here. Mind if I post about the title thing here instead of on that entry? I may be breaking some kind of blogger law? [what is the emoticon for "apologetic face"?]

Donuts–meh. I wouldn’t buy it, because it sounds annoyingly cutesy. Which would be okay if you were annoying and cutesy.

I really liked the “True Tales” bit that someone suggested, and I agree with the 7-book-titles poster about how words referring to the first-person account (“memoirs” etc) are unnecessary if you use “Half of Me” (which seems like a no-brainer). So, how about:

“Half of Me: True Tales of How I Lost 200lbs”

All the T’s are interesting…? Though granted, not funny.

“Half of Me: TT of How I Ate Catfood and Other Weightloss Adventures”

“Half of Me: Motivation Schmotivation. (A Survivor’s Guide to Weightloss)”

Best of luck!

PastaQueen • May 31, 2007 at 11:59 am

Elty – It’s better to leave your comments on the original thread just so everything is in one place, especially if the publisher drops by to read the thread. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Christy • May 31, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Hey! Where did you get such an amazingly cheap Chicago ticket? I’m in Indy as well. Can you share your secret w/ me?? I’m AAA as well! Thanks!!!

PastaQueen • May 31, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Christy – Go to Amtrak’s web site and enter the days you want to come and go. The Indianapolis station code is IND and the Chicago station code is CHI. I think the price may vary depending on how far in advance you get ticket. When they ask if you have a passenger discount, select “AAA Adult” from the drop-down menu. A ticket one-way regularly costs $18.00, but the discount knocks it down to $16.20.

KAREN • May 31, 2007 at 2:34 pm

OH cool! I don’t even have a blog, but I am tempted to go and try to meet you and a few of the other blog owners that I read. I live in the south ‘burbs of Chicago. You have been one of the people to inspire me to get off my butt in the last month. I have lost 10 lbs in the last 4 weeks because of it. You have inspired me to be adventerous in the fruit and veggie section of the store too. lol

PastaQueen • May 31, 2007 at 3:43 pm

Karen – There is an “Un-Conference” event scheduled on Sunday morning called the BlogHer Open Space. It’s a breakfast-lunch thing happening at Chicago City Centre hotel and only costs $21.75 to attend if the conference fees scare you away. I’ll be going to that too, but I don’t know if everyone else necessarily will be.

Hope you’ve been having fun with the new fruits and veggies!

jen • May 31, 2007 at 5:21 pm

I’m taking the megabus (which also goes to Indy, BTW), which from Toledo is more reliable than the train. I am going to arrive on Thursday and stay for the UnConference. Hope to see some of you there.

dg • June 1, 2007 at 6:42 am

I’m going! Woohoo! Shall I buy you a drink and we can compare arm flab? ;)

Btw your swimsuit is really cool. Brown and blue are sooo good together!

dg • June 1, 2007 at 6:44 am

(btw that was meant to be a funny comment but i think it may have just sounded weird. apologies if it did!!!)

PastaQueen • June 1, 2007 at 8:04 am

dg – OMG, you’re coming!? That is awesome. I think if you’re swimming all the way across the Atlantic to get here I should buy *you* the drink though.

dg • June 1, 2007 at 9:52 am

oh sweeet. this shall RULE! :) do you think it’s possible to be really excited but realllly freakin nervous and terrified at the same time!!??! Why can’t my brain have an Edit Entry feature before speaking!?

Erin • June 1, 2007 at 11:09 am

DAMNIT! You and diet girl are going to be there (just two measly miles from my apartment), but I’ll be on the other side of the atlantic for the first time drinking my fill of guiness in Ireland. Too bad, I’d love to have met you in person cuz you’ve been an inspiration to me this past year.

PastaQueen • June 1, 2007 at 9:17 pm

dg – I know what you mean. It will be weird to meet everyone in 3-D after all the 2-D time we spend around each other, though it will be good weird. I kind of wonder if someone will see me and think “She’s still kind of fat.”

PastaQueen • June 1, 2007 at 9:28 pm

Erin – Hey, can I sleep in your apartment? :) Heh, just kidding.

MyMomtra • June 4, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Hey PQ, I’ll be there too. My first blog event. I’m in chicago so that was a no brainer. I look forward to meeting you in person. Your blog has been so fun to follow. I don’t have a 360 degree rotation of myself on my blog but I’ll be sure to keep a lookout for you and to check out the UNconference as well. Thanks for the heads up. Should you need any assistance in our fair city…just ask…I’ll do my best to help.

Joanne • June 4, 2007 at 6:15 pm

That’s a great deal on the train, but you should look at the megabus, too, for future trips. My husband and I are going Chicago from Indianapolis in July (not around the time of BlogHer, damn it) and it’s $46 round trip for both of us. It’s direct and goes to the Union Station in Chicago.

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine