Revised weigh-in schedule and cute skirt

It’s funny how the act of blogging about something can affect it. For example, I feel perfectly fine during the week as my weight teeters and totters up and down. I know there are a million and two things that affect weight other than fat. But when I come here on Saturdays I feel like I’m playing “Justify Your Weight.” Every time the number goes up I feel like I need to reiterate all the possible reasons for gains, from salt to water retention to that time of the month , etc., etc., etc., just so other people don’t freak out. The madness must stop.

So, in the interest of keeping me out of a padded room that I doubt my health insurance would pay for anyway, I’ve decided to revise my blogging weigh-in schedule. I will continue to update my weight on Saturdays mornings, but it will appear in the sidebar of this page and not in an entry. You can find it in the “Just how fat are you?” box. I will make a post about my weight on the 1st of every month to talk about how things are going. That way I won’t lose any accountability, but I also won’t have to come up with a new way to say “I lost” or “I gained” every week. I think this will work better because it was getting hard to think of stuff to write along with each weigh-in, especially since my rate of loss has slowed. Sometimes I felt like a TV weatherman reporting on a blizzard who has to keep saying, “Yep, it’s still snowing out here,” over and over again to fill 8 hours of storm coverage. It was starting to feel like filler.

In other news, Karen and kate requested new pics of me. I’m going to wait until my weight is 180 before I do another 3-D pic, but to tide you over until then here’s a picture of me in the first miniskirt I’ve ever owned. I wore this outfit to go to the art fair yesterday and was startled when I caught my reflection in a funky mirror on sale at one of the tents and saw some hipster chick looking back at me.

I also discovered something the costume designers for The Matrix learned last century: people look way cooler in sunglasses. Check out this side by side comparison. Who looks like a hipster chick and who looks like a French spy about to infiltrate the CIA complex?

The skirt claims to be a size 12, though I have to wonder if that is like a 30-something-year-old woman claiming to be 29. But if it wants to say it’s a 12, I have no problem with that.

PJ (RightNow) • May 20, 2007 at 12:39 pm

I just found your blog after a ref by someone who posted on mine. Terrific! What a great job you have done with weight loss and with blogging as well.

Yes you look way cool in the shades. ;-)

K • May 20, 2007 at 12:51 pm

Well, I think you look lovely with and without shades, but I see what you mean. Maybe the insouciant head-tipped-back pose is adding to it, too.

A couple of months ago I was looking for a skirt (with a mental picture of something pretty much exactly like that) and couldn’t find anything… looks good on you.

bitchwhoblogs • May 20, 2007 at 1:10 pm

You look utterly hip and adorable and chic!!! Embrace the size twelve- god knows you have earned that right!!! You look so great!!!

This may sound like a weird statement, but its a trip when one loses a lot of weight because then there you are rockin’ a size twelve looking all svelte and no one looking at you would ever even begin to guess the journey or distance you have travelled in terms of weight.

I was thinking about that yesterday. I was wearing these cute little, trendy size eight jeans (I am finally done thinking that every size six or eight I put on is somehow accidentally sized incorrectly- like those donuts that were mislabelled fat free, but were really like 100 grams fat and deep fried) and getting the size eight vibe and from the dudes at the flea market, the guys at my gym, etc. And I kept thinking- wow, they cannot tell I used weigh 55 pounds more and that I am just masquerading as a size eight blonde…

Anyway, just to say… you look like you this has always been you – and perhaps it has… One of my pals from the sisterhood of the formerly fat – thinks you either have the fashion thing or you don’t – no matter what your size.

Debbi • May 20, 2007 at 1:12 pm

What a hot little mama you are! Love the shades, love the skirt, love those collarbones!

omg • May 20, 2007 at 1:31 pm

You DO look so cute in sunglasses. katie holmes or what???

You should try dark smudgy eyeliner. I look good in sunglasses too, and I think a swipe of darkish eyeliner echoes that look.

btw • May 20, 2007 at 1:50 pm

Btw, this totally has nothing to do with anything, but i’ve started reading the Calorie Lab blog linked on the right.

I’ve been reading columns by this guy, Robert S. Wieder, who posts on the site.

Am I the only one who’s noticed he’s kind of a … anti-fat psycho? Like, obviously, I wouldn’t be reading calorielab if I wasn’t interested in losing weight, and I am no fat activist, but … it seems like every opportunity he gets he’s slamming fat people!

He’s got a post up now about a young guy who died from Prader-Willie syndrome (genetic disease that causes uncontrollable hunger), and, predicably, he’s being a dick about it.

Kalyn • May 20, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Dahling, you look just mahvellous. (Are you just too darn young to remember that commercial?)

PastaQueen • May 20, 2007 at 2:12 pm

btw – Yeah, I usually skip Wieder’s posts. I read CalorieLab more for the news summaries so I can keep up with the latest health and fitness information. The blog reviews are nice too.

Lynette Webb • May 20, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Wow, cute outfit! You look ADORABLE! That, to me, is your best progress pic to date.

Karen Baum • May 20, 2007 at 2:43 pm

OMG you are so cute! Wow! How fantastically happy you look. Thanks for giving in to our “demands” and posting an updated photo (even if it wasn’t 3-D). You continue to inspire! Thank you.

G.G. • May 20, 2007 at 2:45 pm

You know, that’s one of the fun things about losing as much weight as you have–it’s easier to choose clothes that really project who you are on the inside. Not impossible, but so much harder the higher up the size range you go.

Oh lord, I hope the thing about the fashion gene isn’t true. I’d like to think there’s some hope for me!

Looking good!

Oinkstop • May 20, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Yeah, definitely the glasses make the look. CIA, yes, absolutely. Or maybe just a female version of the Blues Brothers…

RG • May 20, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Hey PQ, you don’t look like you could possibly be a bmi of 27. Check out this page:

You look more like the picture #4 (bmi 23) than #5 (bmi 26). These pictures both conformed to me at those bmi. Maybe the extra skin skews your bmi numbers?

Kate • May 20, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Yay!!!! *applause* You look great! I’m jealous! :) Oh, and thanks for giving into the pressure and taking a pic *wink*

Joy • May 20, 2007 at 6:30 pm

You look totally ADORABLE!! That size “12″ looks like it’s only ounces away from being too big! Even more importantly, you look so HAPPY! You keep rockin’ it!!!

jen • May 20, 2007 at 6:44 pm

That BMI figure thing was interesting. I thought, “I’m between 4 and 5″ and that’s pretty much where my BMI fell too.

Cindy • May 20, 2007 at 8:01 pm

Hi PQ,

Great outfit! You look hip and confident. Your comment about startling yourself in the mirror at the art event really resonated with me. It is hard work to get used to a new identity, a new “niche” in society. It is great to have someone with your youth and vitality to lead some of us more “mature” late bloomers into the world of “hip.” Our definitions of cute little skirts might vary somewhat, but the idea of wearing them with ease and confidence is far more universal. And I think I am going to go get some new sunglasses…and maybe a straw hat…oh, my! We may have created a monster…

Thanks for the post. And I think it is great that you are finding a way to protect your core self in all of this—another great role model move on your part. All of us should follow that example and do whatever it takes to make this “thing” work. Enjoy the journey!

jen • May 20, 2007 at 9:03 pm

P.S. I like the sweater even better than the skirt.

Brigitte • May 20, 2007 at 9:22 pm

You look wonderful. Good job.

Kate #2 • May 20, 2007 at 9:26 pm

I love the sweater, too.

BrightAngel • May 20, 2007 at 9:35 pm

Looking good, girl.

Country Chicken • May 20, 2007 at 10:18 pm

Very nice collarbones! Your body looks like it’s within normal BMI range even though the scale isn’t budging. I recently read the book Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss–and the Myths and Realities of Dieting, and it gives great insights about the difficulties of losing weight. Keep up the great job! I have been struggling with my own plateau for the past several months, so I understand. Now I celebrate every week that my weight is in the same neighborhood because I know my body is doing everything it can to gain weight. I know you will overcome the number on the scale.

Kim • May 20, 2007 at 10:31 pm

Looking Good Pasta Queen!

Patty • May 20, 2007 at 11:24 pm

Looking good PQ! Like the outfit. I understand what U are saying about not doing a post about your wt gain or wt loss every week. Sound like a good idea to post it on the sidebar.

Chris H • May 21, 2007 at 4:51 am

I just got back from holidays, just in time for the new photos…. FAR OUT, YOU LOOK BLOODY AMAZING CHICK!!!! Love the shades…. and the legs!

dg • May 21, 2007 at 5:54 am

just catching up on posts here… lookin fab PQ! hope this doesn’t sound weird but you have a most elegant neck!

Mymsie • May 21, 2007 at 9:11 am

You look fantastic! Black tights are very chic right now. :)

Casey • May 21, 2007 at 12:33 pm

I was wondering – how fun would it be to post a new picture of yourself layered on top of the one on your page? The ‘half of you’ pic. To show just how much smaller you are now!

JEM • May 21, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Looking wonderful as usual.

deanna • May 21, 2007 at 2:00 pm

PQ, you look fantastic, simply beautiful, look at those collarbones… one hot mama!! I also applaud you for refocusing your efforts on this blog for that one weigh in day. Kudos to you – you are becoming healthier and stronger each day, mentally and physically, no one should justify their weight to anyone, and I apologize for the fact that we, your audience gave you pressure to do just that.

On another hand, I know I have said this before, but thank you for your blog. I know that a lot of us depend on your blogs to either reel us in back to reality, to find comfort in the struggle, and strength that we can do it. I know this may sound a little weirdish, but you have been keeping me very healthy during my second pregnancy and I thank you. I am in week 20 and have not gained a pound yet!! For a woman pushing 215 and everyone expecting to eat her way through the nine months – I thank you for your help!

KP • May 21, 2007 at 7:50 pm

You look fantastic! Woo!

Drina • May 21, 2007 at 7:55 pm

You look so beautiful!!

Kimberly • May 21, 2007 at 8:11 pm

You look fab!

I fit into my first size 12 skirt in years yesterday. It’s possible that the placement of my intestines will never be quite the same – but hey, size 12!!

Julie • May 21, 2007 at 11:14 pm

OMG, was just looking up Laila Ali’s height/weight stats (yes I’m a Dancing with Stars junkie, thanks to DVR) and found – YOU! A fellow Hoosier! I am so where you were, relatively speaking, and am so excited about my own journey after reading about yours! You look fantastic and you look so … HAPPY. I feel the start of a ‘girl crush’, you know when you admire another chick’s achievements and style. :-) Looking forward to more – my best – Jules

Julie • May 21, 2007 at 11:17 pm

P.S.

I can’t wait for your book!

jae • May 22, 2007 at 12:48 am

How cute you are! Your head is kicked back in the sunglasses pic. Like you know your cool and that’s that! Good for you! Your progress is awesome. ~j

lynn • May 22, 2007 at 4:29 pm

I have to agree with the masses. That outfit really does look adorable. :)

Shannon • May 22, 2007 at 5:50 pm

you look great! you are so cute; i wish you would smile with teeth.

CC • May 27, 2007 at 2:50 am

Hey PQ: I just started reading your blog and your are an inspiration and a riot. Your writing style frequently has me in stitches and your journey is a complete inspiration. and, of course, i am gaga over the coolness of your 3D flash animations… anyway, after i was rolling about the “weatherman in the blizzard” comment, I felt compelled to drop a line to just say thank you for sharing your journey. CC

Site Meter