Life is good, ya?

1) I was greatly amused by the German technician at my eye appointment this morning. She frequently beckoned me to “Go wit me now,” as we moved from room to room to shine lights into my pupils and drip frighteningly yellow drops into my eyes which I can’t be sure weren’t Mountain Dew. Her accent and demeanor were a nice change of pace from the whitebread culture of Indiana, but the amusing part came when she left the room as I waited for the doctor. My medical information was displayed on a computer screen to my right. Being a busybody and luckily still in possession of my glasses and thus my sight, I scanned the screen and had to stifle a giggle. In a notes field was this sentence, “Patient is well-nourished.” Well-nourished! OMG, is that medical code for “fat?” Do doctors have conversations like this:

Doctor 1: I think you’d really love going on a date with my 2:00 patient. She has a great personality.

Doctor 2: Great personality? Oh yeah, how nourished is she?

Doctor 1: (hesitates) She’s well-nourished.

Doctor 2: It figures.

Perhaps it is a German turn of phrase.I kind of like it. Perhaps that can be the word we use to describe people who aren’t fat but aren’t really thin either. Kate Winslet’s not fat, she’s well-nourished. Malnutrition is so not in.

2) After my eye appointment I dropped off some books at the library and picked up some on hold. I wore my sunglasses inside because my pupils were as dilated as if I’d just smoked five joints in the back of a Volkswagen van. The guy shelving the books on hold took a look at me and said, “Hi.” I figured he was just being a friendly library employee. Then when I was heading out the door a middle-aged, man with a limp made eye-contact with my shades and said “Hi,” too. I smiled back and as we were leaving he held the door for me, though it seemed a bit awkward for him to do. As I started to pass him on the sidewalk he said, “You’re a pretty lass.” And he didn’t even have a Scottish brogue! I immediately smiled and chirped “Thanks!” and bounced back to my car. I can only conclude one of the following things has happened:

A) I have become so thin and confident that I have entered the hotness zone. I will soon need to carry a stick to beat off lusty advances

B) Men dig chicks who wear sunglasses inside

C) The eye drops were not Mountain Dew but a super sexy aphrodisiac. They need to ditch the optometry biz and start hawking the eye drops from a gypsy wagon in the lobby.

3) I went to TGI Friday’s last night and ordered their Strawberry Fields Salad off of the “Right Portion, Right Price” menu. I have been wanting to try an item off the smaller portions menu ever since I read about it. Yes, I am genuinely excited that they will give me less food.

The salad was delicious and for the first time in my life I exited a restaurant feeling neither overstuffed nor guilty. It was just the right size. I managed to finish the whole plate of food, which was another first for restaurant eating. When I was done my dinner companions were still eating because they’d gotten the “normal” large portions. I did feel a temptation to keep eating, though at that point it would have required biting into the red plastic plate. I didn’t eat any more though because there was no more to eat and 5-10 minutes late that full feeling set in and I was very happy. However, if they had piled more strawberries and field greens on there I know I would have eaten them and hated myself for it later, strawberry guilt forever.

4) There are baby ducks and geese waddling around the canal on my drive to work! They are so cute, even though they poop on the sidewalks. The sun is shining and the weather is warm and it makes me want to go outside and run and frolic and be part of the world. I never felt that way when I was fat. I don’t know why. But now I want to go out and interact with people and enjoy the good weather and be alive. Even though I don’t have a boyfriend and I don’t have a million dollars and my toilet may be in the process of breaking, sometimes I am hit by these blasts of pure joy. It is fabulous and wonderful. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the size of my ass. I think it’s because I’ve grown and changed so much in the past couple years and I dig who I am so much. I am closer to joy now than ever before, like I moved just down the street from it and catch glimpses of it mowing its lawn and getting the mail from time to time. And I didn’t even have to eat any chocolate to feel this way.

Fatslayer • May 10, 2007 at 1:55 pm

It’s obvious – you’re so hot you’re smokin’! If I was a guy and lived in Indiana I’d totally chat you up in a library lobby too. Maybe you’d better go and get yourself that stick… ;o)

Oh, what a great feel-good post! Just what I needed to read today, when here the sun has fled and life is a little dull and drab at present. I feel happier already!

Anna • May 10, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Just in case you were wondering, well-nourished is actually medical terminology used to describe anyone between who appears somewhere between very thin and obese — in other words, normal weight! Congrats, and welcome to the hotness zone!

KP • May 10, 2007 at 2:09 pm

You ARE having a nice day! Embrace your hotness, lass!

Kimberly • May 10, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Too weird…the technician at my hubby’s clinic is German and speaks like that as well.

I’d definitely go with the “hotness” explanation. Although in similar circumstances my cyncial side would tell me they probably were being nice because they thought I was blind or something. =P

Charlene • May 10, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Oh PQ, you crack me up! You ARE hot! Men in libraries and shoes stores alike agree.

In my experience, well-nourished means not withering away, and therefore not showing any signs of degenerative illness, etc, It’s not code for fat- Also in my experience, if that’s the case they use the lovely “O” word (obese). And often times, depending on the medical provider it can be the cause of a host of medical conditions, perhaps excluding pregnancy. haha

Laura • May 10, 2007 at 3:37 pm

What a great post. So good to hear you are joyful. The world needs more people who are filled with joy. Keep spreading it around. It’s good for the environment.

Bree • May 10, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Wow, that WAS a feel-good post! Thanks for sharing (as always). You go girl!

Kala • May 10, 2007 at 4:21 pm

sounds like a good day for the pq! Congrats! I’m jealous.

G.G. • May 10, 2007 at 4:27 pm

In case you didn’t know already–the German word for “hot” is is “Heiß.” You pronounce the last letter like a long sizzling “S.” (word rhyming with “ice”)

I suggest you say this word many times to yourself, savoring the last letter like the sizzling chick you are:-) “Ich bin sehr, sehr Heiß. Yes, I am.”

(although, if it’s anything like their word for cold, saying it that way means something a bit different, with a meaning more akin to “I am frigid” as opposed to “My toenails are turning blue.”)

I also recommend looking at this website and seeing all the words associated with fat. Many of them are . . . . evocative. Such as “Der Fettbauch” for “Fat belly” and “Die Fettbildung” for “fat formation.” I especially like the fact that the literal translation for adipose tissue is “the beastly fat.” Hee. So, you can see that “well-nourished” does not appear to be a literal translation of “Fat”:-)

Cindy • May 10, 2007 at 6:00 pm

This post made me cry. How wonderful that you can experience full joy – you deserve it. You are inspiring, thank you for sharing your story.

Lynette • May 10, 2007 at 9:24 pm

It’s spring and you are hot, young and joyful! May all your salads be appropriately proportioned. This is truly as it should be!

Another fab post, thank you for letting us share in such an upbeat moment in your life.

you • May 10, 2007 at 9:53 pm

You are so cute, PQ, with all your joy and cheerfulness!

Isn’t it funny how, the thinner one gets, the more they want to move around and be in the world and go for walks in the sunshine and stop and sniff the ducklings and whatnot? Causing one to lose MORE weight by walking all the time, and then making one want to go out and enjoy life all the more, and sniff more ducklings and whatnot. It’s a positive feedback loop.

I think sunglasses add a haute, sexy air to a girl, particularly if you ordinarily wear regular glasses in places.

also • May 10, 2007 at 9:59 pm

also, I think you are one of those seasons people, PQ, from reading your blog. Like, I recall some posts where you were like “urgh” regarding the dark days, inability to enjoy waterfowl and what not at your local park because it got dark too early to go running, cold grey weather, etc.

You know what you should SO do next winter? Get a cheap ticket to the Caribbean and soak up some rays with your bad-ass skinny self. I think you are a sun person! :)

suckstobefat • May 10, 2007 at 10:29 pm

I completely agree…since I’ve begun to lose weight I feel about a million times better about going out in public…and I agree with “also”–the sunshine FINALLY coming to Pittsburgh has helped that feeling along.

Suey • May 11, 2007 at 1:37 am

PQ, I can just feel your happiness radiating from this entry! It makes me smile :)

Patty • May 11, 2007 at 1:59 am

Yeah, you are in the hot zone. Men are opening doors for you and saying ‘hi’!

I’ll have to try the tgif new smaller sized portions/salads. Sounds good.

I’m glad to hear you so happy and enjoying life. I get glimpses of that and the sunshine finally coming out is awesome and makes me happy too!

whatiweigh • May 11, 2007 at 3:27 am

Congratulations!!!!!

Feeling the hotness is amaziiiiiiiiing. I can well imagine.

I’m in the well nourished club too. Lol

Lose Weight With Me • May 11, 2007 at 8:21 am

Good information about TGI Fridays. I wish more resturants would down size their portions a little. If I go out to eat, I get a doggie bag with my meal and immediately put at least 1/3 of my meal in it. Most portions are just too darn big.

Brian

BrightAngel • May 11, 2007 at 9:44 am

“Blasts of Pure Joy”. I KNOW that one.

Keep it up.

During my past 15 months of maintenance, I feel them more and more.

Heather • May 11, 2007 at 10:06 am

#4 — I know what you’re talking about!

I started getting those blasts of joy after I started working out (running)… I absolutely adore the outdoors now, changed from a child who would stay inside all the time reading and writing depressed poetry.

anji • May 11, 2007 at 10:14 am

Well-nourished just means you aren’t lacking any nutrients, etc… you can most certainly be an obese, under-nourished chiquita!

Chris • May 11, 2007 at 10:35 am

“Well nourished” is awesome. Reminds me of when the docs used to write “AMA” on my wife’s charts when we went in for pre-natal checkups.

(AMA = “advanced maternal age”)

Mymsie • May 11, 2007 at 11:40 am

_awesome_

Kery • May 11, 2007 at 12:42 pm

‘Well-nourished’ made me giggle, too. I have no idea if it just means what it is or if it holds a double-meaning, but it sounds funny all the same.

Re: #4, we also have ducks and little ducklings freshly out from their eggs in the park nearby, where I go jogging. They’re so cute, it’s hard not to try to pet one (the mother would probably rip my fingers, though). And dogs who like swimming in the canal in the park. Some are so funny. Every time I see that, i always feel happy and energized for the rest of the day. Maybe it’s the same feeling you’ve got!

starbird • May 11, 2007 at 2:23 pm

Brian – what a great idea to put 1/3 or so of your food into the doggie bag BEFORE you start to eat! From now on, that’s what I’m going to do.

PQ – I’m so happy for you. I agree with the poster above who said you sound like a sun person.

And this is pure poetry – “I am closer to joy now than ever before, like I moved just down the street from it and catch glimpses of it mowing its lawn and getting the mail from time to time.”

Glam • May 11, 2007 at 7:53 pm

My sister’s doc referred to her a “well-nourished” as well, and she’s not a pound over 135. I’d take it as a compliment! ;)

Kyle • May 12, 2007 at 2:53 am

I have no idea how I stumbled across your blog but I am so glad I did. I am so impressed by your weight loss story, and also, completely addicted to the way you write. You have made your story compelling and real, yet somehow absolutely hysterical. I can’t wait for the book to come out!

I have been obsessed with catching up on all the blogging that you did before I discovered you and have been reading about a month’s worth of archives every night (I’m unemployed right now and have way too much time on my hands).

I have laughed and cried and related to so many of the things you’ve said about not only weight loss but life in general, the way you see the world. I have never been obese, but I was fat my whole life until recently. I constantly had doctors telling me I needed to lose weight or I would have health problems. I lost 42lbs and have maintained it off for about 3 years now with only a few major fluctuations. I’m now only about 8lbs away from the 50lb mark, which is nothing compared to your weight loss but, I’m still proud. I’m finally a healthy bmi, and it feels so good! I have been lax about losing the last 8lbs I need to get down to my goal weight, mostly because since this is the skinniest I’ve ever been I’m the same as you…I look at myself in the mirror and think, wow, she’s cute! even though other people may not see that same image. But since stumbling upon your blog I have kicked exercising back into gear and am determined to get rid of those last stubborn pounds while you do the same with yours!

You are such an inspiration, and I admire you so much for your attitude and healthy body image!!!

anonymous • May 12, 2007 at 8:35 am

I’m graduating med school next year, and I write “well-nourished” if the patient is thin (but not cachectic), normal weight, mildly overweight. I write “obese” if the patient is obese, marking it on my physical exam if I can’t do certain things like check liver span on the abdomen, or palpate ovaries on a pelvic exam due to “body habitus” (ie pt is too overweight). So, this is a good sign for you!

A more sensitive indicator would be going to your PCP where you have a full head to toe exam and seeing what they wrote in the physical exam.

For you, I’d probably write “well-nourished”, though ;-)

Julia • May 16, 2007 at 11:21 am

When my dog was overweight, otherwise nice people would say, “she doesn’t miss any meals, does she?” I do prefer well nourished. But it also means you are getting good food and not junk food. You can tell by the condition of hair and nails as well as skin, what nutrients people are getting. So good for you!