Weight: 184 – Pounds left to lose: 24

And we’re back to deflowering the virgin fat. I haven’t weighed this little in my entire adult life. Odd to think Buffy the Vampire Slayer wasn’t even on the air the last time I weighed this little.

Thursday I walked out to my car in the parking lot after work and noticed the front passenger tire was somewhat deflated. I inspected the rim and noticed it was dented, undoubtedly from one of the numerous potholes in the street. If we cooked a roast in every pothole in this city we could feed the homeless for a day. I tried using my Fix-a-flat spray which sprays rubbery gunk into the tire as well as inflates it. However, it was about 30 degrees out and that gunk decided it was too cold to come out of the can.

Spare tire it was! And not the one around my waist, though that one’s pretty deflated too. There was about 20 seconds when I seriously considered calling up to my office and getting one of the guys I work with to help me. But then I thought, “Screw that. I can change my own damn tire.” It was light out and I was in a safe area, so there wasn’t any reason not to.

I spent the next 30 minutes figuring out how to unscrew the tire from the trunk of the car, figuring out how to work a jack and forcing those lug nuts to let go of there clinging need to stay attached to my tire. Grrr, you lug nuts are no match for my new muscles! I prevailed and got the spare tire on there.

At which time I discovered the spare was kind of flat too.

At that point I figured it didn’t matter which semi-deflated tire I rode home on. I got the hell out of there and inflated the tire at a gas station later.

All that kneeling on cold concrete, squatting down to check the position of the jack, forcing those damn lug nuts off – all that would have exhausted me two years ago. But this week I just muddled through it without much physical stress at all. My butt and glutes were a bit sore yesterday though.

Becoming more fit and physically powerful has made me more willing to take on challenges like this in my life. Sure, it’s just a spare tire, but I did it myself! Now I’m going to go to Firestone and get it repaired all on my own too. Look at me, all independent and confident! The pride and accomplishment that comes from physical fitness bleeds into other areas of my life in the most unexpected ways.

Ty • April 7, 2007 at 10:00 am

It is amazing how having the courage to conquer something like losing a great amount of weight gives you the confidence to conquer other things.

I know for me having finally stepped out and joined a gym, has made me realize that I can do anything I put my mind to even if I’m afraid.

Congrats on your weight loss! You really are an inspiration, by sharing your journey you are showing that by sticking with it, you can reach your goal.

thrilled • April 7, 2007 at 11:39 am

How empowered you must feel! Congrats for taking on the challenge!

bazu • April 7, 2007 at 12:31 pm

You Rock!!

Nothing makes us realize how strong our bodies are than when they DO stuff, huh? After I learned how to change a flat and rotate my tires, I felt like there’s nothing I can’t do. It’s the same with exercise, as you’ve shown us. When our bodies do difficult or complicated exercise, we gain a new respect for them.

Kini • April 7, 2007 at 1:19 pm

It is amazing what we can accomplish when we just do it! Good for you in not calling on of the guys to help out the damsel in distress (or at least her car)! Empowering! Totally.

Kini • April 7, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Glam • April 7, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Congrats for tackling the spare tire- both of them in fact! :)

Two more pounds never to be seen again! Woohoo!

jen • April 7, 2007 at 2:30 pm

You kick ass, PQ. But then again, you already knew that. :) I know how to change a tire but I usually call AAA because I don’t want to get dirty — which is sort of sad of me, I admit.

JudiFinneran • April 7, 2007 at 3:12 pm

I am so inspired by you…Seeing you have lost 186 pounds lets me know I too can do the same thing.

Thanks for sharing…

Cheers,

Judi

If you would have any interest in working with others to accomplish what you have please check out my site and click on “become a coach.” There is no cost thru Sunday evening this week.

Chris H • April 7, 2007 at 4:44 pm

You are amazing, VIRGIN FAT…. changing the tyre, and feeling bloody fantastic about yourself… that’s what it’s all about at the end of the day eh? How we feel, not how we look…. though how we look is darn important too, cos looking good makes us feel good…. derrr….I’m not making sense today… chocolate overload. Thank you sooo much for commenting yesterday, I totally appreciated it.

ann • April 7, 2007 at 7:44 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! Your weight loss is fantastic! It would be fun sometime just to make a list of the little stuff (even the REALLY fun stuff like changing a tire without exhaustion, lol) that is cool about losing weight and getting in shape.

ann • April 7, 2007 at 7:47 pm

oooops – didn’t get the post finished. One of my big moments was going on vacation and going on a horseback ride without worrying about hurting the horse! And sitting in an airplane seat and not spilling over the edges. And leaving less of a butt indent in the cushion in the pew at church.

(boy, I’m a deep thinker, aren’t I?)

mac • April 7, 2007 at 11:57 pm

Yes, these victories do bleed over into other aspects of one’s life. In my case, I first quit drinking. Needed my brain big time, if only to get rid of the next vice – cigarettes. To do that after many, many failures required me to define myself as a non-smoker. I hypnotized myself in the mirror: “You are a non-smoker. You are a non-smoker.” Eventually I believed it, stopped smoking cold (no patches or other aids) and have never wanted a cigarette again.

Your feelings of empowerment exactly match mine, it’s just the victories that are different.

Finally, entirely unexpectedly, after YEARS of trying to get to my goal weight, I learned my husband had high glucose and that one good way to bring it down was to walk every day. So, out we went for 40-50 minutes a day. And guess what? I’ve hit my *realistic* goal weight and moved the goal down a few more pounds to my college weight.

Of course, I’ve had a little stress to help – your stress-diet really works. Also, to get rid of the stress, I’ve joined a gym and work out every other day, so I’m getting buff, too! Woo-hoo. I must say you have been a wonderful inspiration to me – I didn’t join the gym until after I started to visit your blog. Thank you, PQ, from another fan,

Mac

Lose Weight With Me • April 8, 2007 at 7:19 pm

I love the the functional aspect of my new found level of fitness.

As I’ve lost my weight, I’ve taken great delight in doing things like changing my own tires, cutting my grass and shoveling snow.

It’s a sign of how far I’ve come by losing weight and exercising.

:-)

Brian

Mymsie • April 10, 2007 at 4:35 pm

Good for you! Very impressive and exciting to experience little victories like this when you realize how easily you accomplished something that might have alluded you or at least caused a light sweat in the past.

P.S. Expect a phone call if I ever get a flat tire! ;)

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine