Weight: 187 – Pounds left to lose: 27

I’ve watched basketball games where one team is ahead for two minutes and then the other team is ahead for two minutes, back and forth, until the winner is ultimately decided by when the buzzer decides to ring. I’m at 187 this morning, but on Tuesday I was at 184. The “success” of my weigh-ins seem to rely on how I’m doing when that Saturday morning buzzer rings, ironically on the first day of the weekend when my alarm clock isn’t buzzing in my ear. So I’m up, but I’m not concerned. I only mention this because I know some of you freak out when I gain, but it’s really not a big deal. So breath deep into a paper bag to stop the hyperventilating.

I was poking my bicep at work this week when it was partially contracted moving my computer mouse and there’s definitely a solid mass there. So either I have an arm tumor or all this weight-lifting is starting to work. Some of you told me to measure my upper arms with the tape measure before starting, but it’s like trying to kiss my elbow. With all the arm flab it’s difficult to get an accurate reading anyway. Until my T-Shirts start bursting off my arms like The Incredible She-Hulk, I’ll trust my instincts on this and assume my muscle mass is increasing.

Melissa • March 17, 2007 at 1:55 pm

You have a great attitude about it, I hope I can remember this when my scale goes up instead of down, like it has been! I love the feeling of new muscles, it makes you feel so strong.

Debbie • March 17, 2007 at 3:30 pm

I wouldn’t worry about 1 pound. You’re gonna get there. That’s obvious.

Chris H • March 17, 2007 at 3:49 pm

Yep, a small increase is not “jump out the window” stuff for sure. Maybe you are getting muscles… and hey, they weigh more than fat! Good on you for persevering.

BrightAngel • March 17, 2007 at 4:06 pm

Good attitude.

Bouncing is definitely part of the weight-loss and maintenance routine.

I’ve found it helpful to watch the highs and lows of the bounces. Success is shown by the fact that both the highs and lows of the bounces get lower and lower.

Rah • March 17, 2007 at 8:01 pm

Remember my previous post about your pattern of threes [when you posted your graph]. You tend to have three “holding” or even gain weeks, then drop [not an perfect pattern, but certainly a trend]. You have lost an amazing amount of weight, and your attitude alone is amazing and inspirational!

Dena • March 18, 2007 at 12:53 am

Hey,

you sho should try the MyoTape for taking your measurements. Take a look here:

It really simplifies the measuring process…

Mymsie • March 18, 2007 at 12:47 pm

No reason to be freaked at all! You’re doing great :)

Samiam • March 18, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Yep, small weight gains happen, not a big deal! I experenence them myself all the time. I read somewhere that the most accurate way to measure weighti s to weigh every day and take the average at the end of the week and then to compare weekly averages. Now I am not nearly organized enough to keep track like that, but I kind of keep a running average in my head! Keep up the awesome work! I’m a couple of pounds behaind you! hehehe, It’s nice to read about someone else who happens to be the same height who is in a simialar place!

Jen • March 18, 2007 at 6:15 pm

I just stumbled across your blog. I weight 372lb right now, on the first day of my weight loss journey. You are such an inspiration. Thank you and best wishes!

Lulu • March 18, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Can you do an entire entry dedicated to loose skin and how you’re handling it? You’ve mentioned it before but I would love to hear more about what you have to say particularly since you lost your weight over a longer period than most gastric bypass patients who were your size. I’m curious as to whether it’s an issue for you and if it is, what you think you will do about it (if anything).

If this is too personal a request, I understand.

Thank you.

Lose Weight With Me • March 18, 2007 at 9:28 pm

I’m glad you’re not upset about what the scale said. Did you know that your weight can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds in a day.

Much better indicators are what you see in the mirror and how your clothes fit.

lovelines • March 18, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Haha. I love how you’re less concerned with the scale weight than your readers are. :) You know it’s the averages that matter anyway.

holly • March 19, 2007 at 5:55 pm

Ha! I’ve spent the last five exercise sessions watching my arms on the elliptical machine because I can actually see slight muscle definition as I flex, not just fat jiggling. I thought I was alone in the fascination with small changes in body composition. Nice to know I’m not!