Weight: 188 – Pounds left to lose: 28

Oh, okay, I’m down two pounds from last week. Whatever, body. Didn’t you notice I ate too much bread and a cupcake last week? Sometimes my body is like a referee that’s looking the other way and makes the wrong call.

That’s still up one pound from two weeks ago, so my weight chart is getting as jagged as a hacksaw blade. Maybe I can manipulate my weight loss so I draw a picture on my chart. If I gain weight next week and then lose it and then gain it again, I’ll have a pair of vampire fangs!

I think the weight lifting is going well because it is causing me pain. Last night when my cat started kneading my chest right above my boobs, I yelped as if he’d pawed my nipple. I evidently have muscles there. And they hurt. I was going to go look for a bench at Goodwill or Play It Again Sports, but it is snowing again, so I’m going to stay home. I’m so ready for winter to be over, even if it means I have to buy a whole new wardrobe again.

damn • February 17, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Well done!!

What do you mean by a “bench.” Like a wooden bench for your yard? Some kind of sports thing?

PastaQueen • February 17, 2007 at 1:37 pm

I need to be elevated above the floor when I do some of the weight moves, so any bench will do. Weight benches are typically designed to hold a lot of weight, but I’m just doing free weights, so honestly a piano bench would do. Whatever I can find on the cheap is what I’ll get.

Chris H • February 17, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Lucky for you your “body referee” doesn’t have instant televised replay then… lol Hope those indulgences don’t come back and bite you on the arse next week, as they often do!

Janice Bridge • February 17, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Yes, the challenges of nearing the goal, will continue – as will the vampire teeth on the chart. .. . .but over time you will notice the vampire has the lopsided grin, because consistently the up lines will not go quite as high, and the down lines will go a little lower each time.

Although it may be difficult to deal with in the short run, the kick boxing and the weight training MAY result in some higher scale numbers – muscle weighs more per cubic inch, and the process of muscle building results in your body retaining more fluids. However, keep with it and then the weight numbers will gradually continue the decline. (Short term disappointment will result in some long term victories!)

Be sure to let us know when the fancy scale you weigh on begins to show you some lower body fat percentages!!

Janice Bridge • February 17, 2007 at 4:09 pm

One thing I would ask you to watch for is your change in clothing sizes in the next four months. You may even want to use a tape measure and measure some critical areas (waist, bust, hip, of course, but chest above the breasts, thigh, calf, and upper arms as well.)

In my weight loss, the changes in body size and shape all seemed to occur in the last 40 pounds. IN the first 90 pounds down, I went from a 26 to an 18. In the last 40 I went from the 18 to a 10!

c • February 17, 2007 at 5:31 pm

yes! i second the measurements thing! We readers know you love charts, graphics, etc. :)

BrightAngel • February 18, 2007 at 9:13 am

Congratulations on your recent loss.

Remember, make haste slowly. While I do lots of daily exercise, I am VERY cautious of overdoing to the point of injury, which can really set one back.

Sorcha • February 18, 2007 at 9:44 am

Good Loss! If you have a stability ball, you can do some of the free weight stuff by laying on that; plus, you get the added core involvement to keep your balance. For some of my tricep work, I just kneel one knee on a chair, or go into a lunge position. Whatever works and I don’t need a bench at all.

I went down 2 lbs this week too–only 7 to go now!

me • February 18, 2007 at 11:24 am

Looks like Sorcha beat me to it, but you can do pretty much every free weight exercise on a ball that you can do on a bench. And given that, you would be able to cover every muscle group. A couple to try – wall squats are a good one to start with for legs. For triceps, try doing dips on the ball – be really careful the first time you try, though!

If you have a ball, be sure it’s rated for using free weights. I have a sissel ball that I’ve been using for years and love it. But, it’s not very cheap. For a possible bargain, try looking on ebay or craigslist for the core secrets ball and I imagine you can find a good deal that will come with a DVD or two. That ball is very good, too. I still prefer my sissel, but that’s probably because I used it for so long before I got the core secrets one.

Can’t wait to hear more about your adventures in weight training. :) What do you have for fitness equipment now?

jen • February 18, 2007 at 12:17 pm

I’m weird but I sort of like that soreness from weight lifting. It’s a reminder that I worked hard. You won’t be sore once you get into the groove though.

Those unfair calls go both ways, so just consider this a payback for those times that you did everything right and gained — I’m sure it has happened somewhere along the way.

I love the charts and graphs thingies too, but posting measurements online would be scarier (at least to me) than posting my weight!

Joy • February 18, 2007 at 5:00 pm

I started weight training with a trainer about 3 years ago. I needed the incentive of an appointment and paying someone. I swear it is the BEST thing you can do. You’ll be shocked by how much smaller you get – even if the scale doesn’t budge! You’ll also be thrilled with how strong you become. It’s not only cosmetic, but practical! You’ll probably notice it when you are carrying pails of kitty litter or something… suddenly “hey, this used to feel heavy!”.

Definately take measurements because the scale can get scary when you’re using weights and seeing the measurements change can really take the sting out of a bad scale day.

You really are such an inspiration! I can’t wait until your book comes out!!!

Tonya • February 18, 2007 at 5:49 pm

http://fabulousandthickgirl.blogspot.com/ Because of you and my sis’ I’ve started my own weightloss blog. Don’t get excited though, I have no gift for writing.

I love the burn of lifting weights. I’ve just got back into exercising, putting cardio back in and will bring the strength training back after awhile or sooner, who knows with me. Congrats on the weight loss. -Tonya

Clam-bake • February 19, 2007 at 1:40 am

On the subject of candy, have you tried the new chocolate covered Altoids? They’re fabulous, decadent, and have less than 8 calories each. I’ve only had the cinnamon. The dark chocolate is reminiscent of a Junior Mint. I suck on them, and having just two of them seems to be an adequate sugar fix for me. They’re pricey, though – $2.99 for a tin.

Eleonore • February 19, 2007 at 9:59 am

You probably know this already, and a few people have mentioned it, but–at this point, with lifting weights being added to your regimen, it’s likely you will continue to LOSE fat but GAIN muscle, and, cc by cc, muscle is heavier than fat. Maybe get your %body fat measured? Or, simpler, using a tape measure or clothing sizes. :) Sorry if I’m pointing out the obvious!

the veggie paparazzo • February 20, 2007 at 8:53 pm

Yay for being 2 pounds down!

ozzy • February 20, 2009 at 12:53 pm

i weight 188 and im 18 5’9 is that good for me .?

oh a my over weight.??