Weight: 193 – Pounds left to lose: 33

Ouch! For the record, I did pop into the 180′s for three days at the beginning of the week before heading upwards again. I haven’t been pushing myself much lately as far as exercise is concerned, so I need to kick it up a notch. It’s nice to know that I can do what I’m doing and basically maintain, but I still want to lose more. The kickboxing class in two and half weeks should help with this. I’m also going to start doing weights again, which is something I always knew I should be doing but haven’t. Kind of like how everyone says “The Office” is a funniest show on TV, but I still haven’t watched an episode. Jim, Pam, who? That will probably cause my weight to stay steady or even gain some more when I first start to build muscle, but the long term pay off will be worth it.

summer • January 27, 2007 at 11:47 am

Girl, don’t worry about it! remember, you dropped from 201 to 195 with no bouncing around 197s, no 198s — you got to skip all that. This is just your body adjusting.

In fact, it’s probably good for your metabolism to be eating and maintaining a couple weeks before you start kickboxing.

And you MUST rent The Office Season 1!

Jenna • January 27, 2007 at 12:06 pm

On weight goals…

When I was a 22-year-old newlywed, I worked out with a trainer that everyone in my office was raving about. He put me through all of the usual fat pinching tests, then we sat down to set a weight goal. (For any of this to make sense, I must tell you that I am 5 ft 8 in.)

“You’re lean body weight is 140 lbs,” he informed me. “So is that my goal?” I asked. My trainer looked flabbergasted. “NO! That’s what your bones, muscles and organs weigh, with no fat.” My first thought was: Great, I could be the fat-est anorexic ever. Luckily he went on.

“A woman needs a minimum of 20 lb of fat for her body to function normally. So the least you should ever weigh is 160 lbs. But that is very lean for you. If you are interested in reaching a normal percent body fat you should weigh 172-175.”

I don’t know how you arrived at your 160 lb goal, but I don’t want it to be an arbitrary number from a heinous BMI chart. You might be closer to your goal than you think. So go to it, Pasta Queen, get what fat you have left pinched and find out where you really need to be.

Rachel • January 27, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Ugh, so glad I’m not the only one who gained this week! Even though it’s mostly my fault. SIGH! Next week… Next week will be mine.

lovelines • January 27, 2007 at 4:49 pm

Ooh kickboxing! That plus weights should definitely speed up the weight loss. I heard kickboxing is a killer workout!

fatkat • January 27, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Maybe the extra muscle will boost your metabo!

Hang in there.

kat

karaokekitty • January 27, 2007 at 6:21 pm

I hear you. I lost a bunch just prior to the holidays, then picked up a bunch of lousy past eating habits, and have munchied my way up 7 pounds. Ouch! I guess we all have to look at the big picture and remember the weight we’ve lost and how far we’ve come.

P.S. Just found your site and I LOVE it! I esp. love the 3D progress pics. I might have to give that a try. I’ve been working on a similar blog site dedicated to the 101 Reasons I Hate Being Fat. I hope you can stop by and check it out!

Congrats on your success!

misa • January 27, 2007 at 8:51 pm

Hi PQ — Just wanted to chime in w/ encouragement and relate that I am so impressed by you.

Melissa • January 28, 2007 at 12:47 am

Kickboximg will be an awesome way to blast some of those extra pounds you want to lose! One thing I hate about being a big woman is how easily I can gain a pound or twelve pounds with just a wince of the eye. Luckily, I know I can lose it…and then some. I hope and pray that the weight you want to lose comes off. My goal is to figure out why runners run for so long. I know that seems silly to think of, but as a fat person who never truly ran for sheer sport of it I don’t simply know. I hope to one day soon. Good luck! I always am inspired.

Jay • January 28, 2007 at 9:55 am

Uh girl…. You really need to remedy this situation.

Getting back into the 190′s?

Having never seen an episode of the office. That’s just wrong. Do you have itunes? I had the same problem as you and missed the entire 2nd season so I bought a season pass for the 3rd season on itunes for $25. Worth every penny. Then I bought the dvd’s for the first and second season.

Best weight loss thing I ever did.

Okay it had nothing to do with weight loss. Just general well being. And thats important too.

Janice Bridge • January 28, 2007 at 1:16 pm

Hello and heads up . . . right now, and for each and every day for the rest of your life, you will have exactly three options concerning your weight.

you can lose weight

you can practice maintaining your weight

you can regain weight

It is my sincere belief – based on 40 years of struggling with the scales – that establishing a ‘goal’ can contribute to the down fall of many dieters. Once the dieter reaches the goal, s/he says, “Yes! I did it” and then promptly returns to eating and exercise habits that add pounds. OR, if the dieter struggles and struggles and can’t reach the established goal, s/he says, “Crap, I am a failure. I might as well admit it and just be fat!” And then head to the supermarket or fast food emporium for the favorire forbidden food.

Reality of weight is far less absolute. Reality is, if you weigh anything above a BM! of 19, that the lower your weight, the healthier you are. Instead of viewing yourself as 33 HEAVIER than the mythical goal, congratulate yourself for being 190 pounds HEALTHIER than you were when you began this journey.

For any number of reasons, your body might be ready for a period of maintenance. A time to let your body adjust to the most recent pounds lost. A time to experiment to see what ‘normal’ eating and ‘routine’ exercise are required to hold your average weekly weight at this level.

Erin • January 28, 2007 at 5:55 pm

I, like Jay, am a bit appalled that you haven’t seen The Office. I think, based on the exquisite humor in your writing, that you’d really like the show.

As for the other issue…maybe your recent post about diminishing returns is going to be the reality for awhile (or at least until the classes and the weight training starts up), but at least you’re not popping back up into the 200s or higher. You’re simply incredible with what you’ve done, and moving up and down the scale a bit as you adjust to your new thin life is totally okay.

mal • January 28, 2007 at 8:48 pm

I might have to agree with Janice. I’m not sure how I would feel if someone had said it to ME, but I wonder what would happen if you just focused on a “maintaining” perspective for a while?

I know you wanted to reach your “half of me” weight and I can get behind that. But then maybe your energy would be best spent in finding a “sweet spot” — a day-to-day lifestyle which involves an amount of exercise that you can reasonably fit into your life, a focus on food that you can sustain for long periods of time, and a new relationship with your new body. I don’t know.

I definitely admire all you’ve done. I just think that at your stage of the game, it must be really hard to adjust to yourself as you keep trying to change.

Take these comments for what they’re worth, since I don’t know you and I can’t imagine what it is to live in your body vs. live in my body. But, from all that I’ve read and all the women I’ve known, you’re entering difficult territory. Of all people, though, I trust you can keep your wits about you!

sweet_talker • January 29, 2007 at 1:03 am

I found your blog sometime last week, and have faithfully read through all the posts you’ve made until I got to this one today. What a crazy journey you’ve had, and you tell it so well! I was wondering, as you mentioned 3 Fat Chicks, do you post on there? Just out of curiosity.

Also, I LOVE cardio kickboxing and have found it to be the most efficient way to tone my body ever. Yup.

dg • January 29, 2007 at 6:35 am

There’s a sense of impending doom in some of the comments but i reckon you have your feet on the ground as always :) adding in kickboxing and doing some weights sounds like a great way to shake things up and get things moving.

daBaum • January 29, 2007 at 8:07 am

I agree with dg. If everyone has been following along with you, then they should know that negative self-talk is not your style. You’re not worried about this bump up, why should they be? Close your eyes, cover your ears, and just keep on doing what you’re doing, cause you’re doing it well.

deanna • January 29, 2007 at 1:35 pm

i discovered your blog last week (i spent about 2 hours at work reading almost every entry, jeeze louise, thank goodness boss man was out of the office) and am addicted. you are an amazing gal, with such beauty (at any size mind you), courage and strength. i admire you, and so enjoy your blog. i love your writting, the progress reports, your humor and honesty. you inspire me to treat myself with dignity and respect, and if i occasionally drown myself in onion dip and chips – that’s okay too. keep on fighting the fight, you are almost there… and you have the support and prayers behind you. and yea, start watching “The Office”, with your sense of humor – you will LOVE it!

sadinoel • January 30, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Weight training rocks. For me, it’s soothing to count down the reps. It’s like meditation. Kickboxing should be a blast. I would love to knock the chit out of ne’er-do-wells who cross my path.

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada