Two Years

In case you don’t read the comments, the blog was mentioned in the Wall Street Journal’s Blog Watch column yesterday. You have to have a subscription to read the whole column online, which I don’t. So I braved the cold Indianapolis winter and parallel parked for the first time in half a year to buy a copy from the bookstore downtown. Thanks, WSJ! Now that I am famous, I will need an entourage. Any volunteers? Sorry, I don’t offer health care. I’ll need some bling too, so my entourage’s first task will be to scour the local pawn shops for shiny rich stuff.

After two years of losing weight and blogging, I’ve lost 180 pounds and I got a nice mention in a national newspaper. What other things could I have achieved in two years?

I could have:

• Gotten an associate’s degree in business, so when I take over the world I’ll also have a very nice marketing plan to pitch the cardiovascular benefits of trench digging.
  • At an episode a day, watched almost all of the 400 episodes of The Simpsons twice.
  • Paid off 2/3 of my car loan, thus owning everything from the trunk forward.
  • Run a campaign for president, if I were older than 35 and the thought of politics didn’t induce bulimia.
  • Painted half the ceiling of the Sistene Chapel and eliminated my underarm flab.
  • Developed a video sharing site more popular than breathing and sold it to Google for $1.65 billion dollars.

There’s a lot you can do in two years. Here’s to 2009 and the possibilities ahead.

christie • January 30, 2007 at 10:54 am

Wow, so impressed that you ended up in WSJ. There are some interesting accomplishments on that list you created – but personally I think yours of losing 180 lbs is the best one!!

jae • January 30, 2007 at 11:07 am

How cool! Did you ever think you’d be so famous? And to think, we all knew you when… ~j

Tiff • January 30, 2007 at 11:21 am

I love it!!! You crack me up…

Shrinkingmom • January 30, 2007 at 11:29 am

How cool! Congratulations on your fifteen minutes of fame!

Debbie • January 30, 2007 at 11:51 am

With the WSJ boost in traffic, maybe you’ll get enough clicks on your ads to pay off that car loan. Good luck.

Aunt Annette • January 30, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Can I carry your crown and scepter for you once your pawn shop scavengers find them for you, Pastaqueen? You rock, Jennette! And I know you’re just getting started! What does Warhol know?! I think a big audience eagerly awaits more of your wit and insight and that people will be noticing you for even more than the proverbial 15 minutes! Rock on!

Janice Bridge • January 30, 2007 at 12:39 pm

I respectully announce that I will serve as Pacific Coast coordinator of entourage duties!!!

amyt • January 30, 2007 at 12:48 pm

my friend with the master’s in creative writing is jealous about the mention we got, life is good.

the veggie paparazzo • January 30, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Congrats on the WSJ mention!

Debbie • January 30, 2007 at 1:55 pm

amyt,

That’s funny about the friend with the master’s in creative writing. Congrats to you as well.

Life is good.

lovelines • January 30, 2007 at 3:04 pm

Wow! Good job on getting into the WSJ!

mal • January 30, 2007 at 3:07 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! No one is more deserving, of course. You have just chosen this course and stuck to it, and it’s very inspiring to see that. People talk about the rewards of weight loss all the time — skinny jeans, cardiac improvement, romantic notice by strangers — but no one ever mentions the press. :)

BG • January 30, 2007 at 4:04 pm

After two years of losing weight and blogging, I’ve lost 180 pounds

Umm. That sounds pretty darn good to me. :)

‘Grats on the article. That’s pretty cool too.

Allison • January 30, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Way cool! Congrats!

Ezpy • January 30, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Wow!

I wish I could think of something more clever to say, but that’s really really impressive. Congratulations.

Though honestly, the 180 is more impressive to me than the WSJ. Not that that isn’t impressive you understand!

bazu • January 30, 2007 at 7:33 pm

Woo hoo! congratulations, you deserve it. Who said blogging was just a hobby…?

Chris H • January 30, 2007 at 8:02 pm

WOW,I just found your site, you look amazing! I know how it feels to drop some weight, I started at 127.7 kgs (280.9 pounds) and got down to 67 kgs (147.4 pounds)…. but have put a bit back on and am trying to lose it again. You are inspirational, and look bloody fantastic!

Kalyn • January 30, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Well even if there are a lot of other things you could have been doing, getting mentioned in the WSJ is big for a blog I’d say. Way to go!

v'ron • January 31, 2007 at 9:57 am

“I’m somebody!!!! This is the kind of exposure that makes people.”

– Navin R. Johnson.

karaokekitty • January 31, 2007 at 10:03 am

Let’s see… in two years I’ll be somewhere near my weight goal, finish school, buy a house, get married? Wow, I can’t wait for the next two years!

Bree • January 31, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Wow! Congratulations. I wonder how much traffic you will pick up on account of this recognition? You already have a great following it seems. I love to check in. Thanks so much.

PastaQueen, does this add any pressure for you to continue being successful or does it make any difference? Just curious.

Thanks. You are a great motivator to me and many others.

lme • January 31, 2007 at 4:08 pm

So has your blog traffic gone up considerably with the mention in the WSJ?

PastaQueen • January 31, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Various peeps – The traffic has gone up a bit, maybe 300-400 extra unique impressions on the day of the article. Traffic has been up 40-50% just with the start of the new year and all the new dieters poking around the Internets.

Bree – I wouldn’t say there is any extra pressure. It’s nice to be recognized though :)

Bree • February 2, 2007 at 9:09 am

I wanted to ask you something, but didn’t want to post it on your latest post about the big news. Congrats again, btw. You are very deserving. I’d like to sign on for the future weight loss tv show. hehe

Seriously, I’ve been meaning to ask you something. Do you have a running shoe preference? I’m stuck. I don’t find anything these days that gives me the support I need since I’m so heavy right now. Thanks so much (if you get the time to reply). I know things are chaging for you right now so time may be little.

Anyway, thanks if you are able to reply. If not that’s okay. Take care.

-Bree

Aunt Donna • February 2, 2007 at 10:06 am

Jennette, you rock!!! It has been wonderful watching your transformation the past two years–I swear your smile is 500 watts! You guys out there, you have to see her in person to really appreciate how svelte she looks! Congratulations on the book deal. You so earned it by putting yourself out there (I’m shy about doing even this!)–I look forward to reading it and enjoying your humor!

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

Site Meter