They don’t eat like birds

Birds of Prey is a comic book about a group of female crime fighters, complete with witty dialogue, endearing female friendships, and lots of ass-kicking. It’s also written by a female author, Gail Simone. Basically, the only way it could have been more engineered for my liking is if they printed it with chocolate ink. Black Canary is my favorite character, not just because she looks great in fishnets, but because she loves food! See exhibits A and B behind the cut.

I find bacon is the least judgmental of all the breakfast meats

People think I travel because I'm so dedicated, but the truth is, it's the food

It’s so refreshing to see a woman in the media genuinely enjoying food and not feeling a smidge bit guilty about it. And why should she? When you’re battling crime bosses and perfecting your flying kick every night, you’ve got to carb load. It’s particularly enjoyable to see a woman pigging out who’s thin. Typically on TV shows it’s the fat character that’s seen stuffing their face, as if we wouldn’t notice they were fat unless they had a drumstick lodged halfway down their throat.

Of course, Black Canary sometimes lets her love of culinary delights come in the way of her work.

And her love of dairy did put her life in danger once in a way that had nothing to do with lactose intolerance

Don’t worry, she worked through the bloat and came out victorious. If I wasn’t having some loose skin issues, I might consider dressing up as her next Halloween. I’m sure she’d love the candy. Though fishnets and a leotard at the end of October don’t sound very appealing. How do these superheroines do it? Does all the leaping and kicking and dodging keep them warm? I get chilly on the trail in a sweatsuit when it’s only 50 degrees out.

I think her influence is wearing off on me though. I was scanning the adult education classes locally and I’m seriously considering signing up for Turbo Cardio Kickboxing. What makes it turbo? I have no idea, but I’m willing to find out. Hee yah!

aj • January 19, 2007 at 12:08 am

I remember being amazed at how well Buffy could run in heels. Non-super-heroine-me, I sprain an ankle at the slightest jog.

Elizabeth • January 19, 2007 at 12:09 am

Pasta Queen – Sorry this has nothing much to do with anything, but I saw your comment on my blog about Battlestar Galactica! I’m actually kind of nervous that Starbuck is a cylon (she’s my favorite character) – but I’m not sure she is. What do you think?

Who knows who these last five crazy cylons are. Are you excited for the next new show? I am really way way way more excited for Sunday night than anyone has a right to be.

xena • January 19, 2007 at 10:28 am

Hey PQ – I took karate for 5 years, and loved it! I truly felt like a Xena, kicking @$$ and taking names. So, yeah, I’m biased, but I totally think you should check it out.

K • January 19, 2007 at 12:40 pm

So now I just have to ask if you’ve seen this:

Comparative Sex-Specific Body Mass Index in the Marvel Universe and the “Real” World

Written by the incredibly erudite Karen Healey, who also has a comics blog in which Birds of Prey has featured – indeed, it’s the only other place I’ve come across the Black Canary character. (Does she have fake hair for when she’s being a superheroine, I wonder? And what on earth is the deal with that blue dress?) But I digress.

christie • January 19, 2007 at 12:59 pm

That looks like such a fun comic!! I’m going to have to check it out.

PastaQueen • January 19, 2007 at 1:32 pm

K – Thanks for the link. I’ll have to check that out. Black Canary is a bottle blonde, but her hair is the same in and out of costume.

dg • January 21, 2007 at 6:26 pm

damn, great stuff! they’re sexy wenches. i love their arms! i want arms like that…

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine