Fat-iversary

Today’s my two year fat-iversary. It was back on January 15, 2005, that I started losing weight for real after more false starts than a spooked horse at the Kentucky Derby. Strangely, I noticed I have the same fat-iversary as Diet Girl, but then decided that’s not so weird considering how many people go on diets in January.

When I started, I was hoping to reach goal in two years. We’re a bit behind on that. I might be dieting, but losing 200 pounds in 2 years was biting off more than I could chew. At the time two years seemed like forever and a day, so I couldn’t bring myself to set goal for any longer. Here’s a chart of my losses, the red line being the trajectory for hitting goal on time. Click on it for the bigger version:

Click for full size chart

Through April I was outpacing the red goal line, thinking this would be easy peasy. Then I started keeping pace with it, but by June of 2006 I’d crossed over to the other side of the line. Now I’m about as far behind schedule as a government-run road construction project. It doesn’t really matter since the timeline was something I arbitrarily picked because I wanted to chart in years. Who would ever picka strange amount of time to hit goal in, like two years 7 months and 12 days? Years are just easier. But I would like to be at goal by the end of the year. Here’s hoping!

dg • January 15, 2007 at 10:29 am

dude! b’day twin! and your graph is freakin amazing, down down down all the way :) there are few things in life more satisfying to look at than a good graph. happy fat-iversary to ya!

Jen • January 15, 2007 at 10:30 am

I have every faith in you that you will hit (and even be maintaining) your goal by the EOY. Persistence is key…you’ve proven that from your start. And as long as you are on a downward trend or maintaining you’re heading in the right direction. Keep up the great work! You’re an inspiration to us all!

Susie • January 15, 2007 at 10:35 am

Happy Blogiversary to you… That’s a truly impressive graph – such great progress the whole way. You rock!!

Susie • January 15, 2007 at 10:35 am

Fat-iversary, not blog-iversary, but a noteworthy date no matter which!!

jodi • January 15, 2007 at 11:28 am

happy anniversary and keep up the good work… i think the whole ‘losing weight’ mentality is easier when you accept it will be difficult and that you’ll hit bumps in the road… what would we all blog about if that wasn’t true??? you’ve come a long way and will get to your goal – believing that in your heart is more important than what a graph will ever show… :o)

jodi • January 15, 2007 at 11:28 am

r • January 15, 2007 at 11:32 am

Girl, that is an AMAZING accomplishment. And I don’t think you should think of yourself as “behind” — I mean, a) you aren’t a robot from the future, you are a human being, and b) the slower you go, the more time for your body to adjust and keep it off. So it’s like, any “delay” is just extra oil in the machine to keep the weight off.

Also, like, I think you need to start wrapping your mind around the fact that you are no longer “fat” at the PRESENT, even as you work towards goal. I mean, I’m 5’9″ too, and there isn’t a massive diff between 160 and 190 — at 160, you will likely look “tall and skinny,” but at 190, you look “normal” and healthy and beautiful.

I think it’d be cool if you tacked on another, non-weight-related goal too for the end of the year that we your readers could all cheer you on in. I don’t know– maybe running some kind of distance, or doing an advanced Pilates tape or something. :)

Debbi • January 15, 2007 at 12:30 pm

A very happy fat-iversary to you, PQ. Your accomplishment is a true inspiration, and your even-keel attitude is an example to live by. I’m inspired every time I read a new post, and every time I crawl back through your archives.

We have the same amount left to lose at this point. I hope we’re both there by the end of the year, but if not, at least we won’t be where we used to be.

Samiam • January 15, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Happy Fat-iversary! Your graph is amazing! I hope we both make it to goal by the end of this year!!!

Janice Bridge • January 15, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Wonderful graph – great map of the journey thus far.

Weight loss is seldom linear. If you were to compare the decrease in weight to the body mass at the time – you might get a more linear expression.

On the brighter side – each pound lost now actually represents a greater reduction. When you weighed 372 you had to lose 37 pounds to reduce by 10%. Currently 20 pounds represents that same 10% lost.

But, as you noted in an earlier post, the number of calories required to support your body has also decreased

Guess it is a trade off. . . ups and downs. . . so to speak

K • January 15, 2007 at 4:42 pm

Nice graph ;)

I think the idea (from the last post) about celebrating when you reach “half of you” is brilliant! Can we throw you a virtual party? Have you got an Amazon wishlist, even?

AJ • January 15, 2007 at 6:03 pm

Is there anything better than a graph for really making something plain? The plain truth is that you’ve rocked the graph and based on the past two years, look set to continue charting down. Well done!

ladyjay • January 15, 2007 at 6:36 pm

It’s definitely going in the right direction! I’m so impressed.

Janice Bridge • January 15, 2007 at 7:10 pm

K is “right on”. . . . you have been (and continue to be) an inspiration to us all. . . . let us help you celebrate being HALF OF YOU. . . . a reasonable Amazon wishlist would definitely be in order!

jen • January 15, 2007 at 7:51 pm

It’s funny, I did a chart for my blog, then came over here and saw yours. It’s a charty kind of day, I guess. You’re doing GREAT.

Alpha Mom • January 15, 2007 at 8:07 pm

Wow, you are one amazing woman! I’m writing from Nerd Central, so being able to see it on a chart really spoke to me. Did you notice the trend of three’s? Not every time, but once you got past the initial, amazing weight loss, there’s a definite tendency for you to gain/maintain for three weeks, then lose. That is encouraging to me–it will help me to remember to hang in during the rough times because it will all count in the long run. [I'm one of those January starters, too, but just getting started this year.] Congratulations.

Zanitta • January 15, 2007 at 10:32 pm

Happy anniversary! I’m sure you’ll do it this year, you’ve been amazing so far!

english muffin top • January 16, 2007 at 6:34 am

Cool chart! Happy fativersary, youre doing so well.I’m temted to make my own chart now, shame it will prob go up more than down! damn you christmas treats.

digsite • January 16, 2007 at 9:07 am

that last few pounds are always hardest anyway. Isn’t that what “they” say? I’m sure you’ll be on target by the end of the year tho!

Tiff • January 16, 2007 at 1:08 pm

Woman! What you’ve done is amazing and based on that keen observation, I see no reason why you won’t be at goal by the end of the year! Keep up the outstanding work and I am looking forward to the 3rd anniversary when you will be maintaining…

Annie • January 16, 2007 at 1:33 pm

You have done awesome. You have had an over all stead weight loss. It was an great looking graph. Wish mine looked like that…it’s more zig zaggy. LOL

Marla • January 16, 2007 at 1:42 pm

What a beautiful picture. I would definitely frame that.

I am a little jealous that you’ve had no significant plateaus or backsliding. Do you realize how unusual that is???

Sharon • January 16, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Oh my, you have lost sooooo much, and I am just starting out, it seems like forever away. Fantastic job!!!!!! Keep up the awesome job and dont worry about timelines!

Hugs,

Sharon

Patty • January 16, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Way to go on your wt loss start anniversay! You are doing awesome, it doesn’t matter how long it takes, you will get there.

Lea • January 16, 2007 at 6:47 pm

Long time lurker here! I just wanted to tell you how inspirational you (and your blog) are. What you’ve accomplished is absolutely amazing, and it really gives me hope that I will also be able to meet my goals. I am terrible at computer stuff, but is there an easy way to create the kind of graph you have?

PastaQueen • January 16, 2007 at 7:35 pm

r – I might enter a 5K in the summer when it’s warmer. I’ll keep you posted.

K & Janice – Well, I don’t want to go around whoring for presents, but since you asked I put together an Amazon.com wish list. I tried to just make it full of healthy stuff, but couldn’t think of much I needed right now, so I stuck other stuff in there, and some She-Ra of course :)

Alpha Mom – I’ve got two words for you regarding the “trend of threes.” Menstrual cycle. If you’re clever you can figure out when I’m ovulating :)

Marla – There were some plateaus, in the 260′s and 230′s. It’s just that two months look pretty dinky up there, though it seemed like forever when it happened.

Lea – I use a program called “Fit Day” to make the chart. I think you can use a program like Excel to make one too, but I don’t know much about Excel.

Anabell • January 16, 2007 at 11:24 pm

I had a rush of motivation. I justwant to lose weight so I can have a pretty graph like yours.

Lea: I can make you a graph like that in Excel, if you like. Email me.

v'ron • January 17, 2007 at 9:32 am

I was planning on posting my graphs soon, too, but been waiting to analyze my trendline. (this happens when you have a job where you practically LIVE in Excel.)

Your goal vs. Actual trendline is good. BUt I love graphs. You can learn a lot from them.

Bree • January 19, 2007 at 9:24 am

The link for “Jen” (second comment) is bad. It made me close out to get out of it. Just wanted to let you know. Thanks.

Andrew • January 22, 2007 at 9:48 pm

You’re inspiring! I wouldn’t feel bad about crossing to the othe side of that line — you’ve made steady progress, and continue to make progress! I hope I can have a graph like yours to show off next year.

Olivia • January 31, 2007 at 3:43 pm

I started my quest to lose weight on Jan. 15 this year. I wonder where I will be in two years?

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine