Not Peachy

I am deeply disappointed that in this age where we can clone sheep and attach a human ear to the back of a mouse, we still cannot make fresh peaches available at Kroger all year round. What happened to my peaches?! I only started eating peaches during the summer and if I had known they’d suddenly be taken from me like the Lindbergh baby snatched in the night, I would have taken care to enjoy them much more.

I’m still catching on to the fact that fruits go in and out of season. It seems like I can get apples all year round, but other fruits come and go. I know, I know, I can get canned peaches. My grandmother lived on a farm and did lots of canning in her time. When she died two years ago, my aunts and uncles cleaned out her basement to find strawberry preserves older than some of my cousins. They dumped them in the woods for the benefit of the local raccoon population. Or as an attempt to kill the local raccoon population. Take your pick.

Why can’t we get fruits all year round? It’s got to be summer somewhere. My only guess is that the fruit would rot before it could be shipped to the store. And there aren’t enough greenhouses or artificial environments to grow fruit nearby and be able to stock entire grocery stores with produce. I need to find a chart that tells me when fruits are in season so I can avoid this heartbreak in the future.

Lily • December 5, 2006 at 11:05 am

Before you resort to canned peaches — try frozen ones. They are much better, because they were frozen while fresh. They look like fresh and don’t acquire the can “slime.”

Just a thought.

galnoir • December 5, 2006 at 11:20 am

Ask and ye shall receive:

Personally, I’m spoiled by good farmer’s market produce and other local sources of fruits and veggies. My husband and I gorge on fresh tomatoes from July through about September, but I almost never buy them from the grocery store during the rest of the year. Ditto apples from the U-pick orchard all through September and October.

But I do second the recommendation on buying frozen fruit — it’s tastier than canned, and more nutritious (in fact, a lot of frozen produce is better than fresh because it’s flash-frozen after picking, preserving the nutrients, and not trucked halfway around the world to sit around for weeks, leeching precious vitamins0.

K • December 5, 2006 at 11:35 am

If you eat fruit and veg that’s in season, you can bask in the satisfaction of not doing so much damage to the environment – all that jet fuel just so we can eat peaches in January… (If this sounds holier-than-thou, it probably is. I’m about to go and make a cake with bananas. Which do not grow in Scotland and certainly wouldn’t in December if they did!)

On the other hand, out-of-season fruit is so expensive, and not as nice; it’s usually been picked while still unripe, so it won’t go bad in transit.

The blueberry season is apparently still going here, because of a mild autumn. I love blueberries so I’m very happy to be able to eat them without guilt! And the cranberry season has (of course) just started…

scone • December 5, 2006 at 12:10 pm

Peach trees are from more temperate climates, such as the mountains of Iran, through Central Asia and parts of China, where it snows in winter. They need a period of chilling in winter and heat in summer, to put sugar in the fruit, but not tropical heat. So to get peaches in December in the Northern hemisphere, they would have to be imported from a compatible climate in the southern hemisphere, and most of that is tropical. You might find some from Chile, Argentina, or Tasmania, I suppose. OTOH it might not be profitable to grow them down there, as peaches go bad quickly and the trees themselves have a short life span. You might try a very la-de-dah gourmet grocery store, they sometimes have out of season fruit at Xmas.

Monica • December 5, 2006 at 12:56 pm

Honestly, I like it that we still have seasonal fruit. The fruit that we have all year round never tastes as good. Also, out of season fruit, such as strawberries in January always tastes and looks like crap. I’d rather have small, red, locally grown strawberries for 3 months a year than gigantic, orange, waxy strawberries all year long.

Also, it gives me something to look forward to. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, haha.

I’m a bit of a health nut lately though, and I tend to get preachy about these things. And, you know big business, the environment, genetic engineering… yadda yadda

Debbi • December 5, 2006 at 1:39 pm

I agree with Monica, who appreciates that fruit is seasonal. Right now clementines are available, and their season is very short. I’ve yet to buy my first box, but it’s on my list and I’ll be at the market today.

Hope you got warmed up yesterday!

Heather • December 5, 2006 at 2:39 pm

Millions of peaches, peaches for me… millions of peaches, peaches for free…

Hmm, I haven’t noticed not being able to get any fruit, just way more expensive, and not quite as tasty.

Perhaps now is the time to sample some new types of fruits and veggies other than the old standby’s?

Of course, I’m also for anything that disses winter (boo, winter, how I hate it) and advocates a return for the spring/summer/autumn (that are all quite mild down here)— so BOO for not being able to get fruit right now! :)

number 1 fan from texas • December 5, 2006 at 5:39 pm

I religiously read your blog and I’ve recently lost 20lbs with you as my thinspiration! only 96 more to go. ha

peaches are my favorite so i feel your pain. FROZEN is indeed the way to go. I spend an insane amount on fruit becuase i have a huge smoothie for breakfast.

much love

A–

Laura • December 5, 2006 at 5:47 pm

I know that dried fruit is generally considered a bad choice when you’re on a diet, but dried peaches are pretty good (the taste gets nice and concentrated), fairly substantial (as opposed to something like raisins) and work well with stuff like oatmeal.

We still can get peaches here in the South (USA), but they generally aren’t as tasty as a big, sweet, juicy peach slurped down during the tail end of summer.

One comment about citrus–different varieties ripen at different points during the year, so it’s easier to get fresher citrus for a longer period of time (you just have to learn to appreciate different varieties and different tastes)–and be willing to pay a premium for the better flavor.

I look back on the years I had orange, lemon and grapefruit trees in my backyard and wonder why I didn’t gorge myself when they were in season:-)

Mymsie • December 5, 2006 at 6:02 pm

So true. I’m bummed because I can’t get fresh, ripe, luscious cherries anymore. LOVE cherries. Sad without. Apparently also compelled to eliminate articles from comments. Off in search of seasonless vittles.

AJ • December 5, 2006 at 6:26 pm

I have your peaches! And your day light saving, nectarines, mangos, cherries and happy, sunny Christmas breaks!

I’m gloating aren’t I? If it makes you feel any better, in six months it will be me whinging about inflated prices, running in the dark and limited food choices…

But till then, I will take the hint and better appreciate the joys of summer. :)

Hilly • December 5, 2006 at 7:12 pm

I am having Nip/Tuck flashbacks ;)

Marshmallow • December 5, 2006 at 7:45 pm

Mwuahaahaa!

I mean…

Awwwww!

We have peaches here, and believe me, we would love to export them to the US, but try telling your president that >_

Samiam • December 5, 2006 at 7:45 pm

gotta go with the others on the vote for frozen! Thats mainly how I buy fruit these days, doesn’t go bad before I have a chance to eat it! :)

R • December 5, 2006 at 8:52 pm

Yes, but I just bought large pomegranates for 1.50 each – this is their season. Why buy peaches for that much instead?

sha-dess • December 6, 2006 at 12:28 am

i dont have anything to say about peaches or fruit in general, i just wanted to say hi b/c im seeing your site for the first time today… k, thanks.

Narelle • December 6, 2006 at 5:49 am

Here is Australia peaches are just starting to come into season. Can send you some however they might be a little mushy by the time they get there!!!!

vickie • December 6, 2006 at 6:41 am

FROZEN – Gordon’s – I am quite near you – and we have Gordon’s so you probably do too.

Blueberries, peaches, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries – all FLASH frozen and very measure-able.