Weight: 203 – Pounds left to lose: 43

Only a quickie today because I gotta run (in a metaphorical sense, not a knee-pounding, cardio work-out sense). Still about 203 this week (202.8 to be exact, but let’s just round, shall we)? I’m fine with holding steady, just as long as I don’t gain!

Also, Pora recently posted a lot of info to the entry about finding bras with small cup and large band sizes, so if any of my fellow tiny-titted women are having problems finding a bra, you should check it out. Though honestly, who doesn’t have a problem finding a bra? Thanks, Pora!

mahaa • November 5, 2006 at 7:23 pm

Wow, just when I thought that I was the only fat girl with the small cup size problem … the internet comes through with helpful advice yet again! Now if only they made bras with different cup sizes for my small yet lopsided boobs (A on the left and a B1/2 on the right).

kalmia • November 5, 2006 at 7:52 pm

I envy anyone with a small cup size.

Burry Katz • November 5, 2006 at 8:13 pm

I’m surprised you’re not concerned that your weight loss has stalled. Are you not concerned that you mayt have plateued?

PastaQueen • November 5, 2006 at 10:48 pm

Burry – Um, do you read my blog? :) I’ve mentioned this in past entries, but I’m at a point where most of the things that bothered me about being fat are gone, so however long it takes to lose the last 40 pounds is fine with me. I’m not really in a rush. I’m in it for the long haul, so if it takes another year or two that’s how long it takes.

Country Chicken • November 6, 2006 at 10:05 am

PastaQueen,

Don’t listen to the naysayers about plateaus! I’ve been on a plateau for the past three months, but I haven’t gained back any weight.

In the past when I was on a diet, I would become frustrated, and slowly regain back the weight, pound by pound, week by week. That I have maintained my weight for three months is absolutely amazing to me.

I reflect on this weight loss journey as a personal experiment. Exercise is the one thing I have kept consistent for over a year. Sometimes I visit blogs of gastric bypass patients and I envy the ease with which the pounds drop off their bodies. Twenty and thirty pounds per month — no problem! Last week, I looked at a blog with updated before and after pictures, and I wanted to cry for the woman. She lost 160 pounds in nine months, but the most recent pictures show a woman whose face has aged twenty years. Also, for the rest of her life, she will have to take 50-100 vitamins and enzymes daily and visit specialists on a regular basis. This is probably more work than dieting and exercising.

In an ideal world, people would be able to easily reduce calories and increase activity levels. But if it were that easy, most people would have lost all the weight they needed to already.

The more weight I lose, the more of a struggle I encounter trying to keep the weight off. I may intend to consume no more than 1400-2000 calories a day, but implementing this, day after day takes extreme concentration. It is very easy for people who have never had weight issues to just tell a person to “eat less and exercise more”. Why don’t people just “earn more and spend less” and they can attain wealth?

Country Chicken

BethK • November 6, 2006 at 11:43 am

Those are *great* links! Thanks to you and Pora for posting them. I’ve always thought that it was terribly unfair that that I never managed to get a decent sized rack to balance my top and bottom halves. Even at 190, I just barely filled a B. For years I’ve relied on back-extenders (sometimes daisy-chained together) to get something that fit me reasonably well. I keep hoping that as a prize for finally reaching a healthy body fat percentage that I’ll get to keep the B-cup. I think that’s fair…

And now I’m going bra shopping!

Janice Bridge • November 6, 2006 at 1:11 pm

Hi Burry –

I do encourage you to read the blog from beginning to date – it is a refreshingly direct blog – and incredibly hopeful. I continue to be amazed and MUCH about Pasta Queen, and wonder if the admiration would be enhanced by knowing her in all facets of life, not simply her blog ( 2000 miles prohibts the reality).

A word about plateaus. Plateaus happen. Even living an active life on a VLCD (800 calories per day) I managed to plateau for up to three weeks at a time. As I return to real food and monitor my intake, I am looking for that plateau – the place where what I am eating and what I am using for work and play come into balance.

If YOU are worried about a plateau (and this is for the fellow commenters not for PQ) one thing that may help is to change the emphasis on what you are counting. Most of us who are working to move into a lower weight body, are successful only if we are recording what we eat and what we do to burn calories. If you are recording Weight watchers points, switch for a couple of weeks to actually recording calories. If you are recording calories, switch for a couple of weeks and focus on recording fiber and protein. If you are South Beach phase two, switch for a coupl of weeks back to phase one.

[BTW, if you are interested – suggested fiber count in grams is 1/5 (20%) of your weight. . . .divide your weight by 5 and that should be your target for grams of fiber. Grams of protein should be in a range between 1/2 and 2/3 time your weight in pounds. PQ has set her goal weight at 160 so for her the target in fiber would be 32 grams and her range of protein woul be 80 to 110 grams. Sorry for my lack of skills in the metric but I don’t know the conversions for ranges in kg.]

bitchwhoblogs • November 6, 2006 at 9:45 pm

PQ – As a fellow plateau-er, I have found your attitude regarding your plateau inspiring. While I am sick of being on my plateau and pretty much bitca about it nonstop- I also know that its part of the game. And its beats just giving up and gaining the weight back. Thanks for the reminder that a plateau is still a victory.