Weight: 199 – Pounds left to lose: 39

Yay! My foray into the 100′s wasn’t just a fluke and has held for the official Saturday weigh-in. This is my second official weigh-in in which I’m no longer obese according to my BMI. I feel a civic duty to call up the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and tell them to decrease their obesity statistics by one thousandth of a percent. I’m sure they’ll get right on that.

Jenna • November 18, 2006 at 1:03 pm

Good for you!! *whisper* I’m so super jealous. I want to be in the 100′s.*whisper* It’s taken a lot of work for you to get here, so go for it–call the CDC!

Whit • November 18, 2006 at 1:49 pm

Congrats! Do ya thang! You are def on your way to being smokin’ HOTT!!! (Visit my page for a look at some smokin’ HOTT dresses and heels!)

bitchwhoblogs • November 18, 2006 at 6:40 pm

Congrats!!! I just crossed over to being overweight myself in the last two weeks myself and its pretty great to not be obese. You continue to inspire me.

nita • November 18, 2006 at 7:01 pm

I am another person who recently slipped out of the obese classification. This rocks my socks.

Maybe if you call up the CDC you could report on all 3 of us?

Many congrats.

K • November 18, 2006 at 8:01 pm

*grins*

*fails to have anything worth saying, but gives a friendly wave*

Jax • November 18, 2006 at 9:55 pm

I just discovered your blog and read the entire thing. Thanks for being so inspiring and such an entertaining blogger. I’m curious, though, as to where you stand now on the “loose skin” issue. How’s that working out for you? Does it seem like it’s going to be a problem? I hope that’s not too nosey.

beckah • November 19, 2006 at 2:27 am

wa-hoo! way to go. that’s really awesome, i can’t wait until i’m able to see 199 on my scale.

Mike • November 19, 2006 at 7:46 am

well, i salute you. simply as that.

i really only checked out your site, because the link was sent to me by my fat friend (i use that word lightly. this may be wrong or not, depending on any given persons perception of tact, humour and honesty) who is on a similar mission. (i salute her too, just by the way).

i am scrawny and always have been. at the moment i weigh 134.5 pounds. i am also male, so that’s not necessarily a good thing. it’s really the same issue approached from the other side.

so what i did was recently start exercising. and picking up weight. and losing it again. and picking up. it’s hard as hell, but as you say, it can be done, and you’re doing it.

so, rambling on here, i guess what i want to say is thanks for being an inspiration. it’s not about being skinny or being muscular or looking like whatever idiot is smiling at you from the billboards. it’s about body. feeling good in it, taking care of it, being healthy, feeling fit and making your very own individual, paticular frame proud.

and i think everyone who’s having a go at this can be extremely proud, just for that…

Hilly • November 19, 2006 at 12:02 pm

WooHoo, Carrots!

Doesn’t it feel great to have the second number so SMALL in comparison to the first…you accomplishment???

What is your reward when you are done?

PastaQueen • November 19, 2006 at 1:31 pm

Jax – The skin is definitely getting looser. I notice it most when I’m in a plank position doing Pilates in my sports bra and my stomach dangles down beneath me. I doubt it’s going to shrink too much more, but I was expecting this so it’s not that big of a deal.

Mike – You make a good point. I think I get stuck in the “fat, female” perspective of the world, but guys do feel pressure to be “built” just like girls feel pressure to be thin. Thanks for the persepective.

Hilly – My reward? Um, being thin? Heh, I don’t really have a reward planned. I’d like to hit goal by my brother’s wedding in August, in which case I guess my reward would be a dress with a size in single digits. Maybe I should go think of a cooler prize.

Samiam • November 20, 2006 at 9:15 am

wohoo!!! :) way to go!

Adrienne • November 20, 2006 at 9:21 am

Congratulations! Your posts are so inspiring … thanks for giving me (and, I’m sure, countless others) a little extra motivation and confidence that we can lose the extra weight.

Janice Bridge • November 20, 2006 at 12:15 pm

I am Thankful for PastaQueen and this Blog. . . .

This is Thanksgiving week and I need to tell you how pleased I am that my daughter sent me the URL to this blog. Thank you PQ for your self assurance, confidence, perseverance, and perspective.

As I prepare for this week I will use three skills that PQ has honed and shared in this blog:

(1) I will plan ahead and KNOW what my investment (in food calories) might reasonably be. Just as PQ researched beer so she knew what the trade offs would be; I am researching the foods that I will find most enjoyable . . . turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberries, salad, etc. And I will set for myself a reasonable limit of enjoyment, based on the research

(2) I will NOT let what other people say or do negatively impact my eating decisions. No matter how much my mother, son, Aunt Tillie, or Uncle Fred, try to make MY eating into THEIR business, I will maintain a smile and my equilibrium – these are MY choices. I am practicing the smile and phrase, “Oh thank you, but I think not now.” and “Certainly I enjoy _______(whatever food is being pushed at me) but I am passing on it for now.” AND if I Have to. . . “Please appreciate my decision and support me in this.”

(3) I will anticipate that I may lapse – perhaps an extra serving of mashed potatoes, or a pecan praline – but I will NOT allow a lapse to become a re-lapse or a collapse. . . .PastaQueen has told us all that we do NOT need to be perfect dieters. . . and there is life to be enjoyed. . .

Thanks for the blog, PQ – and please everyone – enjoy the holiday!

Dee • November 20, 2006 at 5:37 pm

Congratulations on getting into ONEderland AND not being obese any longer! Whoo-hoo! Apparently even when I hit my goal (150) I’ll still be overweight…ugh. Maybe I can grow taller? D

yo • November 20, 2006 at 10:49 pm

PQ, your blog is so fascinating, and I am so proud of you, but I kind of get weird sense you are still living in the 370s in your mind. [yes, I know I don't know you personally, but just from your blog]

Like, I kind of get sense you have put the whole “guy” thing on mental hiatus for years and years. I mean, I want you to ask for lasik/contacts for Christmas and start embracing your femininity and sexiness. I sense you have unresolved issues with that. I sense you have some catching up to do in terms of your sexuality and stuff that the weight might have stunted.

In a sense, you will have to learn to stop defining yourself by your weight, or by your loss of it.

I think you should try joining some local activity to meet “new” people who never knew you when you were heavy. Like, some kind of book club, church group, volunteering group, etc. etc. Just explore that whole side of life –living in your new body–a little more.

I think you need to explore the “new you” and give her a chance to spread her wings.

Yes, I know I don’t know you, but if you were a fictional character in a book I was reading, I’d root for you to do the above. :)

also • November 20, 2006 at 11:00 pm

also (and please don’t flame me for telling you how to live, but I have to say it) — have you thought about getting a place with your mom and splitting the costs so that you will have more money to do the things you want to do?

I read your blog regularly, and I hate to see you agonizing over too much money spent on outsized clothes, you saving up for Lasik, etc. etc. I want you to be able to enjoy your twenties now that you are thin. I mean, you don’t even have any rewards planned with respect to this huge accomplishment! Why not get your hair colored or get Japanese straightening or something.

I used to be a lot like you — I hated spending money on myself. but you need to treat yourself right.

yo • November 20, 2006 at 11:06 pm

Pq — you might find this an intriguing read:

“My Life as a Thin Person

People like Lisa Marie Sohr, who lose 100 pounds or more with stomach surgery, find that with their new bodies often come new friends, new spouses, new lives. But happiness is not a foregone conclusion.”

PastaQueen • November 21, 2006 at 1:18 am

yo – I know you mean well, but it’s pretty annoying for a stranger on the Internet to be telling me what to do with my life. I also have absolutely no idea what Japanese straightening is, nor do I think I’d want it since I dig my curly hair. As far as money goes, I’m not eating out of dumpsters. Cashflow is fine, I just don’t have golden bathroom fixtures. As far as my social life goes, it’s something I’ve known that I need to work on for months and was part of the reason I moved out on my own, actually. How am I supposed to have this hopping social life if I’m rooming with my mom? I’m not a fictional character in a book, I’m a real person, and while I do share parts of my life in this blog it hardly represents all the facets of my life or my personality. So, while I know you mean well with your advice, I’ve got things under control and I’m quite happy with my life these days.

v'ron • November 21, 2006 at 8:29 am

YESSSS!!! I’ve been away and I’m sorry I missed the breaking of the big 2-0-0 — I’m so looking forward to that number myself, I don’t know why, but there’s something about breaking a big number that really seals it.

Lordy, you’ve come a long way, and your pictures — you look great. And from your writing, you SOUND great too, over the archives I can feel a better attitude.

Mymsie • November 21, 2006 at 6:44 pm

This is SO wonderful! Congrats :)

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine