Weight: 199 – Pounds left to lose: 39

The day after the day after Thanksgiving and I’m still in the 100’s. Turkey’s may say “gobble, gobble,” but PastaQueen didn’t listen to them. I indulged in some holiday treats – bourbon balls, pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, and double fudge cheesecake – over the course of two days, but never totally pigged out on anything.

After two years I think I’m just starting to get the hang of having to eat outside of my normal habits. Yet it’s still a battle every time. I came home Thursday night after a somewhat emotionally unsettling event and had to keep chanting to myself, “You do not want to eat half your fridge. You do not want to eat half your fridge.” And even then I ended up eating a pear and half a carton of cottage cheese. Good thing there wasn’t any pie laying around the apartment. That would have been the culinary equivalent of leaving a loaded gun lying around.

On Friday we visited my extended family and ended up hiking around some acreage my uncle had bought to build a new house on. I got to use the word “acreage” in a sentence! I also went on a little walk/temporary-escape-trip with some cousins, so I got a lot more exercise in than I expected. When hiking around the lot, which used to be a nursery farm complete with some leftover Christmas trees, I was quite proud that I wasn’t even getting winded when two years ago I would have collapsed after a quarter mile.

Now we just have to get through Christmas.

Marly • November 25, 2006 at 12:15 pm

You and me both, sweetheart. I’m not even really trying to lose weight but went from 135 to 131 these past two weeks. There is something to say for portion control. :)

Janice Bridge • November 25, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Congratulations Pasta Queen . . . . Thanksgiving is the first of the incredible month PLUS of struggles for those of us who are interested in maintaining a lower weight body. . . and YOU were SUCCESSFUL!!

I wonder if your chant was more like,”I DO want to eat half the frig, but I want to stay in the ONE’s. DO want to eat half the frig, but I want to stay in the ONE’s” Because, truth be told, many of us find full comfort from the stresses of emotional turmoil – in favored flavorable foods.

Your alternatives were excellent – cottage cheese has a very high protein to calorie ratio. . . most brands are about 15 grams of protein per 100 calories. I blend a pint of cottage cheese in my blender with about 1/4 cup milk, 4 sweetner packets and a teaspoon of vanilla. . . and keep it on hand as a special treat when things get stressful! 3/4 cup of this with one sliced apple for dipping. . . .and I can get through just about anything!!

Your hike sounded wonderful as well. I continue to be amazed at how much more enjoyable movement is now that I am not carting around the additional pounds. In your case. . . imagine what it would have felt like to carry forty-three 2-liters of soda with you on the hike.. . . Life in the lower weight body has MUCH going for it

christie • November 26, 2006 at 4:56 am

What a great job, PQ. Very well done. I hope I can follow your example :)

congrate • November 26, 2006 at 12:28 pm

congrats, PQ! that’s great

You might find this article in today’s NY Times about fat studies interesting. It’s on their homepage:

“In a few cases, fat has emerged as a theme through research, the traditional academic route.

Robert Bucholz, a history professor at Loyola University, in Chicago, has spent years trying to figure out why Queen Anne, the British monarch who reigned from 1702 to 1714, has gotten so little attention. Britain prospered under her guardianship yet, “few people even think about her,” he said. Finally, he figured out why: She was fat.

“I didn’t even realize that what I was talking about was fat studies,” said Professor Bucholz, who presented a paper on the subject at the popular culture association’s meeting last month in Indianapolis. “I didn’t know that I was onto something that other people were onto.”

Whitney • November 26, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Oh man! I went home for Thanksgiving and stayed with relatives. There were goodies EVERYWHERE!!! It was tough, but like you, I would just have a tiny bit of what I wanted.

Haystacks • November 26, 2006 at 6:56 pm

Holidays revolve so much around food, it is rediculous.

Eve • November 26, 2006 at 9:55 pm

Hi there!

I have been following your blog for a couple of months now. You have come such a long way but yes I do believe the struggle

never really ends. Anyway congrats! I feel the same only Christmas left to go now!

Good luck Eve

Susan • November 27, 2006 at 8:30 am

I wish I had been as strong as you. I can tell this morning my jeans are snug. I have a hard time having a sample or bite- especially of sweets. I am better to stay totally away- once I put the first bite in my mouth- I am gone. I envy those who can take just a bite and be happy. You are doing great.

Mymsie • November 27, 2006 at 1:50 pm

That’s GREAT that you did so well! I did terribly – I’ve been so worried about doing badly that I kind of sabatogized myself. YUCK. Damn tempting holiday vittles!

Moppytop • November 27, 2006 at 6:38 pm

You have done an amazing job. You look great and I anxiously await to see your post every week. I even showed your website to my mom over Thanksgiving to see all the work you’ve done.

When you started this blog and weight loss journey, did you know that you would really do it this time? You’ve worked on this for such a long time, do you ever look back amazed at what you’ve done?

I’ve had so many starts and stops that I think I’ve lost faith that I can actually do it.

Janice Bridge • November 27, 2006 at 7:59 pm

Moppytop has touched on an issue that I think is critical. . . belief in the ability to succeed.

I have marveled at PastaQueen (when I found your site, I spent a weekend, went back to the very beginning and read straight through) for many reasons. . . and two connect here

(a) unless I was not reading the entries correctly, I believe that this journey, which began at 372 pounds – was the FIRST time that PQ had embarked on a serious weight loss regime. I was 16 the first time someone in my life INSISTED that I be placed on a diet . . .I was 15 pounds overweight at that time – and 160 pounds overweight 45 years later. I applaud the people in PQ’s life who let HER decide when the time to work to lower her body weight was right for HER

(b) In re-reading Half of Me, I am amazed at the total belief that is expressed by PQ – that she WILL be able to lose the weight – that her method of nutritional analysis and exercise plan are valid and will succeed. Many of us would have thrown in the towel at the first plateau or the first serious set-back.

From these two things I extract two truths of dieting

(a) the decision to lose weight MUST be the decision of the person accepting the challenge

(b) you HAVE to believe in yourself and the course you have designed in order to be successful.

PastaQueen • November 27, 2006 at 10:19 pm

Moppytop – About two or three weeks into this I remember driving down the road on the way home trying to figure out what I was going to eat for dinner that night when I realized that I was going to have to do this for the rest of my life. No more stopping at the White Castle drive-through or picking up chicken fingers at Arby’s. But yeah, I’d say I had an inkling that this would work this time. Of course, if it hadn’t worked out then I wouldn’t even be talking about that feeling!

I do sometimes think, “Woah. 170 pounds. Damn.” But it happened so gradually that I’ve had time to adjust to it.

i • November 28, 2006 at 8:47 pm

I too have noticed that PQ’s archives are so positive-focused it’s amazing. Like, in August, you were my current weight, 210ish, and were all “In eight lbs I will no longer be obese.” And then you just went ahead and DID IT — you never, like, forget to blog for a week, or accidentally sit down and eat half a pizza with a bottle of wine, or freak when the scale bounces up a hint here and there. You just calmly truck on. You rule. I think you are a very cool person.

What is really interesting is comparing this blog to the blog of those who have “taken a different path” –to be diplomatic. Like “Hello, I am fat” –the author blogged about her dieting attempts for a couple years, but it’s a much diff read than this.