Weight: 207 – Pounds left to lose: 47

Back down to 207 this week, though my moving average is only one tenth of a pound less than last week. Not really surprising since I’ve been eating too much in the evenings and skipped a night of exercise to go out. Damn you, social life, interfering with my cardio routine! It’s much easier to stay in shape when you don’t have too many other commitments. I don’t know how you moms do it.

If my blog were a corporeal being it would have gained weight this week because of all the spam it’s been eating. For every 1 real comment I get, I get 5 spam comments. My filter catches most of it, but lately more has been getting through and it’s making me reconsider my position on torture just for spammers. I’d love to tie them up with some mouse cord and shock them with their computer power cable. Some of these spam comments are just disgusting, and I consider myself to be fairly liberal and open-minded when it comes to sex.

Anyway, I guess I’m probably in a plateau right now, but I’ll keep working not to let it turn into a gain. I miss the trail already though, so it’s going to be a looooooong winter. I hate how weight loss becomes more and more difficult the closer you get to goal. It’s like when you get stuck behind someone going just a bit slower than you on the highway. So you move to pass, but then the other car starts to speed up! So then you have to speed up way faster than you intended too just to match their pace and eventually get past them. That car you’re trying to pass is your metabolism. Why can’t it just obey the speed limit already? Sheesh.

Vickie • October 14, 2006 at 12:13 pm

If it isn’t too personal of a question – or too depressing -

I am curious about how many plateaus you have hit on this journey, how long they usually last for you, and if there was a pattern to the level (weight) that each occurred? What do you usually do to “jump start” yourself again?

PastaQueen • October 14, 2006 at 1:28 pm

This is actually only my second plateau. My first one was in the 220′s back in the spring and I suspect it was partly because I started doing Pilates and was gaining muscle mass. I think it lasted maybe two months or so. I don’t know if I ever figured out what caused me to push out of it, but I did start pushing myself harder in my exercise and I might have tried some different foods too.

Honestly, the plateau doesn’t bother me that much because I am at a point where I have no problem buying clothes, I fit in restaurant booths and airplanes fine, and I’m happy with my appearance. The only bummer is when I have to come here every week and report on it.

Hilly • October 14, 2006 at 2:56 pm

First of all, not that I am glad you have spam, but I am glad to see that it is hitting other people. I used to log into Gmail and maybe have 20-30 Spams a day and now it is about 150 daily!

I have hit many plateaus along the way and have many different solutions; one is to eat nothing but “real” foods for awhile and stay away from the processed stuff; another is the all-hated increase of work out time and the last one that actually worked for me was taking a couple of days off (not pigging out but eating small amounts of stuff I normally don’t) then on the third day, being all WW nazi with myself and it was almost like it reset and jump-started my metabolism…..anyway good luck and you will break through this!

Janice Bridge • October 14, 2006 at 7:46 pm

A few thoughts on plateaus

1. Plateaus happen. It is just another reality that tells us that what the scientists/doctors DON’T know about weight and the human body is more than they do.

2. Return to the basics. If South Beach has gotten you here, then take the time to do a re-set – i.e. do a couple of weeks of phase one – just to remind yourself of the elements of the program and why it works.

3. Don’t worry about having a life in addition to the diet and exercise – i.e make sure you are enjoying the life that the success thus far has earned for you.

4. Try something new in the way of Purposeful Expenditure of Energy – i.e. maybe vigorous dancing to your favorite tunes on your ipod; or volunteer to weed and rake in a garden in your neighborhood; or see if you can rent a bike to take an hour ride.

By The Way – if I am doing my calculations correctly, you are soon to be TOO SMALL to shop at Lane Bryant. Have you begun to find other stores you like? Have you tried the Coldwater Creek (There is one at the Fashion Mall at Keystone.) yet? Quality clothing, great colors, simple styles.

crankybee • October 15, 2006 at 1:11 am

Hey PastaQueen,

I was just wondering if you’ve ever had emotional plateaus? You know, where you cannot be stuffed withthe journey anymore? You write with such confidence as you move along…ever had weeks where you’ve thought AH ,SOD IT?

Chris • October 15, 2006 at 9:43 am

Just wait it out. You will be moving in the right direction soon enough. These things happen with anyone. Congrats on your success so far!

Heather • October 16, 2006 at 1:09 am

Oooh, ooh, and whip them with a Cat5 o’nine cables. (just keeping with the theme!)

lulu • October 16, 2006 at 4:52 am

It is so lovely to read your comment at 1.28 above. You sound as if you are so busy enjoying life to the full that diet and exercise are simply a part of that process rather than the obsession they have to be when we start off.

Life is just so much easier when you carry less weight. I’m very grateful because, encouraged by your example, I have so far shed 50 pounds (and have another 45 to go), and the difference it has made to my quality of life has been astonishing. I had forgotten what it used to feel like to be agile and energetic. That means almost as much as the visual effects (though the shopping is good too).

I sometimes read Fatty McBlog, where there are some quite vicious exchanges between fat accepters and fat-haters. The issues are always so polarised – dieters are called obsessive, deluded and bitter, or fat people are called lazy, greedy and pathetic. And all the time here you are, quietly getting on with losing half your body weight without losing your personality in the process, proving them all wrong. So – Bright blessings, wherever your journey takes you.

Vickie • October 16, 2006 at 4:59 am

Thanks for forwarding my “mail” on to me – I think that people have to have a blogger id in order to post on my blog because of SPAM. So, that is why her note wouldn’t go through – thanks for taking the time to pass it on!

Charlotte • October 16, 2006 at 7:31 am

Hi PastaQueen, longtime lurker, first-time poster. Have you ever considered turning your blog into a book? Your writing is just great.

Anyway, in re the plateau…it strikes me that this is now your 2nd winter on the treadmill, no? So maybe this year your body is already way ahead of mastery of those workouts, and it’s time to boost things up a notch. Ever consider interval training? Check out the Body for Life cardio workout for ideas. Good luck and keep it up!

Manda • October 16, 2006 at 9:14 am

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep focus of your goal. You WILL reach it. =0)

Lisa • October 16, 2006 at 10:27 am

A book, what a great idea! Yes, put your blog into a book! Your blog is so inspiring, it would be a great book!

PS I have been on a platueu since July. I hit 199 and was so excited to be under 200 that I have held steady at 199 for 3 months. I have to say that I am so happy just holding steady and not gaining. When I feel the motivation to start losing again, I’m sure it will happen.

Maria • August 15, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Just read your book you are quite funny hope your life is great wnet right to the ymca and swam like i wasn’t drowning in jello thanks