Weight: 203 – Pounds left to lose: 43

There’s nothing like new progress pictures to bring out the lurkers. Thanks to everyone for the nice comments on the last post! My head is now as big as the great pumpkin, but thankfully that didn’t seem to affect my weigh-in since I’m holding steady at 203. Good thing inflated egos are mostly just hot air :)

In other news, as both Monica and CalorieLab noticed, the Associated Press is ripping me off! (You both get gold stars for being attentive readers. I bet you aced the reading comprehension section on the SATs!) You can file this under things I could have told you a year ago (and did), but fat people get worse gas mileage than thin people. I guess I need to start issuing press releases, or stick some fancy looking initials after my name. On one of the diet blogs (can’t remember which) someone commented that they were offended by the AP article. Really? You’re offended by physics? Do you have a beef with gravity too for weighing you down? It’s not like the article is implying that fat people are causing an energy crisis. It’s just observing a somewhat obvious fact. More mass takes more energy to transport. Any trucker could tell you that they get better gas mileage when their rig is empty than when it’s full.

blubbah • October 28, 2006 at 3:00 pm

Hah, I thought the same thing.

Yes, big cars get worse mileage than small cars. Loaded cars get worse than empty. Thus, a car full of fat people will get worse mileage than one with five skinny people, or one fat person for that matter. I don’t know why anyone cared enough to actually publicize a logical fact, but fat and sex sells, I guess. (Uh, let’s not do the math of what would totally sell.)

Kelli • October 28, 2006 at 3:35 pm

I have been reading your blog silently for awhile now. I went looking for blogs about losing weight when I found out I was a diabetic. I have alot of weight to lose. Even more then you did from your oringal weight. Anyway my point is I enjoy reading your blog and the comical way you look at things. Your a inspiration, keep it up.

christie • October 28, 2006 at 6:26 pm

I saw that article too, and I didn’t find it offensive… I just consider it another reason to lose weight!

Some people have said things like ‘fat people shouldn’t ride on airplanes, they cause more crashes’ and crap like that… whatever. But at least this article wasn’t blaming the energy crisis on us, as you said. Simply stating a fact.

I just have to say PQ that you are definitely doing something right because you don’t look 203, even for someone who is 5’9″. If I saw you on the street I would guess 175. You’re doing awesome.

Haystacks • October 28, 2006 at 7:29 pm

I wanna be like pasta queen when I grow up.

Sigh. I gave up for a while but am now back on the horse. And let me tell you that 20 lbs is something because I gained about 16 of them and my jeans hurt :(

Wish me luck, the next week is going to be a beatch.

zelda • October 29, 2006 at 1:19 pm

de-lurking to say “you rock!” :)

NicoleW • October 29, 2006 at 9:52 pm

Late to the party, but WOW — you look fabulous in that new progress photo. Awesome job.

reedy • October 30, 2006 at 1:53 pm

hey, found your site totally by accident, but had to post a comment to say that you are doing amazingly well. Im trying to shed a whole load of bodyweight myself, and you are my inspiration for the day!!!

K • October 30, 2006 at 6:09 pm

Oh, did I not comment on the last post? Apparently not.

Not that I can say anything new by now, but – very impressive, as always, though you seem to be going out of focus slightly as you progress… :)

Tami • October 30, 2006 at 10:20 pm

I just came to your blog and had to say you are too funny!! I hate it when people have such and issue with the obvious!

I added some fake Black Friday deals to this store's weekly in-store flyer - Album on Imgur
OMG, too funny!

Humans can sleep for days when living alone underground, experiments show - ScienceAlert
This is probably a sign that I've got problems, but the idea of sleeping for 30 hours sounds really appealing.

Justin Bieber chastised audience for clapping on the offbeat: The biggest challenge facing musicians at shows is audiences with bad rhythm.
I'm linking to this because of the video of Harry Connick Jr. at the bottom, who manages to throw in an extra beat in the middle of a song to get people to start clapping on the offbeat without them even realizing. Mad skillz!