The Fall

I can tell winter is approaching because more and more I have to fight the urge to hibernate in the ice cream freezer at the grocery store. The polar bears on the Klondike bars can be my fuzzy pillows and Ben & Jerry will keep be company as I snooze until March. Right at this moment I’d like nothing more than to unplug the treadmill and curl up in bed until the hummingbirds come back to town.

I know it’s been shown that we eat more in the fall and winter, so I know I’m not the only one feeling this way. Lately the blogosphere has been more like the blah-gosphere. I think from now until the end of the year it’s going to be harder going until we get the spat of newly motivated losers in January. Funny to think next year’s new weight-loss bloggers are about to go on a holiday eating binge which will trigger them to start their blogs in January. I am a prophet! Too bad my abilities don’t extend to the stock market, or at least the plot lines of my favorite TV shows. I hate waiting a week for new episodes. If only I could see who will win “Project Runway” or what the deal was with those polar bears on season 1 of “Lost.” Do they have anything to do with Klondike bars? Perhaps the Others are part of a secret ice cream research station.

To fight the “blahs” I think I’ll make myself try some new recipes. I had dinner at my brother’s the other night and he made a tasty pork dish with spices and chili-ready diced tomatoes that was really good. Yes, my brother can cook without using a phone! Ladies, he’s a real catch. You can find him on Yahoo! Personals. It reminded me that I tend to get in a food rut, knowing what foods are “good” or “safe” for me so I neglect to try new things. Just experimenting with new spices can change the flavor of a dish.

Yesterday was also difficult because while nothing overwhelming bad happened, five or six kind of bad things happened, making me feel down. My DVD burner died on me and my car had problems starting again even though I took it to the dealer and had them “fix” that. I got stuck behind some drivers who should probably paint the words “Student Driver” on the side of their cars for their own protection since I’m less likely to bludgeon someone if I think they’re new and not just incompetent. Then I went to a local clothing sale and got stuck behind two women, one who was buying half the store and another who was buying the other half of the store and paying by check which the cashier had to call to verify. It looked like these women had dumped their laundry all over the counter. All this while the scanners were being used to do inventory so the cashiers had to enter tag numbers by hand. Aaaagh! Shopping is supposed to be fun, not aggravating.

Also, the fact that one woman was spending $432 on clothes irked me more than it should have because 1) that’s more than my brother’s rent and 2) I have to stick to a budget which doesn’t include such indulgences. I tell myself that if you make enough money to afford to do that, that’s great and I shouldn’t be bitter towards people who can spend that much. But the other side of my mind goes into a middle-class, underpaid rage!! Grrrr!! PastaQueen smash!! All my machines are breaking and you’re spending more than my monthly grocery bill on a purse!

To top it off no one told me it was going to be in the 70’s all day, so the sweater I was wearing became a bad feeling amplifier. The only thing worse then being frustrated is being frustrated and hot. I started to feel depressed and though I realized my brain chemistry was probably just a little off and in need of some more serotonin or other multiple-syllable esoteric chemical name, I still felt bummed. It did make me grateful that I don’t suffer from clinical depression because going around like that constantly would be an insufferable state that even a hot tub full of Cherry Garcia couldn’t cure.

I’m feeling better today, but if you see me taking a nap in your local freezer section, feel free to disentangle me from the pillow of whipped cream I’m sleeping in.

Ros • October 9, 2006 at 1:41 pm

Pastaqueen.. I feel your wintery blues.. but really nothing beats the endorphin buzz from a bit of exercise. Any way.. cold weather and ice cream cravings?? At least make it something hot like apple crumble with icecream :)

I promise my weight loss is going to be improving.. as will blogging. I always do better when it gets nastier out… I lost lots of weight over xmas last year. Unfortunately this year I don’t get the holiday.. so less exercise and relaxtion time, but still.. this is the time for the lard busting to continue.

Don’t worry, we all have blah days.. and you woudn’t want to spend that much cash on clothes when you’d be shrinking out of them in a few months..

Rosxx

crankybee • October 9, 2006 at 5:23 pm

Although it doesn’t help that we now have your sun here in Australia, it may cheer you to know that things are just as shit DOWN UNDA, as we say. Daylight saving hasn’t started yet (I’m presumming you have the same clock changing habit?) and now at 5am it’s light. The birds are pissing me off big time. There’s one that goes “errrrunt! errrunt! ERRRRRUNNNNTT!!” (repeat x 20) and it starts mid-tone, and works its way up. This morning at 5.15am, you could have seen me out the front of my inner Sydney house, clutching 3 rocks, squinting at the sky, trying to find the EEERRRRUNNNNT! offender to peg a rock at. On the weekend it was 30 degrees (don’t know what that is in your terms – over 100?) and we had such strong winds there was a gale force wind warning. Hot wind, blowing dirt in my face as I powered around Centennial Park made me so out of sorts I nearly punched someone. I also have to do a Uni assignment on SPORT in HIGH SCHOOLS. I am studying to be an Art and English teacher. I don’t care about ‘duty of care’ for external sport, nor do I want to write an essay on it. So there you go, PastaQueen, a bitch from a bitch to cheer you up!

Patty • October 9, 2006 at 6:02 pm

Know what you mean by the weather changing and wanting to eat. Not so much the ice cream for me, I want the mac n cheese the pasta and the pizza. And the holidays, yikes! It’s an eating event at my mom’s house. I plan on doing the one plate method this year. One plate filled w/ a little of the things I like and that’s it! I will bring the healthy veggie/fruit trays with me if I have to! It should be about the people we love and not the gigantic food display. The weather is still in the 60’s here and at least the rain has gone for now (Seattle). The rain always depresses me a little in the winter, think a lot of us up here have the SAD disorder when the light gets dimmer in the winter. My friend says she has this treatment called a light box that you sit my for a few minutes a day. Hey, if it works, maybe I’ll get one! It seems the w. watchers meetings are busy now but I know there will be a thinning out of people by the holidays an then miraculously there will be huge amounts of new recruits in January! Funny but happens every year I’m sure.

janice Bridge • October 9, 2006 at 11:39 pm

My ALL TIME favorite recipe for when the weather begins to feel like fall – and I am called to hibernate:

Black Bean Soup

Spray a round flat bottomed fry/sauce pan with non stick coating

Sauté about 1/2 a yellow onion – sliced and chopped 30 cal

3 cloves garlic – smashed, shucked and chopped 15 cal

in about 1 T olive oil 115 cal

Sauté until onion is transparent

Open two cans black beans (15 ounce each) 490 cal and 35 grams protein

and one can pinquitos (pink beans) also 15 ounce 260 cal and 21 grams protein

and drop into the pan

And 1T chili powder and

1/2 teaspoon of red pepper.

Lower the heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes

Blend in the blender until smooth and return soup to pan over low heat

Add one cup skim milk 85 calories and 8 gms of protein

Taste and adjust for spices

Total recipe 995 calories and 64 grams of protein

Makes six cups. . . so two LARGE servings or three medium bowls.

Betsey • October 10, 2006 at 8:14 am

I myself am glad to see the hot weather leave for a while. I hate to sweat, and I tend to do a lot of it in summer. I have begun an outside walking program now that the mornings are cool, and it feels great. With some hope and hard work, there will be a lot less of me to sweat by the time hot weather rolls around again!

Barb • October 10, 2006 at 9:00 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one in a fall rut!! Misery love company, i guess you could say :D

R • October 10, 2006 at 2:13 pm

I say this to everyone who wallows the teeniest bit about winter: Buy a Sun Box. I think mine was $200, and it makes me more awake on dark mornings, more happy on rainy days, less likely to eat everything in sight (carbs esp. of course). The company is local to me, so I was able to forego the shipping, but they offered a 30-day money back guarantee to see if you are light sensitive, just pay shipping. I may have to buy replacement bulbs at some point, but it’s been 5 years and I haven’t noticed it yet. Much better than a purse, make it a Xmas present from other people if it’s beyond your budget.

lulu • October 10, 2006 at 2:56 pm

I wilt in hot weather and burn in sunshine, so I love autumn and winter! I love mornings when there is frost on the ground and in the air. I feel confident and secure being well wrapped up in coats and scarves,and that encourages me to walk more than usual. The tourists all go home, and I can spend all day at the castle without seeing anyone else. And I love walking around the headland when the winter westerlies send the Atlantic crashing onto the rocks, and I even love the rain. Home-made soups and casseroles are much more satisfying than salads,and just as healthy. Knowing that Christmas is coming is even giving me more incentive to keep to my calorie limit. Of course we don’t have Thanksgiving here – I can see how that would complicate matters – but what a wonderful festival to look forward to.

And – you are three quarters of the way to your goal? Fantastic! Hope you are enjoying every minute.

kalmia • October 10, 2006 at 8:45 pm

Yay! The hot weather is over! Time to rejoice!!

Yes, it’s true there’s less light, and that may be a problem for those of us who suffer from S.A.D. I think I’m one of them, here in the British Columbian RAINforest, but that doesn’t mean I actually *like* that glaring hot sweaty sun that glares and beats down at me like a relentless judge.

It’s time now for comforting, filling (low-calorie soups), and fires in the fireplace, and brisk walks/jogs through the beautiful rain-swept leaves of autumn, and curling up on the sofa with your cat or dog to write and create and plan and dream.

There’s so much more to life than losing weight, although this, too, is important.

Cherish the season. Ride the horse in the direction he’s going. You’ve earned it.

crankybee • October 11, 2006 at 2:03 am

I like that black bean soup – I’m going to make it, even though summer is looming!

v'ron • October 11, 2006 at 9:42 am

I actually started my blog and my program in November of last year, so I made it through the “season” because I was so jazzed up on it. So I’m trying to get that “OK, time to hunker down and lose weight during a time when even Kate Moss puts on a few pounds” feeling back, and my rational brain says “You did it last year. THere’s no reason you can’t do it this year.”

I have a lovely pot roast in the crockpot to deal with this weather we’re getting.