Leaving on a jet plane

Remember how I had to rearrange my exercise schedule because the sun had audacity the start setting early without consulting me first and I didn’t want to be on the trail at night? Well, two nights ago some guy was waving a gun around a tanning salon in a shopping complex visible from my trail route. What can we learn from this, children? It’s not paranoia if they’re really trying to kill you. Also, tanning can be potentially deadly in ways having nothing to do with skin cancer. Now, to call my brother about that pepper spray.

I’m going to be out of town this weekend visiting my other brother in Boston who doesn’t own pepper spray, so there will be no updates until next week. I know you’re devastated, but please don’t go on any eating binges in the midst of your grief. This also means there will be no weigh-in on Saturday since I won’t have access to my scale. I suppose I could bring it with me, but the baggage screeners would probably just think it was a bomb and detonate it.

I probably should have thought about this before I started weighing myself every day this week since it’s going to leave a huge gap in my data. Oh, well! It’s probably for the best since I intend to sample the local cuisine. While I don’t intend on going to any tea parties or entering any Boston crème pie eating contests, I’m not going to deny myself if I see something that I want to eat that I can only get there. It’s part of the whole “lifestyle, not a diet” philosophy. It’s okay to indulge from time-to-time as long as you realize you’ll have to run a couple extra miles to pay for those extra calories. My AAA guidebook says the Charles River is very popular among joggers. I can sample the local fitness freaks as well as the cuisine.

That last paragraph sounds like a long justification, but it’s true. Eating healthy doesn’t mean you never get to eat cake again. A world without cake is not a world worth living in. Also, I don’t have a deadline I’m seriously trying to meet as far as weight loss goes. It’d be nice to hit goal by my brother’s wedding, but if not, whatevah. It’s certainly good to have a goal so one doesn’t become complacent, but my weight loss is a cross-country trip, not a race across town. You’ve got to stop and check out the world’ largest ball of twine and the giant dinosaur statue on the way. Who wants to stay cooped up in the car the whole time?

Jay Bryner • September 21, 2006 at 9:36 am

The best steak I’ve ever tasted in my life I ate at this restaraunt in Faneuil Hall (is that how you spell it?) in Boston. Don’t remember the name. It was pricey, but oh the memories.

I recently stumbled upon your site and have added it to my RSS feed. You’ve got a good style.

Go Red Sox!

Mitt Romney For President 2008

Crumpet • September 21, 2006 at 9:46 am

I lived in Boston for several years – it is a great city for walking. You can walk around the Charles and over the bridges, or follow the Freedom Trail through the city.

For eating – I totally recommend lunch at the Top of the Hub (restaurant top of the Pru), dinner at East Coast Grill in Inman Sq (oysters!), or the tapas place at the top of Newbury St – the name escapes me. Or near MIT, there is the insanely good Emma’s. Best pizza anywhere. YUM. If you like sushi, there’s Fugakyu in Coolidge Corner.

And there are many excellent ice cream places too!

Have a great time!

Mymsie • September 21, 2006 at 10:09 am

AMEN! Sometimes I forget that this stuff that seems like the middle, “on the way” bit is actually the real thick of it. This it it – this is life! We should enjoy it and not always think, “I’ll be happy once I [insert achievement here].” It’s great to have goals but I think it’s also important to find ways to feel fulfilled in the present as well.

Laura • September 21, 2006 at 10:20 am

More important than what you eat may be to drink lots of water–trips on planes and travel in general can really dehydrate and make you retain more water!

kalmia • September 21, 2006 at 10:59 am

One word: shellfish. Enjoy!

Annie • September 21, 2006 at 1:18 pm

You have such a wonderful attitude about your diet. Have a super time in Boston!

Greta • September 21, 2006 at 1:44 pm

Have a WONDERFUL trip!

Amanda Jane • September 21, 2006 at 2:20 pm

I agree with Annie, you do have a wonderful attitude about weight loss, we could all learn a thing or two from you. Have a lovely time in Boston, don’t worry about missing your weigh in, the next weigh in might be a big surprise! Eat, drink and be merry! Amanda Jane :)

Nate • September 21, 2006 at 2:40 pm

“…the baggage screeners would probably just think it was a bomb and detonate it.”

You’re implying the screeners could actually detonate it… so you’re admitting your special scale is actually a bomb! I knew it!!!

v'ron • September 21, 2006 at 2:46 pm

“A world without cake is not a world worth living in.”

Exactly. Its moderation, not denial. Have fun in Boston. The music scene alone justifies its existence.

I am a huge number cruncher by trade, so I understand the bummout on having holes in your data. Oh well, come back and re-baseline. Just because your data gets skewed doesn’t mean you have to.

Di • September 21, 2006 at 3:09 pm

I’ll miss your posts, but you’ll be in my neck of the woods. Make sure you check out Harvard Square, you can get anything there. Clothes, Shoes(Aldo’s), Books, Cakes, Cookies.. Hope you have tons of fun. and BTW don’t bring any drink product on the plane and if you’re flying home from Logan Airport again it’s probably easier to ship your souvenirs to yourself with Fed Ex or even the USPS because they’re getting crazy, even about snowglobes :)

zara • September 21, 2006 at 4:05 pm

bon-bon voyage! *groan* Sorry. ;)

Glad you weren’t involved in the dangerous tanning incident. Scary!

Wise words about eating cake, grasshopper. Mmmm…grasshopper cake.

YP • September 21, 2006 at 4:15 pm

Running and cake compliment each other nicely once you work out the balance between them. Ah, those innocent days when merely thinking about running was enough to justify at least two slices…

Have fun!

Kelly • September 21, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Have a great trip! There are usually a lot of people running along the Charles.

And if you really want to splurge: go to the North End for amazing Italian food and gelato. Yum!

Marly • September 21, 2006 at 10:05 pm

Your analagies are truly inspired, PQ. And I say that without any sarcasm at all.

vimilla • September 21, 2006 at 10:09 pm

So right with the fact that diet never means never eat cake again. It’s all in moderation and modification. My bday was monday and there was pumpkin cake on Sat., chocolate cake on Tues., and DQ ice cream cake on Wed. And a half gallon of sugar free chocolate ice cream with cakes 1 and 2. I shared GENEROUSLY with all 3 cakes so not to over indulge, and it paid off. Everyone got to share the yummy stuff with me and I didn’t gain one pound.

kathryn • September 21, 2006 at 10:10 pm

Stuff like that is so freaky. Last summer someone got shot by a freakin’ sniper on my running trail!!! WTF! There was a tiny story in the paper then nothing. Don’t they realise people want details – I need to know if there was a motive behind it or if it was a random attack.

Marla • September 22, 2006 at 8:04 am

I love the analogy, and the giant ball of twine.

Every year we have sexual assaults on one of the greenway paths, though not a killing yet. I know it’s easier said than done, but maybe you can hook up with a running partner – two people together are definitely safer.

Have a wonderful time in Boston!

Stephen M (Ethesis) • September 24, 2006 at 11:58 am

This made me want to visit Boston …

Wish you well on the SLD. It has been a life changing experience for me.

Jay Bryner • September 24, 2006 at 10:03 pm

Oh yeah! The comment mentioning shellfish. Unbelievable shellfish. Wait until you’re in Texas to go for steak. I think you can go just about anywhere. But when I’ve been in Boston, and more recently New Hampshire (state slogan: Live Free or Die) I had the mussels, and some oysters.

Oh baby. Like you died and went to heaven.