Weight: 217 – Pounds left to lose: 57

Oh, okay, I lost a pound this week. That’s surprising. Since I moved, my scale is in a much more accessible place (namely my front hall closet) so I’ve actually been hopping in and out of the closet about once a day (in a way that has nothing to do with my sexuality) checking my weight. Let’s just say the numbers haven’t been good and we can’t blame the uneven linoleum.

I had mentally prepared an entry for today saying I had proved binge eating on the weekends wasn’t good for weight loss and that I should write up my findings for the Journal of the American Medical Association with some fancy title like “Midwestern researcher discovers ingesting large quantities of pre-packaged diet bars does not precipitate the loss of adipose tissue.” Because it’s well known that if you use enough fancy schmancy three dollar words in a research paper no one will be able to understand what you’re talking about but will never admit it for fear of looking stupid themselves. I totally could have gotten it published, if, you know, the data had actually matched the hypothesis. Not that such a thing would stop some people, but I haven’t fudged any scientific data since the 8th grade science fair and I’d like to keep it that way.

I did do a lot of walking this week, so maybe that made up for it. Or maybe waiting until 11:00 to weigh myself caused enough dehydration to make the numbers go down. Whatever. The big news this week isn’t my weight, it’s the fact that I bought a pair of calf-high boots. Yes!

Cankles no more.

Does this mean I no longer have cankles? I’ve always wanted to own a pair of calf-high boots, but my fat calves always stomped on my dream. In retrospect, I’m sure there must be somewhere online where you can buy boots for the fat-calfed, but I never thought of that before. Now I just need to get a skirt so I can show these babies off. Methinks it shall be my first sewing project with my new sewing machine.

kathryn • July 8, 2006 at 8:16 pm

Great boots!

Greta • July 9, 2006 at 12:47 am

Congratulations on having thin enough legs to buy the boots of your dreams. Must be a great feeling. YOU DESERVE IT! Great job on the weight loss!

Jen • July 9, 2006 at 1:56 am

Ijust peaked at your progress pics. You are looking so good! Congrats!!

Marla • July 9, 2006 at 8:05 am

Oooh, sexy boots! Hubba hubba! I want a pair just like that. Or maybe cowboy boots. I think I have a ways to go with the cankle sitch, though.

7 • July 9, 2006 at 10:58 am

Woohoo! Lovely boots! I’m dying for a pair myself and hope I’ll be able to fit in them by Fall. You should seriously write that paper!! I bet they’d love it! Have a great week!

Mary • July 9, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Congrats on the boots. It is those kind of things that keeps you going and rewards you on how far you have come!

NicoleW • July 10, 2006 at 12:06 am

Wow, nice boots. (I love the fishnets, too!) I’m also cursed with calves that make boot-buying an adventure, but finally found a decent pair last fall.

Christine • July 10, 2006 at 1:28 am

I am so loving the boots! Way to go. I just sent you an email telling you how inspired I am by you and your success but I wanted to post it here as well for all to see! Congratulations!!!

CMRA • July 10, 2006 at 9:04 am

Great boots and congratulations ! I often look at your blog and find it very inspirational. Well done !

amyt • July 10, 2006 at 9:07 am

a skirt is a good starter sewing project, basics. but if you use a pattern, research carefully. the sizes on patterns are not linked to shop clothes, like at all. take your measurements with you so you can compare. or you’ll find it’s a very expensive venture in wrong patterns and wasted material.

Lani • July 10, 2006 at 11:11 am

Those are great boots. Where did you get them? I’ve always wanted a pair like those. In the past, I’ve bought the ones with the zipper but I can never get them to zip without risking getting some skin caught. Ouch!

little miss ess • July 10, 2006 at 11:58 am

Awesome!!!

PastaQueen • July 10, 2006 at 2:49 pm

amyt – Thanks for the skirt advice. I’ll get my mom to measure me so I know I get the measurements right.

Lani – I got them at DSW Shoe Warehouse. And the saleswoman practically wrestled me to the floor to get me to join their frequent buyer program. Man, she was agressive!

Kari • March 13, 2007 at 7:51 pm

Woot! Great boots! I wish I could wear boots like that! I fear I’m relegated to a life of ankle boots. I have ginormous calves, and while there are web sites out there that cater to women with large calves who want boots, they just look ridiculous on me! Believe me, I’ve spent a small fortune trying. Leather-encased stumps, I tell ya. But congrats to you! Love the fishnets.

Wendy • May 16, 2008 at 1:54 pm

I dream of boots! I have severe boot envy!

Some day, my boots will come.

SuperCath • July 15, 2008 at 10:24 am

I’ve been reading your whole archives since the last week (at work, I must confess…)

First, I have to say : WOW!

I’ve started training and eating better since the last few months and I’ve already seen some results, but staying motivated is always the hardest part and your blog is really an inspiration.

Second : oh my god, boots!!! I’ve dreamt of that for such a loooong time!

I think I’m going to keep that image in my head as another motivation to go on with my life change!

Tracy • December 19, 2008 at 6:06 am

Today, as I continued to work my way through the archives, I found this entry. I nearly squealed with excitement. Although in PQ time (is that GMT +3?) I am 2 years late…for me, I am right on time. I hit such a major milestone yesterday that I haven’t stopped glowing. Yes, I have joined the BOOT-WEARING crowd of fashionistas that I have envied for so long! I am 41 years old, and with the exception of some custom-made (only because my calves were too fatty mc fat) riding boots in my youth, I now own my very FIRST pair of lovely leather zip-up boots. And, even better, when I asked the sales clerk for boots made for thick calves, he asked me if they were for me because I certainly DIDN’T need extra-wides! Oh, yes kind sir…I would be happy to lie down on the shoe store floor and let you have your way with me! I managed to stop short of public indecency…but it was perhaps the most wonderful thing any man has ever said to me. And, it turns out, he wasn’t just flattering me. Every pair I tried, fit. Granted there were a couple of pairs that were a bit tough to zip. But, even that fine bead of sweat on my upper lip was tolerable for the end result. In fact, here I sit in my gorgeous new black boots that make me super sexy and pretty freaking tall. (Ok…not SO tall.) But everything is relative, so to go from 5’1″ to about 5’5″ is a big deal. Anyway, enough from me. Back to you, your hard work, charming sense of humor, etc. Hope to leave comments in the present day eventually. Now, would that be the present day or the future? Something to think about.