D-Day and Zeno’s Paradox

I’ve decided August 11, 2007 is D-Day. No, I won’t be storming the beaches of Normandy, though I’m sure that would be great cardio as long as Nazi’s weren’t shooting at me. No, this is the date my older brother just set for his wedding. So it’s 160 pounds or else…I’ll have to buy a bigger dress. Yeah, doesn’t quite have the same stakes as defeating fascist overlords, does it?

This gives me 13 months to lose 57 pounds, which is 4.4 pounds a month, which is totally doable. (Tangent: the word “doable” always looks like it’s spelled wrong to me.) I think that’s also about 56 weeks from now so that’s 1.02 pounds a week, which is about what I’ve been averaging lately.

This brings up an interesting trend that I’ve noticed or at least imagined I’ve noticed – I always seem to be a year away from my goal. Last October on my birthday I distinctly remember thinking at my current rate of loss I’d be at goal in a year. Only that was about 8 months ago and I’m still a year away from goal. What strange twisting of space time is this?

It makes me think of Zeno’s Paradox which, don’t worry, I didn’t learn about in physics class but by watching the movie IQ with Meg Ryan and Tim Robbins. The paradox says that in order to get from point A to point B you must first travel halfway there. Once you get halfway there you must now travel halfway between the remaining distance. Then you have to travel halfway again. You have to continue doing this infinitely which begs the question of how the hell do we actually manage to go anywhere at all? I dunno.

I do however know that we do manage to get from point A to point B. So that means I can definitely get to goal too. And I don’t even have to fight any Nazis to get there!

Greta • July 13, 2006 at 2:18 am

What a wonderful challenge you have set up for yourself. I imagine that YOU will be getting more attention at your brother’s wedding than your brother and his wife. Being a 6 year “loser” myself I can tell you that weight loss gets slower, and slower and slower so I am not at all surprised that you still have a year to go. I think that it’s easier to actually MAKE IT to goal if you have a concrete timetable that’s reasonable.

Mark • July 13, 2006 at 2:39 am

“Doable” (pron. dwah-BLAY) is a French word meaning “itchy or tingly.” I think you mean “feasible.”

Here’s another goal: Vow to sew your own dress for the wedding. After all the work you put into it, you’ll really be motivated to fit into it.

You might want to make your own shoes also.

janey • July 13, 2006 at 3:40 am

Great Goal – I’m sure you’ll do it! Imagine how proud of yourself you’ll be! Good Luck!

Ros • July 13, 2006 at 6:45 am

Good Luck for your new goal, I have every confidence that you can do it. The battle is nearly won, its just keeping going, even when things go wrong. You are doing so brilliantly. You are my inspiration :D

Eh... not so much • July 13, 2006 at 6:56 am

I know you can do it! And giving yourself a defined goal will really help you focus. Rock on with your skinny self!

Michelle • July 13, 2006 at 7:41 am

You can do it, and we’ll be cheering for you the whole way!

Lani • July 13, 2006 at 8:35 am

I do this all the time and I always seem to be the same amount of time away from my goal. It’s ridiculous. I hate slow weightloss. I want at least 3 lbs gone each week lol.

Debbi • July 13, 2006 at 9:44 am

Rock on, PQ! It’s been very helpful to me to have given myself a year to reach my goal. Of course I didn’t know about the Paradox. Hmmm.

Connie • July 13, 2006 at 12:01 pm

That is a WONDERFUL goal, and you’re right – it’s completely doable. In fact, you are motivating me – I have about the same amount to lose. Mind a little company on the way? We can stop at all the ‘halfways’ and check our progress – and our sanity! Best of luck to you my dear. I’ll be cheering you on, and following in your footsteps.

Peter Audrain • July 13, 2006 at 12:14 pm

I have found it really helps to chart my weight. I can see what’s happening. When I’m not charting, I’m not really losing.

Keep us posted on your progress toward goal–it’s pretty inspirational. (Even–especially?–reading about your stagnating or falling off the wagon, then getting back on again.)

It might be a good idea to aim for 5 pounds / month, just so there is room in there for one or two weeks of nothing happpening, and you can still shine at the wedding.

Like Connie, I will try to follow along at about the same rate! Maybe you should post “progress towards goal of losing 57 pounds by August 11″ as a separate little thing in the sidebar to help us keep up. I still have 45 pounds to go to my ultimate goal, so if I can go at your rate for what’s left, it will be about a year to freedom for me, too.

Mark • July 13, 2006 at 10:53 pm

Peter said: “I have found it really helps to chart my weight.”

Most people take before and after pictures. PastaQueen has rotating 3-D progress images! I can’t wait to see how she takes weight charts to the next level!

K • July 14, 2006 at 7:05 am

Personally, I would hyphenate “do-able”. (I think its status as a word is now undeniable, although “feasible” would, yes, do just as well.)

I was supposed to be at goal three months ago. And in a way I was, because I am back to my lowest ever adult size. The nearer to goal, the slower the loss, yes. But as you get smaller, even small losses make more of a visible difference. At the moment, I feel as though I’m barely losing according to the scale, but my clothes disagree.

Good luck, anyway, and I’m sure you’ll look lovely at the wedding (though how could you make your own shoes? Dress, maybe.)

Marla • July 14, 2006 at 8:09 am

OMG you really scared me – I didn’t notice the 200*7* at first. And my second thought was: what kind of dwah-BLAY nut is her brother, to schedule a wedding in four weeks?

Whew. Good luck! I mean, Bon Chance!

Renee • July 14, 2006 at 11:24 am

Your goal sound so healthy and doable! I think that’s a terrific thing to aim for. I’m aiming to be at goal by next summer as well, but I’ll never get there if the Kentucky heat doesn’t let up. :swelters:

Jessica • July 14, 2006 at 6:27 pm

I need to lose 15 lbs to fit into the size 10 dress I ordered to get married in! I have 12 weeks! I can doooo eeeet!

(And if I don’t, I’ll just buy a different dress. That’s the beauty of eloping on the beach — you can dress yourself for $25.)

Jessica • July 14, 2006 at 6:30 pm

Oh and I should add that I am 5’5″ and started out at 187 and now I am at 165 and would like to get down to 150 by the time I’m married but should probably ultimately weigh 135 if you wanna get medical about it.

Apparently I need a weight-loss blog.

Julia • July 15, 2006 at 3:14 am

doable

A adjective

1 accomplishable, achievable, doable, realizable

capable of existing or taking place or proving true; possible to do

clash man • July 15, 2006 at 4:58 am

Half and half and half and… happy! No paradox at all.

weight loss • July 15, 2006 at 5:04 am

go on,patience help you achieve the goal.

Gloria • July 15, 2006 at 12:04 pm

You go girl!! 4.4 lbs a month is completely doable, especially if you are exercising. You’ll be amazed at the changes that will start happening when this 57lbs starts comming off. Bones you didn’t that you haven’t seen in years will start poking out, hip bones, collar bones, butt bones. lol. I remember sitting down and feeling something hard. At first I thought I had sat on something then I realized that what I had been feeling were my butt bones. You’re body shape has already changed dramatically. With every 10 lbs or so you’ll lose about 1 size and along with that have a change of shape. This will make shopping more both more fun and challenging. You won’t be able just to pick-up your old favorite jeans in a different size, but will have to search for another cut and style to fit with your changing self. I’m so excited for Pastaqueen, and can’t wait til you post another pic of yourself. Oh, also want to note that your before and after gallery is the best I have ever seen. It’s great to see your weightloss from all differnet angles.

Good luck,

Gloria

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

Site Meter