Two Weddings and a Funeral

I’m going to New Jersey for a funeral this week, so I’m going to be MIA for awhile. I know you all are distraught, but you can make it through. I didn’t want you to think my absence was because I’d been arrested for my cake theft. What would that be, grand theft pastry?

I think this also goes to show John Lennon was right when he said life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans because all my moving arrangements are now shot to hell. I have to reschedule my rental truck, my internet installation and change the day I sign my lease since I will physically be unable to get to the office the day we’d planned. But at least I’m not dead, right?

For the curious, my aunt on my father’s side passed away. She had terminal cancer, so we knew it was going to happen, just not when. I hadn’t seen her for at least 10 years and we weren’t close, but I do need to go to the funeral. Also, I get to see my father for the first time in three and half years. Fun! Remind me to tell you about the time he told us he was going on a business trip to North Carolina and never came back. No, that’s not a joke.

So this makes two weddings and a funeral in the past month. If I hit another two weddings do you think Hugh Grant will show up and seduce me?

Eh... not so much • June 6, 2006 at 7:03 pm

Gosh, sorry about your aunt. But welcome to my state.

Debbi • June 7, 2006 at 7:45 am

You wrote:

“If I hit another two weddings do you think Hugh Grant will show up and seduce me?”

One can only hope!

I also hope the family drama isn’t too stressful.

Kalmia • June 7, 2006 at 1:47 pm

“Remind me to tell you about the time he told us he was going on a business trip to North Carolina and never came back.”

What a betrayal. I commend you for the way you live a good life and set a good example, for your stoicism and sense of humor, for the creative path you walk along. To me, you have chosen the high path, the best way to live. Good on ya!

Gloria • June 7, 2006 at 2:25 pm

Just checked out the pic of you in the dress. Wow, it’s a beautiful dress and you look very pretty in it. You are really looking wonderful girl.

Jules • June 7, 2006 at 3:15 pm

sorry about your aunt, but you’re a fabulous writer, i felt giggles rather than the sad empathy stuff. i have a little crush on hugh grant, so i hope he or his doppleganger does show up for you:)

Carolina • June 7, 2006 at 6:05 pm

When I was dating my husband I went to 3 weddings…and a funeral…

Funeral’s are not fun…so just try to survive….

K • June 12, 2006 at 4:34 am

Actually, J and I have been to 4 weddings (including our own) and 1 funeral too. Spooky.

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada