Torrid

In all the chaos of the past weeks I forgot to mention I finally stepped foot inside a Torrid store, the anti Lane Bryant. I went to the one in Toledo, Ohio to kill some time during the afternoon before my aunt got married. The salesmen in that mall are way more aggressive than the salespeople in our local mall. I was nearly convinced I wouldn’t make it out again without having a man in a white shirt garrotte me with his tie and yell “You must try our new cellular plan! If I don’t make quota I’ll be publicly beheaded!”

For some odd reason the only Torrid in Indiana is in Fort Wayne, not Indianapolis which is the state’s largest city and capital. Why? I have no idea. Perhaps Fort Wayne has a surplus of fat chicks. Even odder, the only thing I ended up buying was a pair of socks. I’m glad I had the wedding to attend because it would have been rather silly to drive four and a half hours to buy something I could get at Wal-Mart. They’re pink argyle socks with little skull and crossbones interspersed in the pattern. I like my socks to be as ironic as I am.

There were some cute things there, but anything I was interested in either didn’t flatter me or was too expensive. A lot of the clothes had too much of a “Fuck You” attitude for me to consider wearing, but I’m glad a store like this does exist for today’s teenagers. I sure could have used it 10 years ago when we couldn’t even order clothes like that online. Oh yes, back in my day we had it rough, kiddies. Be grateful for your punky fat girl clothes, even if you have to dodge salespeople like linebackers to get to them. You’re big, you can tackle them if necessary.

Hilly • June 14, 2006 at 3:06 pm

*hangs head in semi-shame*

I shop at Torrid and love it. Although, we all know I kinda have a “fuck you” tude going on anyway ;). I generally thing that SoCal fashion is a little more liberal than midwest fashion so we can get away with it…mostly I like their pants and plain tops and shoes :). But yes, down with LB!

kathryn • June 14, 2006 at 4:55 pm

I’ve always wondered about the clothes at Torrid – i used to look at their website but since they don’t have stores in Australia, it would have cost a fortune to buy anything. For some reason I always thought their clothes wouldn’t look good on me so never took the risk.

Debbi • June 15, 2006 at 7:37 am

Well, I’d never even heard of Torrid until now! Does that give y’all a clue how in the Middle of Nowhere I really live!

little miss ess • June 15, 2006 at 11:09 am

Ha about Toledo aggressive mall salespeople. There’s something so strange about that town. Desperation everywhere.

Katrina • June 22, 2006 at 11:59 pm

I had my first Torrid visit in January (the one in Schaumburg, IL) and had the exact same thoughts as you.

Gloria • July 14, 2006 at 12:20 pm

Hey girl,

There was a college age girl sitting in Starbucks yesterday and wearing what I’m pretty sure was Torrid clothing. It was a very nice flattering ensemble, in mostly pink, and she had a pink barrette in her hair. I really wanted to go up to her and compliment her on her look. I’ve lost over 50lbs in the past year and a half. Although, I knew Torrid existed, but until I went inside one with a plus-sized friend a few weeks ago I thought that they only had teen type clothing. If only I had known when I was heavier. Anyways, I think it’s great. The one complaint that I hear about fashionable plus-sized clothing stores is that it encourages girls/women to remain fat. That they should somehow be punished, as a sort of warped motivation to become thinner. My retort to that is “Bullsh_t, being able to dress nicier helps a person feel less depressed. When a person feels better about themselves they are more likely to go out, move about more, and are less likely to seek comfort from food. Regardless, plus-sized teen especially have enough stress in their lives anyway. Even something as “trivial” as clothing can be a comfort.

Calidaho • October 28, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Be glad you could order online as a teenager! I had the Speigel Catalog.

I was doubly hindered because I lived in a teeny, tiny town–we had to drive an hour to find any clothing stores.

By the way, I am reading through your archives so I keep commenting on old stuff.