Play that funky music

I need some good exercise songs. I’ve walked so many miles that I’m now sick of everything I have. When you have thousands of MP3s like I do, that’s quite a statement. So lay some suggestions on me people! What songs help push you through a strenuous work out? What songs give you that extra spurt of energy needed to keep going when all you want to do is quit? I will take care of locating said songs, so don’t worry about that part. If you want to upload something to SendSpace or some other free file hosting service, that would be fine too.

In the spirit of reciprocity, here are two of my latest favorite exercise songs.

Rachael Yamagata – Worn Me Down

This is actually about a relationship that’s ending, but it’s also a great song for the end of a work out when you’re, you know, worn down, like a road.

The Primitives – Way Behind Me

Again, this is about a relationship that’s ended, but I like to think of it as motivation to run so fast you leave everyone else in your wake. It helps pick me up in the middle of a run.

P.S. – When you click on the links, the download link for the MP3 is near the bottom of the page under the ads. They kind of hide it.

jaime • May 17, 2006 at 9:35 am

I liked Santana’s Supernatural album for walking.

Eh... not so much • May 17, 2006 at 10:22 am

Here’s a mix I burned for a friend of mine:

* The Nails, “88 Lines About 44 Women” – I heard this sampled in a car commercial a few years back, and was moved to acquire it. Has some naughty words, but a great beat.

* Aqua, “Barbie Girl” – Perfect upbeat happy plastic pop!

* Save Ferris, “Come On Eileen” – Ska version of the 80′s classic, even peppier than the original!

* Mirwais, “Disco Science” – From the soundtrack to Guy Ritchie’s film SNATCH. Not only does it have a great beat, it reminds me of hunky actor Jason Statham. Mrowr.

* I Am the World Trade Center, “Future Sightings” – This unfortunately-named band has made a wonderful piece of electro-pop. Available on iTunes.

* Sugarcubes, “Hit” – College rock (for me anyway)! I love Bjork, and she sounds so tuff in this.

* Bodyrockers, “I Like the Way” – Recently used in a Diet Coke ad and in Bodypump classes. The guy’s voice is just… so… dirty. Makes me feel like the hottest thing in the gym.

* Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Love Rollercoaster” – Just awesome!

* The Killers, “Mr. Brightside” – Also available on iTunes. Fabulous beat, hard-hitting.

* “No One Takes Your Freedom,” a mix by DJ Earworm (http://www.djearworm.com) available free from his site – An endlessly entertaining mashup of the Beatles, the Scissor Sisters, and George Michael! Love everything from this guy so far.

****** to be continued ******

Eh... not so much • May 17, 2006 at 10:25 am

Part 2!

* Iio, “Rapture” – Great electro-dance track, one of my latest *koff* acquisitions. I think it’s on iTunes too.

* “Robbie Goes to Hollywood”, a mashup of Robbie Williams “DJ” and Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax.” Sorry, can’t remember where I found this. I can upload it later if you like.

* Oakenfold, “Starry Eyed Surprise” – Also recently in a Diet Coke ad, the one with the skaters and all the bubbles. Love the beat and it’s so happy!

* Jill Sobule, “Supermodel” – Satire with rockin’ guitars? Yes indeedy! (From the CLUELESS soundtrack too.)

* U2, “Vertigo” – Hard-hitting, keeps you going!

* Rogue Traders, “Voodoo Child” – First encountered in my Bodypump class a few months back. I love it!

Hope these help!

Saffy • May 17, 2006 at 1:23 pm

I like:

“Superstar” by Love Inc (has great cheesy-but-motivating lyrics like “Reach for the sky, and hold your head up high, ‘cuz tonight and every night, you’re a superstar…”).

“Sweat of your Brow” Jully Black

“I like the way you move” Outkast

“Can’t get you out of my head” Kylie Minogue

and lots of songs off madonna’s new album “Confessions on a Dance Floor”- which is all dance-y and upbeat…

Nicole • May 17, 2006 at 2:17 pm

I, too, am sick to death of my songs. Sick of listening to any song actually. So, I have started listening to spanish lessons, comedy, or motivational speakers. I dont foresee being able to “pump it out” to this for long but it is giving me a break from the music.

Kyra • May 17, 2006 at 2:50 pm

I was going to suggest books on audio. They can be downloaded as MP3s as well. :) But I can ONLY listen to a book on audio if I am walking (and if it’s on a treadmill, I got one of those small protable DVD players and hook up my headphones with them and watch a movie instead!) If I am running, forget it. I need music that gives me a reason to run (you see, I can’t dance to save my life, but I CAN run on beat! ;)

Debbi • May 17, 2006 at 4:54 pm

I tend to like things with a marching tempo, so these might be too slow for a true run:

1. Love Shack – B52s

2. You Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC

3. When the Going Gets Tough – Billy Ocean

4. Push It – The Diplomats

5. Walkin’ on the Sun – Smash Mouth

6. Baby Got Back – Sir Mix a Lot

7. Tear You Apart – She Wants Revenge.

New-ish stuff I’m enjoying include Eminem’s “Shake That,” which has filthy lyrics but a great beat; Kelly Clarkson’s “Walk Away,” and “My Hump” by the Black Eyed Peas.

I use a Shuffle, and I love it when Mary Mary’s “Can’t Give Up Now” pops up for the last couple minutes of my workout.

Can’t wait to try out some of these other suggestions … I’ve been kinda bored with my tunes lately, too.

Kelly • May 17, 2006 at 8:18 pm

I’m all about the cheesey techno like LaBouche (“Be My Lover” and “Tonight is the Night”) and The Real McCoy (you just can’t beat “Another Night”).

“Ya Mama” by Fatboy Slim has the perfect beat for me walking fast.

“Right On” by OMC is just a happy song that makes me feel like the whole world is sunny.

“A Little Less Conversation” by Elvis (the new remix) is toe-tapping grooviness.

Rachel • May 17, 2006 at 10:48 pm

I actually posted a list of my workout songs a few weeks ago! You can see it here! One song that I didn’t have listed is “Inner Smile” by Texas. It’s a good one. It’s so funny to read everybody else’s suggestions and see my same workout songs! :)

cally • May 18, 2006 at 4:29 am

I don’t know what your taste in music is but I use these songs when I run (I prefer to run to rock music mostly). I’m getting a bit sick of them now after a couple of months so need to make a new playlist myself!

Sweet Child of Mine – Guns and Roses

Violet – Hole

American Idiot – Green Day

Only Happy When it Rains – Garbage

Stupid Girl – Garbage

Epic – Faith No More

Lose Yourself – Eminem

Fighter – Christina Aguilera (not normally my kind of thing but it’s got that angry vibe that gets you going!)

Toxic – Britney Spears (ditto)

The Breakfast Club theme – Simple Minds

Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana

Don’t Speak – No Doubt

Somewhere I Belong – Linkin Park

Ros • May 18, 2006 at 5:48 am

Hey, just love your blog, makes me laugh out loud, you have done amazingly well.. and are inspiring me with my own weight loss!

Good songs:

My best m8te swears by Bon Jovi’s living on a prayer for when she pounds the treadmill.. the intro really feels like preparing for something.

Chaka Khan Aint no body.. cos .. u Chaka just ROCKS!

Liberty X Just a Little Bit

S club 7- Don’t stop movin.. Uk pop but AMAZING SONG!

Ce CE Peniston.. Finally

Don’t Stop Movin… by Livin Joy… is AWESOME

Dreamer.. Livin Joy too

I love all the cheesy 90′s dance tunes! They get me jumping around anyway!

Deborah Cox.,, Just be good to me

haha I thought that was ace of bace!

Anyway.. try em.. if u like I can always send u more!

Ros

Laura • May 18, 2006 at 9:03 am

I like all sorts of music, but the one tried-and-true exercise music for me is anything AC/DC. Pop in an album like “The Razor’s Edge” or “Back in Black” and I’m good to go for an hour, anytime, anywhere.

Snoot • May 18, 2006 at 10:47 am

The classics: “Kashmir,” Led Zepplin is a great song with a relentless beat for long straightaways. (If you watched the Winter Olympics this year one of the Japanese couples skated to it, or a bad synth version at least.)

“Fearless,” Pink Floyd is great for hills (“You say the hill’s too steep to climb, I’ll climb the hill in my own way…,” plus it ends with cheering and soccer chants, all for you and your hill-climbing victory.

“The Boxer,” Simon et Garfunkel.

Newer music: “The Tallest Man, the Highest Tower,” Sufjan Stevens. Or, “Chigago.” Belle & Sebastian, “The Stars of Track and Field.” Quiet, but, “Stars of track and field are beautiful people.” I second the White Stripes. Also the Kate Bush, but “Running up that Hill,” or “Suspended in Gaffa.” Talking Heads, “Road to Nowhere,” if you like celebrating the irony of the treadmill.

citycat • May 18, 2006 at 2:27 pm

If you can find a copy of it, DJ’s “Dean Grey” American Edit is incredible. The whole album mashes Green Day songs with all sorts of other music. Boulevard of Broken Dreams meets Wonderwall, American Idiot is mashed with everything from Bryan Adams to Johnny Cash, and Dr. Who On Holiday is possible the most incredible remix I have ever heard.

Fat Bitch • May 18, 2006 at 4:28 pm

Hi PQ :)

Without music I couldn’t shake my booty for one single milisecond at ALL, my dear!

Anything with a fast beat from the ’60′s to the present will do for that purpose but when it comes to music while falling asleep, I tend to listen to more easy listening type stuff.

Gotta have MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!

Fat Bitch • May 18, 2006 at 4:30 pm

I forgot to mention that your posts are always great!!!!!!!!

PastaQueen • May 19, 2006 at 11:19 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, people! Y’all are great. The audio book idea is interesting, though part of the reason I like music is because I can’t hear my own panting :) But maybe if I’m focusing on listening to words it will distract me from my pain. Off I go to put some of this stuff together!

lani • May 20, 2006 at 12:19 am

The best album to run or walk to is the Pixies’ Doolittle album. If you haven’t heard it you should check it out, I lost a lot of weight walking/running to that album.

Mary • May 20, 2006 at 11:33 pm

This may already be on someone’s list but I’m adding it anyhow. It’s not particularly upbeat or crazy, making you want to run 10 mph, but it sure is inspirational, at least for me: Proud, by Heather Small, it’s amazing!

drstaceyny • May 26, 2006 at 4:20 pm

Nasty Girl-Nitty

Pour Some Sugar on Me-Def Leppard

Pump It-Black Eyed Peas

Lose Yourself-Eminem

Enjoy!

aliasaila47 • June 1, 2006 at 11:07 am

I also love Rachel Yamagata.

Two good ones are:

Battle Flag Pidgeonhead by Lo Fidelity Allstars and Get Up by Sleater-Kinney

picky1 • July 1, 2006 at 8:34 pm

Who let the dogs out?Baha Men

I don’t know why I like this song so much, I just do.

SwitchWill Smith

Nice site BTW :)

Helen • July 20, 2006 at 1:47 am

Several years ago, I forgot my tapes for my walkman, so all I had was radio. Well, it got to the point where I was just wanting to stop the treadmill & hit the showers. Well, bless the DJ who played “You Augta Know” by Alanis Morrisette, then followed up with “Enter Sandman” by Metallica! Man – I BLASTED out that work out! And try:

“Proud” from Queer as Folk soundtrack

“Tubthumping” – Chambawamba

“Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)” – US3

“Tush” – ZZ Top

“Silence (DJ Testo Mix)” – Sarah McLachlan & Delerium

“My Sharona” – The Knack

“Baby Likes to Rock It” – The Tractors

“Let Me Entertain You – Robbie Williams (or really almost anything by him gets me going! )

Great Site – I’m going to add it to my Faves & check on you more! You are inspiring me to get back on track & start shedding some of these pounds!

Kari • March 12, 2007 at 7:47 pm

This may be a bit exreme, but I love the soundtrack to “Run, Lola, Run.” (I also love the movie.) I don’t usually like techno-type music, but this one rocks my world, gets my heart pumping, and gets me moving on the treadmill or elliptical!

scfrogprincess • December 24, 2008 at 2:21 am

You probably aren’t looking for more music anymore, but these are some I liked when I was treading the mill.. back when I had a gym membership. ;)

Precious Declaration by Collective Soul

Jump Jive an’Wail by The Brian Setzer Orchestra

Black Betty by Ram Jam

There are a lot more, but most of them have already been mentioned.

Melissa • February 23, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Hey, there. I’m not sure if you’re still looking, but I’m loving “Diplo Rhythm” by Diplo, any new Shooter Jennings, and Rusted Root’s “Back to the Earth”.

I’ve just finished your book (loved it) and I’m digging the site. Thanks. :D

KarenDS • March 19, 2009 at 10:33 am

For what it’s worth at this late date — have you ever tried Celtic music? I have some Tannahill Weaver CDS, and some of their reel sets make me tired just LISTENING to them! They have a driving beat (the word “relentless” comes to mind), and are usually longer than your standard pop tunes.

BTW… really enjoy your blog. I started at the beginning and am working my way through.

the killers mr brightside cover • April 2, 2010 at 5:25 am

I love The Killers they are without doubt one of the best bands. Still I have to say I found this first rate mr brightside cover version on YouTube the other day and y’know I like it much more than the classic recording! You will want to see this … The Killers Mr Brightside Cover

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

The Citicorp tower design flaw that could have wiped out the skyscraper: 99% Invisible by Roman Mars.
Glad someone figured this out before disaster happened.

Charles O'Rear is the photographer who took the Windows XP wallpaper photo in Napa Valley.
I always thought this image was Photoshopped, but evidently it's real!

Site Meter