Keeping Score

I think the blood pressure machine at the pharmacy should keep a top ten list of best blood pressure readings, like the top scores on a video arcade game. Then every month when I pick up my migraine pills I could try to beat the high score.

This month my arm actually fit comfortably into the cuff and I scored an awesome 122/71. A reading of 120/80 is considered normal. It was all I could do to contain myself and not yell “Score!” while pumping my fists in the air and taking a victory lap around the feminine hygiene aisle.

My family has a history of hypertension. At our last family reunion my aunts and uncles started comparing what blood pressure medications they were on. My blood pressure has never been in the dangerously high levels, but it wasn’t ever this good either. So, yay! You can be fat and fit.

Now if I could just get off these damn headache pills. I tried going off of them in December but that was A Very Bad Idea because I ended up having a migraine during midnight mass, as if I don’t find attending church painful enough. I’ve always hoped my headache problems were weight related, but maybe my noggin’ is just screwed up. But you all knew I wasn’t right in the head already, didn’t you?

Lora • May 11, 2006 at 11:44 am

I don’t know what you have or haven’t tried for your migraines but have you tried caffeine? My sister has horrible migraines (she’s been hospitalized for them) and hates the way the various meds for them make her feel and she has found that a cup or two of really strong coffee in the morning prevents almost all the headaches. She’s been treating them this way for a few years now with nary a headache in sight.

zara • May 11, 2006 at 11:56 am

Ack! My comment got eaten!

I love the game idea! (the short version of my previous longer and *hilarious* comment) ;)

Congrats on the healthy blood pressure!

PastaQueen • May 11, 2006 at 12:25 pm

Lora – As long as I stay on the pills, I don’t have the headaches. Though I think if I eat a lot of chocolate it can trigger one. I do drink a lot of caffeine (diet sodas) so maybe that is helping too. I’ve never been hospitalized for them though, so I feel bad for your sister!

Nicole • May 11, 2006 at 12:33 pm

Your BP story literally made me chuckle out loud.

You have inspired me as well….I just ordered the South Beach Diet book from Amazon.com.

Hilly • May 11, 2006 at 11:11 pm

LMAO – dude, I totally got the high score at the BP machine today…I beat out that 80 year old lady!

I used to be on BP meds before I started this journey so I feel ya loving that good blood pressure and fitting in the cuff!

Fat Bitch • May 12, 2006 at 1:05 am

Hi Pastaqueen :)

Oh do you know how to write!

I’m happy for you that your BP was so normal. I use the word loosely I promise you I do. ;)

Julia • May 12, 2006 at 2:39 am

I also had migraines and found that they were triggered from CAFFEINE. It was really hard but I slowly nursed myself off diet sodas, and then coffee. Now I get maybe two a year as opposed to once a week.

If you are a diet soda consumer, I bet that’s what it is.

Dee • May 12, 2006 at 8:54 am

I spat water everywhere when I read how you wanted to pump your fist in the air and do lappies around the “ladies” asile. HAHAHA!

On a serious note tho, absolutely bloody brilliant!!!!!!! @ the blood pressure.

Maybe you should take that winner lap…

Liz • May 12, 2006 at 12:19 pm

I do not have migraines, but I heard an excellent story on National Public Radio about treating migraines through diet instead of medication. Here’s the link to the story on their website:

Vic • February 9, 2007 at 10:47 am

I used to suffer from migraines also.I have eliminated all fake sugar(aspartme) foods such as diet soads, sugar free gums and the headaches stopped the next day. I happen to love those things and so every once in a while I have some, but the migraines return in 1 to 2 days.

D • March 1, 2007 at 2:09 pm

Studies have shown magnesium helps prevent migraines. I hardly ever get them since I’ve started taking it. Studies have also shown it can help prevent type 2 diabeties.

I added some fake Black Friday deals to this store's weekly in-store flyer - Album on Imgur
OMG, too funny!

Humans can sleep for days when living alone underground, experiments show - ScienceAlert
This is probably a sign that I've got problems, but the idea of sleeping for 30 hours sounds really appealing.

Justin Bieber chastised audience for clapping on the offbeat: The biggest challenge facing musicians at shows is audiences with bad rhythm.
I'm linking to this because of the video of Harry Connick Jr. at the bottom, who manages to throw in an extra beat in the middle of a song to get people to start clapping on the offbeat without them even realizing. Mad skillz!