New Car, Redux

It has been brought to my attention by, well, half my readership, that I have gotten too small for my britches. Namely, my jeans are as baggy as MC Hammer’s pants. I was a tube top away from getting arrested by the fashion police! I have been rehabilitated though, I swear! As proof, here is a photo of me and my beautiful car, this time in pants that fit. Pants that fit me, not the car. Duh.

New car, new pants

I had noticed my pants were big a month ago and went shopping for a new pair, but at that time I wasn’t quite a size 24. All the size 24s had that annoying gap at the back of the waist when I put them on. I did buy a pair of pants on sale that didn’t fit, which is of course a big “no, no,” since you don’t know if they’ll fit you right when you do lose weight. But I got lucky and they look fine and I wouldn’t have even bothered trying them on again for another week or two if you all hadn’t said something. So thanks! I was unaware that I’d lost that inch or two because my weight has stayed the same.

Looking at this picture also made me think most people probably wouldn’t guess that I weigh 235 pounds. I somehow manage to look thinner than that number implies. I don’t know if it’s because I’m tall or has to do with how my fat is distributed on my body or what. I want to have people look at this picture and guess how much I weigh, but I can’t really do that since I’ve got the answer key over in the right column. I think people would guess low, which only goes to show that the number on the scale doesn’t really mean much. That or people really have no concept of how much someone weighs, especially after they get above a certain point.

ETA: Okay, some of you are saying these clothes don’t fit me either. I know the top does not fit me anymore, but it matches the car which is why I wore it. Also, I swear to God the pants fit! They’re bell bottoms, so maybe they appear baggy at the bottom. Plus, I’m sort of in a shadow which may be creating the optical illusion of fabric folds where there aren’t really any. Yes, that’s it. Please don’t send me to fashion jail! I’ve tried on smaller jeans and I cannot sit in them.

ETA: Thanks for your honesty though! I appreciate everyone’s comments and don’t want people to lie or not comment to protect my feelings or anything. I’m a fan of constructive criticism.

M, the fat girl • March 17, 2006 at 8:11 pm

Those pants? Do not fit you either. And your shirt is too big. Do you see the extra fabric bunching around your torso and hanging around your thighs? That means “too big.”

As to people not guessing that you weigh 235…my size-2-wearing friend recently guessed my size at “12, 14?” I wear a 20. I think it’s that people are so afraid of numbers over a size 14 or over 200 pounds that they think those numbers look huge, when they don’t. Gloria Steinem, on being told that she didn’t look her age, once told reporters that she did TOO look her age, they were just used to women a decade older reporting their age as what Steinem’s age currently was, and so they thought it was supposed to look older than it was. So the combination of people’s fear-inflated fantasies and fear-induced lies…I think it skews the perception.

Hey, first post! That’s what procrastination’ll do you.

Kalyn • March 17, 2006 at 8:37 pm

Not to be critical, but M is right, the clothes you have on in the second picture are still too big. (This is good news BTW.) I think when you are overweight you get used to wearing loose clothes to “hide” the fat. Go shopping and try on some things in a smaller size. This could be fun!

PastaQueen • March 17, 2006 at 9:14 pm

I’m totally going to fashion jail, aren’t I? Too many violations! I will take another look at the pants with a more critical eye, but I swear if I try going down another size I can’t sit in them. I think it’s because I’m pear-shaped or something.

alice • March 17, 2006 at 10:48 pm

I think it’s a matter of cut over fit. The black pants *fit*, you say, in the waist, I presume? a better *cut* might be a slimmer leg, a tricky thing to be sure, but something straight-legged would streamline, I think. you’re tall and have long legs – flaunt them, baby!

also, I don’t think anyone’s mentioned how great it is to see you with your hair down! very saucy! and a nice change from all those twirl pics with your hair pulled back!

Lulu • March 18, 2006 at 8:00 am

I weigh only slightly less than you and have been a 22 (now an 18), so I have a good idea of what those numbers look like. And if I had to guess your weight, I would put you at less than 200. You definitely look smaller than the numbers suggest! Increased fitness will do that to a girl.

ic • March 18, 2006 at 10:54 am

I have to agree with the other posts, these clothes are still too big for you. I weigh exactly the same as you do right now and I am shorter by 5 inches and I fit into a size 18 from Old Navy. I also am bottom heavy with lots of junk in the trunk…if you know what I mean. Go shopping and have fun trying clothes on from regular stores and not from the Plus size sections. You will be surprised, I bet you fit into regular sizes. Anyway you look great either way so have fun with it.

Isabelle • March 18, 2006 at 6:51 pm

Well, you look great, anyway. And the colour of the top really suits you. And the car.

Abby • March 21, 2006 at 3:06 pm

Just to go along with ic’s comment, I’ve found that Old Navy pants run on the larger side of the numbers and pretty ample room in the butt/hips/thighs. So you might want to check them out! :)

I hear ya about the finding pants that fit right! I have an average waist, wide hips, and no butt to speak of. So the Misses sizes are too big in the butt and Juniors sizes (I’m on the upper end of those, don’t worry!) are too small in the hips.

Guess we’ll just have to go naked!!

goodbyetoallfat • June 21, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I’ve just got about halfway through your book and got to the bit where you mentioned finding you had skipped size 24 and suddenly needed size 22 pants. I immediately had to come and click on your archives to find out where these blog entries where that you mentioned, where your blog readers informed you that your pants were TOO darned big!

It is very funny to now be able to put 2 and 2 together (and the entry of 15 March 2006) and see the connection with the book!