Idiom Update

Does anyone else think the phrase “falling off the wagon” sounds outdated? One of these days we’re all going to be driving flying cars and people are still going to be talking about falling off of wagons. The last time I rode in an actual wagon was on a Halloween hay ride in middle school and I certainly didn’t fall off the thing. Ouch! I’m sure a visit to the ER would have followed and there would have been no wagon riding in my near future. No, I just got hay stuck in my pants. Scratchy.

This idiom seriously needs to be updated. Maybe we could fall off the station wagon instead? Though I haven’t really seen many station wagons lately. Everyone has SUVs instead. “I really fell off the Land Rover” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Shasha • March 31, 2006 at 11:10 am

I think that the cool thing about the idioms is that they are old. They remind us of our history, so we are keeping a part of the past here with us!

Gretchen • March 31, 2006 at 11:34 am

I don’t think “Land Rover” covers it…it’s all quiet and leather-y inside with warming seats. For me, it’s more like falling of a cliff. It’s a long distance down a steep slope and getting back on the cliff has sharp rocks and bugs…scaryscary bugs. :)

Amyt • March 31, 2006 at 11:41 am

maybe falling off the hummer.

although i’ve never seen a hummer driver ever go off road either.

Jen • March 31, 2006 at 3:08 pm

I vote for

Falling off the Vespa

Dee • March 31, 2006 at 5:43 pm

HAHAA, oh man this is so random and funny.

I’ll be thinking about all the different combos all day long now =)

kathryn • April 1, 2006 at 3:14 pm

If I’m going to fall off anything, I’d prefer a wagon. They go kinda slow so it wouldn’t hurt so much!

Dana • July 28, 2009 at 10:15 am