Discipline

Sometimes I think the secret of life is learning how to make yourself do things you don’t want to do. That’s it. Once you figure out how to do that, you’re set!

For instance, half the time I do not want to exercise. But I just have to smack my inner whiner and get on the treadmill anyway and run like a hamster in its wheel. I just have to remember that the temporary unpleasantness will lead to a more lasting pleasant reward a.k.a. a smaller booty.

This certainly applies in other areas of life too besides just weight loss. I hate calling strangers on the phone, but I have to do it anyway. I’ve been shopping for a used car recently, so when I see a listing that looks promising I just have to suck it up and call the dealership. The thing is, the more I practice, the easier it seems to get. I still don’t like calling strangers and I probably never will, but I’m learning to deal.

Maybe this is just what discipline is. Making yourself do things you don’t want to.

Susan • March 14, 2006 at 2:03 pm

I, too, hate calling strangers- even if they have an ad in the newspaper. A few times I have called someone inquiring about something and they have acted like I was bothering them- I guess that is one of my problems- don’t want to put anyone out.

Jessi • March 14, 2006 at 2:12 pm

This is *exactly* what discipline is. Great post.

Hilly • March 14, 2006 at 2:27 pm

I’m starting to look at exercise as my second job; I know, it is strange but I have to do that in order to make myself do it.

Of course now that we bought our elliptical and my exercise centers around my beloved TiVo, who knows?

;)

kathryn • March 14, 2006 at 2:32 pm

So true, but I dont’ think I’ll ever learn to like getting out of bed of a morning.

Melli • March 14, 2006 at 4:40 pm

Yes indeed! That IS what discipline is! And I HATE it too! Don’t we ALL just want to be spoiled brats running rampant doing whatever we want to do all the time!??? LOL! I DO! But… no… we are adults! We MUST have discipline! And there’s the rub! I must pedal, pedal, pedal… and you must run, run, run…. and I just keep waiting for the day to come when I actually ENJOY doing this!

I think this is the first time I’ve posted to your blog… but I’ve been watching for a few weeks now! I’m very very proud of you – you have come such a long way! I also need to lose about 1/2 my body… and I have only just started… I’m down 10 with oh, many many to go! So you are being a true inspiration to me! I have complete faith that you WILL meet your goal!

cdb • March 14, 2006 at 5:09 pm

So true, so true! My inner whine is always in the voice of one of those annoying children you see at the supermarket screaming at their mothers: “noooooooooo, I don’t wanna do it, dooooooon’t make me!” I struggle with this at EVERY workout, so you are not alone!

kim • March 14, 2006 at 6:28 pm

I have found that when my body whines I make it do double the work. Awhile a back I woke up and my entire body was screaming “yeah its not a workout day” and just for the whining I made it get up and run! Today it was screaming for M&M and I gave it oatmeal with sweet and low…that will teach my treacherous body not to complain! I have a most defiant body!

marta • March 14, 2006 at 8:54 pm

Amen Sister!

Chrissie • March 15, 2006 at 12:02 am

I love Kim’s response to her body. I need to learn how to do that.

I kind of figured out a while ago that the secret to doing things is to actually do them and not wait around until you want to do them. If I waited until I wanted to go to the gym I’d never go. If I waited until I wanted to start eating healthy I never would. If I waited to do what’s right for myself I never would.

Of course I can’t seem to put this into practice in the rest of my life. Obviously I just need to, you know, do it. But I’m not quite in the mood to yet.

Oh the irony.

Judy Warner • March 15, 2006 at 5:10 am

I love to read your blog–thanks for doing this. Judy

Amy • March 15, 2006 at 2:56 pm

it seems like not being disciplined to yourself is so easy because you’re only letting yourself down, but why is it so easy for us to let ourselves down and not other people. rock on for putting yourself first.

Lazy Daisy • March 17, 2006 at 8:29 am

Wow, great post….I get it (call it a light bulb moment) Thanks for the insight and the encouragement! You Go Girl….you are my hero!

Tanya • March 18, 2006 at 10:52 am

I agree – great post! My favorite quote starts with “Life is not easy, but what of it?” [continues … We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained.] Remembering this, and the amazing life of the lady who said it (Marie Curie), has helped me when I NEED to do things that I don’t want to do.

Cristina • August 29, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Hi, Pastaqueen. Some weeks ago I started to read your blog from the beginning, and I love them. This is one of my favourites.

I saw your video interview on the web. Congratulations, you truly are an inspiration.