Toning Up

I keep hearing people mention Pilates on their blogs. God knows if you all decided to jump off a bridge, I’d probably take the leap too (though I might secretly attach a bungee cord to my waist). So I did a Pilates DVD two days ago and right now it hurts to laugh, and sneeze, and just lean forward. Ow! That Pilates is an ass kicker, er, abs kicker.

I swear I’m not a masochist, but I actually like feeling sore because I know that means whatever I’m doing is working. So, I’m going to stick with the Pilates. It’s much more intense than yoga, which I could never get into. All that “I am a tree, standing tall, swaying in the breeze” stuff did not jive with me. I’ll show you where to put your tree.

I also started lifting weights this week, something I really should have started doing a year ago. So my arms and my abs are sisters in pain. I bet they are bitching about me behind my back or in front of my back. “Can you believe what she is making us do?” But in addition to burning all those calories walking, I will soon have a toned, fit body too. Yippee!

I’m strangely psyched about this. I guess it’s good to have a project, something to work on, because I’ve felt a little bit adrift lately in my personal life. Nothing major, just a general “What’s next?” feeling. I think finding something new to challenge yourself is important to staying self-satisfied. Otherwise you’re just treading water.

Jessi • February 28, 2006 at 10:15 am

I feel the same way about yoga! (Posted about it on Feb 15) I just don’t have the patience for it.

Heather • February 28, 2006 at 10:36 am

I love both Yoga and Pilates. The stretching feels soooo good. My legs are pissed at me today, I started weights, too. Ugh.

Eh... not so much • February 28, 2006 at 11:33 am

Lifting weights is my favorite thing! I also got back on the weights wagon last night. I’m using WEIGHT TRAINING WORKOUTS THAT WORK as a guide. I’ve been exercising a long time, but I prefer to have a template to follow. Count me in as also preferring Pilates to yoga, although I do enjoy the stretchiness.

Laura Bora • February 28, 2006 at 12:46 pm

I LOVE lifting weights. My triceps are totally bitching about me to my thighs but I love feeling the pain of the gym — it’s the pain of progress.

I did Pilates once and was so sore the next day I could barely move. I’d try it again but I’d need Remedial Pilates.

little miss ess • February 28, 2006 at 2:00 pm

Yay for you on doing Pilates and getting into weight training. One of the things I like so much about doing the weight training is that I see results so quickly. The Mister keeps laughing at me because I constantly flex my biceps and say, Look!

Amy • February 28, 2006 at 9:17 pm

I love Pilates. But don’t let one hippy dippy yoga tape turn you off to it on the whole… there are some routines out there that will kick your ass!

I’m just getting back on the strength training bandwagon too. I prefer cardio to weights any day, but I know it’s good for me. Ugh.

hilly • February 28, 2006 at 9:38 pm

I love Yoga…in fact I got the “Just My Size” yoga tape and love it cause ya know…it is geared for bigger bodies to fit in those positions ;).

I also love minor strength training with weights.

I am so gonna get flamed but I hate Pilates…something about my head and neck just don’t get along with it.

Have fun with it, no matter what you decide!

imm • February 28, 2006 at 10:47 pm

i am so glad i stumbled on your website…. wish we could have coffee and chat – about weight loss, what works what doesnt.

there is so much i want to say, but should probably keep it brief (never really blogged before).

i have been doing the elliptical (precor) since 1/9/06 4x per week and am a little pissy at the fact that i am not seeing any results.

as far as the pilates, yeah, i’ve got one in my tv cabinet. it’s where some of my dust bunnies live. let me just say, have you ever seen an insect get caught in a spiders web? ok, well that is me doing pilates!

Amy • March 1, 2006 at 6:53 am

which pilates dvd did you get? i’d love to know i was buying a good one.

Kirsten • March 1, 2006 at 8:47 am

I’ve never done real Pilates, only Body Balance (Pilates-yoga-tai’chi hybrid). It was fun, and I got very stretchy, which I am certainly not now (cue sound of twanging hamstrings).

But I’m a total convert to weights. It took me months to work up the courage to try the Nautilus machines, and then further months to graduate to free weights, and both times I wished I’d got on with it sooner.

One thing to be aware of: the numbers on the scale might not move as fast if you’re building muscle, even a small amount. I really haven’t lost much weight recently, although I have lost inches!

Andrea • March 9, 2006 at 1:11 pm

I preer weights myself but every little bit helps. Pilates is much easier on the body but weights will help put those curves where they belong (not hanging around your knees!)

Wendy Maynard • March 14, 2006 at 11:52 am

Yoga can help too. If readers want tips on yoga, visit Yoga Fit Blog at http://yogafitnessfun.blogspot.com/

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.