Weight: 242 – Pounds left to lose: 82

There are many things to hate about the menstrual cycle. Cramps, irritability, unexpected stains. However, the illusion of sudden weight loss is definitely not one of them. I “lost” 4 pounds this week. Thank you, water weight!

In other notable news, it was one year ago tomorrow that I started losing weight. In that time I’ve lost 130 pounds, over one third of my body weight. If this blog were called “One Third of Me” I could pack it up and call it a day!

It doesn’t seem like it’s been a year, but on the other hand I can barely remember making eating decisions other than in the way I do today. As Ben Folds Five once put it: “seconds pass slowly and years go flying by.” True, that.

I know a lot of new readers here are just starting their weight loss endeavors while others may be starting to give up. When you have a lot of weight to lose, it can be very overwhelming to know that it will take a year or more to lose it all. The thing is, a year from now you’re going to be a year older anyway. You can’t stop time, but you can choose what you do in the next year. Right now 2007 seems like a long way off, but I know a year from now I’ll probably be linking back to this post and hopefully commenting on how good it is to be at or near my goal.

Okay, enough with this inspirational shit. I promise to put up new progress photos sometime this week. I’ve been doing them every 20 pounds, so we’ve finally hit the marker.

Andrea • January 14, 2006 at 4:37 pm

Thats awesome! I just came from the gym and had a great run. Wuldnt win any races or break any records but feeling fine. I hope the scale budges for me too. Keep with the inspirational poop- gives the rest of us hope instead of burying our heads in a bag of hershey’s minatures!!

Roxie • January 14, 2006 at 5:18 pm

Congrats on your one year anniversary! You are such an encouragement! I forgot to vote for Tia on DWTS but see that she made it to the next round. Look forward to seeing your latest photos.

Elizabeth • January 14, 2006 at 5:25 pm

WAY TO GO!! Happy anniversary!!!! :)

kathryn • January 14, 2006 at 11:08 pm

Happy anniversary! One third is something to celebrate. Can’t wait to see the pics. You are so smart to do the 20 pound photos – I really regret not having more “evidence” of my progress.

M. • January 15, 2006 at 2:16 am

Good job! I can’t say I’m surprised because I’m so used to you losing weight almost every week… Congratulations! I hope next year you’ll put your baggy size 16 up for sale on eBay, heh.

Fatslayer • January 15, 2006 at 7:41 am

CONGRATULATIONS! To stick to a new plan for a whole year is an incredible achievement, and to have lost 130lbs and a third of your body weight in that timeframe is jaw-droppingly awesome. You are the most inspiring woman I know – well done, you!

hopefulloser • January 15, 2006 at 11:18 am

Awesome! Congratulations!

You are my biggest motivator.

:-)

Dee • January 15, 2006 at 4:50 pm

YaY almost another milestone reached, I can’t wait for pictures (I’m a picture whore, can’t get enough of them! so keep ‘em a comin’).

You’re so right about time and how next year is still coming all we control is what we’ll be in it. I remember reading this line somewhere similar to what you say “A year from now you’d have wished you started today”.

You’ve done amazing in the last year, I had a giggle @ if your blog was a third of me you’d be packed up and gone heh. 130lbs is an amazing feat, hell 20lbs is an amazing feat! You’ve done so amazingly well, and I’m sorry but you are incredibly inspiring! ;P

Can’t wait til the 14th of Jan 2007… can’t wait to see where we all are.

Kristin • January 15, 2006 at 8:10 pm

Happy anniversary!

I’m glad to read about your success and I am surprised and grateful in response to the paragraph you have there about people who are just starting. I never had a weight loss blog until just recently, but I have a six year old livejournal and I see how many times I mentioned there that I was Starting Over Again — I could have been done three years ago! It’s frustrating, but it keeps me going.

Thanks for sharing so much of yourself.

G • May 6, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Wow! What insight … “a year from now you’re going to be a year older anyway” … I’ve never thought of it that way. You’ve just shifted my view of the process – and it’s all good!

I’ve just been going through your archives. I came across a mention of your blog in a Toronto (Canada) newspaper a couple of weeks ago. I’m really glad I found this site!

I’m only 4’10″ and am considered obese because of the weight I’m at. I have about 65-70 lbs to lose; some people may not think that’s much, but everyone’s struggles are different, and to me it’s a lot.

I’ve lost on occasion 20-25 lbs during a couple of serious attempts, but have always fallen off the wagon and gained it all back.

You’ve inspired me to go at it again and do it right this time. Thanks for your inspiration!!

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada